Valle Caldera Youth Cow Help

Key

I will be going on a youth cow hunt this weekend on the Caldera. It's my first time hunting the Caldera and I was wondering if any folks can offer tips on hunting the cow herds this time of year. I am only given one day before to scout, so any tips would be appreciated to make that day of scouting and the hunt successful.

The Caldera staff is very helpful. They will assign you to a particular area so buy a map from them and ask all the staff about the particular unit your going to hunt. I would go get familiar with the unit that first afternoon till dark and mark with a GPS all the spots you see the elk, that way in the morning when you go in the dark, Early! before the sun comes up, your in position before they make there trek to the timber. I like to set up about 40 minutes before the sun comes up and listen for the bulls.If I hear them I get down wind from them and make my move towards the bugles staying in the timbers edge and start glassing. When you see the herd, try to cut them off before they make there move to the timber. Good Luck and have fun its truly an amazing place to hunt.

You wouldn't think so but cow hunts can be tough there because of the bull/cow ratio. We got ours on the last day of our hunt last year and success rate was around 50% when we left. Stay after it and you will have a good chance to tag out.

The hunt has changed and they no longer assign you to an area you can hunt the whole property with the exception of the area by the hwy and the lodge areas. Go all the way to the end of road VC09 on the east side hike up the road just to the top of the little knoll and wait.

How did you do in the VC, was your youth able to fill his or her tag. Share your experience as a first timer in the Valles Caldera. How is the park run now with the new management?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom