Utah Youth - Where Do the Orgs Stand?

HuntElk4Fun_

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-06 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]Is it just me or is Utah the worst state around for Youth opportunities. With the rising costs of hunting and the lack of programs in the state, I'm afraid the future of hunting is potentially very bleak.

{EDIT - since I goofed the price of the Youth tag}
I have a hard time wondering why a resident of Utah would keep his/her Youth in the state to hunt. Take a look at surrounding states. Wyoming's NR Youth tags are reasonably priced and Idaho's mentoring program is amazing. If you aren't familiar with Idaho's, look into it, your missing out! Other states offer premium Youth only tags, that are premium. I feel Utah's Youth tag is a start, but still think a Wyoming General youth tag blows it away!

I once questioned the DWR (at high levels) about this and was reminded that they offer a youth small game license at a reduced cost. WOW... I thought he was joking, but then realized he was serious- I felt offended.

My big question (knowing orgs and the DWR frequent this site) is what's in store for the future and where do these orgs stand on Utah's Youth opportunities? I would hope efforts are in place to hunt build for the future in Utah. As less people take up hunting, the more money we all will spend to make up the difference. I would think Utah would promote Youth opportunities, not stunt it as they do now.

Finally, I won't even get started how I can take my 12 yr old (and all my license fees, gas/food dollars, etc.) to another state, leaving Utah behind. Seems like Utah has missed the boat big time on this one. What's the future hold???

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I agree and hope that this issue get some more heat...
time ran out this year and will see some action shortly I hope.
I think Wyoming is the most youth hunter friendly state and the cheapest!
rm

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR PRICES FOR A YOUTH HUNT???

MY SON DREW A YOUTH ELK PERMIT LAST YEAR,I BELIEVE THE PRICE WAS 65.00???

IT MIGHT BE MORE THIS YEAR,I KNOW THEIR TACTICS!!!

PROBABLY THE BEST 65.00 I EVER SPENT!!!

OTHER STATES MIGHT BE BETTER,I'M NOT ARGUEING THAT!!!

I LOOK AT IT THIS WAY!!!

I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL I WAS 16 BEFORE I COULD HUNT BIG GAME,I WAS MORE THAN READY AT 12,BUT I WAITED TILL I WAS LEAGAL!!!

I HAD TO WAIT TILL I WAS 12 BEFORE I COULD HUNT SMALL GAME!!!

THINGS ARE ALOT DIFFERENT NOW!!!

I BELIEVE THE UDWR CHANGED THE AGE WHEN YOU CAN HUNT TO BENEFIT THEIR BACK POCKETS???

AS FAR AS THAT 280.00 PERMIT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT,WELL THATS PROBABLY AN L.E. ELK PERMIT & MY YOUTH WOULD PAY IT IN A HEARTBEAT FOR THE PERMIT & OPPORTUNITY AT A TROPHY BULL!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THERE SHOULD BE MORE BREAKS FOR YOUTH AND THE ELDERLY!!!

My bad, I thought the Youth tag was $280 as well. If it's $65, then that does raise the value considering the time of year, although it doesn't change my thoughts on the Youth opportunties in general. I'd still take a General Wyo. youth tag for $220.

All other states have youth prices, Utah does not. Granted the Youth tag is $65, but it's still the same price as an adult. Kids don't even get a break on a fishing license here either. Seems that every other Western state offers the kids a break.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

P.S. I don't know if 12 is the right age or not. I just know that my 12 yr old wants to hunt and I think he's ready to do so. I do know that all other states let you at 12, therefore Utah is missing the boat there and making it very easy for people like me to seek others states for the opportunity.... AND to spend my money. The more I spend elsewhere to allow my 12 yr old this chance, is less Utah and the DWR get. Times this across the board and that's alot of cash Utah is missing out on.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

I AGREE!!!

THEY GAVE MY DAD A BREAK A FEW YEARS AGO ON LICENSES & THEY'VE BASICALLY TOOK THAT TOO!!!

NOTHING MAKES ME MORE MAD THAN TAKING THINGS AWAY FROM THE ELDERLY THAT HAVE BUSTED THEIR BUTTS ALL THEIR LIVES!!!

IF YOU'VE GOT YOUTH I HIGHLY RECOMEND THE YOUTH ELK DRAW!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING FISHING LICENSES FOR 65 & OLDER OUGHT TO BE FREE!!!

The youth elk tag is only $65. That allows a hunter 14-18 years old to hunt the open bull units 3 weeks before the regular hunt. What other state allows the youth to hunt areas 3 weeks before other hunters? I say it is a bargain.

As for general youth tags I agree that the price could be cut. But $40 for a deer tag and $60 for an elk isn't too bad. Most kids spend $100 on a pair of shoes. Cut those in half and it could be good. The youth also get 15% of the deer tags set aside for them. I think every hunter 14 years old should get a deer tag.

Now the Limited entry tags.... I think they are priced just right. $65 for a limited entry deer tag, $280 for a once-in-a-lifetime elk tag, and the rest. These are tags that are special. Priorities need to be made for the special experiences, which don't happen every year. Comparing Idaho and Wyoming General Season hunts to Utah Limited Entry hunts is unfair. At least for elk.

Guys, giving the youth the opportunity to hunt 3 weeks prior to the general public is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but I have hunted the open bull units for over 20 years now including the last several LE years with youth hunters. It is not the hunt the DWR makes it out to be. Yes it's hunting, but the opportunity to kill a bull (and I'm not talking about a trophy) is not that great. Since they are the only open bull units in the state they get hammered. If you are hunting the North or South Slope areas the elk go deep into wilderness areas. If you don't have access to a horse or are willing to backpack into the Uintas for miles the odds are slim. The area that is West of Nephi, has very few bulls now. Most of that herd has been shot up. IMO it's not worth the effort. We hunted every day last season with a youth hunter and saw 2 bulls. One was through a spotting scope 2 miles away and the other ran across the road in front of us at 3:00 a.m. Not one bugle in all the time we spent in the woods and we covered a lot of ground on horses. Very, very tough hunting. Not what I would call an encouraging hunt for a youth hunter. Initially I think that was a ploy to bank more dollars and make people think that they were getting a quality tag for their kids to hunt. I have kids that hunt and I won't waste my time or money on the that tag. I'm with ODDnut, I will trailer horses and head for another state before I will spend $65 dollars on good horseback ride. Just my opinion though but I think that I have put in enough time on these units to make an educated statement.

www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom