Valle Vidal Archery Hunt

huntnrich

I just returned from my Valle Vidal archery hunt. I've put in for this hunt since 1986. I've been lucky enough to go with 3 other people on this hunt during this long time that I've been applying. It's been about 8 yrs since the last time I went on this hunt. I've looked forward to drawing this hunt for 23yrs. I put a ton of time effort, resources, etc, into this hunt. I've never been more disappoint in a hunt in my life. When I was there in the past, we seen alot of bulls everyday, lots of 290-320 class bulls, and always a few great 340+bulls each day. I had no idea they had killed the quailty off so bad, A quide there told me the fish & Game had given 400+ bull tags a year for the last 3 years. I never talked to one hunter that seen a bull over 320. When I left I never talked to one hunter that had even let a arrow fly.
We packed in and stayed for a week, never seeing a bull over 300", I could have shot many bulls that where 5 points, and small 6 points. But I never spent a couple thousand dollars, and so much planning to shoot such a small bull. Valle Vidal is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but I could have packed in anytime if all I wanted to do was enjoy a great camping trip. Once in a lifetime, should mean something great. I can't believe the fish & Game would allow the quality to go do so low before they cut the permits back(this year).

Its been overrated for a few years now. Greed is ruining alot of so called Q hunting.

It's sad but the Game & Fish do not even patrol it anymore. I can't remember the last time I saw a Game & Fish officer in Valle Vidal.

Greed is the root to the decrease in quality when it come to game and fish. More tags lead to more revenue. Natural resource have become the states "Cash Cow". The Gila has suffered for years. I feel for ya. I will make sure I wipe that unit off my "Wish list".

Luckily I've never had to experience what you just did....so I can only imagine how sick you are over this. I live in AL but I've hunted NM several times over the years and I really love the place. I have never hunted the Valle Vidal, but as most of us 'nons' believe.....I thought that this was the Holy Grail of elk hunting and that I'd never be lucky enough to draw a tag. I am sorry to hear this about such a place, thank you for posting this to inform the rest of us of this shameful management of such a resource. Good luck and I hope this sore spot gets better for you soon.

The outfitter/guide is way off. Bull tags for this year: 70 rifle, 40 Bow and 35 Muzzleloader. 145 bull tags total. Last year it was around 150. The area had low moisture this year in spring and early summer. Early hunt was pretty dry as there was almost no good rain in the month of August. Didn't get much rain until Sept. 8th or so. Early hunting reports all over NM were the same. Full moon with dry conditions in the north and little bugling activity made for tough hunting.

A couple years ago I ate tag soup their also. Saw several 320+ bulls but couldn't get a good shot. Guy from Ohio on his own shot a 380+ pig near L. Costilla and another bull, in the 350 range, was killed in the low country. Outfitter next to us got his client a good 330 bull. Sorry it didn't work out.

You hear alot of talk, but when you see pictures of what comes out of there, It is not 350 class bulls. My friend shot a 5x5 around 280 class there. The biggest bull he saw the whole hunt was around 320. It was the early Oct muzzleloader hunt. Always the best for elk. I think it is the LOs/ranches that border the valle vidal that hurt quality. I am sure there are a few bruisers, but definiltely not as good as it could be. From what I have seen and heard, about a 280-310 bull is decent overall for that unit with a few rare exceptions.

That is sad and sorry to hear about your hunt! It is becoming a reality in most units here in NM. They care more for money than quality. I still say WAAAYYYY too many land vouchers and over allotment of tags in 15, etc. My soap box!

>That is sad and sorry to
>hear about your hunt! It
>is becoming a reality in
>most units here in NM.
>They care more for money
>than quality. I still say
>WAAAYYYY too many land vouchers
>and over allotment of tags
>in 15, etc. My soap
>box!

I agree, when will people wake up about unit 15. NOTHING like it was. Hey, I bring this up because enough noise can bring change. LOs are screaming for tags. We need to take them to task. Just like VV someone will say, I say a 380 and 2 360s etc. Its mostly talk. I remember the PICTUREs from 15 years ago. 400 class bulls regularly.

A father/son combo pulled two nice bulls for the same hunt you described, their experience was nothing like what you described. Sorry your hunt went south so quickly. Headed up there for the muzz hunt with the wife. What "honeyhole" did you hunt so as to avoid a repeat of your misfortune?

>A father/son combo pulled two nice
>bulls for the same hunt
>you described, their experience was
>nothing like what you described.
>Sorry your hunt went south
>so quickly. Headed up there
>for the muzz hunt with
>the wife. What "honeyhole" did
>you hunt so as to
>avoid a repeat of your
>misfortune?

I know these guys, They said they saw a 370 bull in there and had tons of action. The son killed a 330 bull the first day of the second hunt, the dad somewhere around 300. You were just in the wrong place this year. I went with them one day and scouted a few days before thier hunt and we saw a couple bulls, one over 300 for sure but they did not make a peep, not one, and they even had cows. The rut in the first archery hunt was pretty slow. I was in unit 53 and the action was slow, although I missed a 300+ bull one day on a rushed shot and shot over the back. I seen raghorns with velvet still on!! that was the 10th

Headed out for the smokepole hunt this weekend. Hopefully I have better luck than the archery crew. During my scouting trip the weekend of the 12th, the bulls were bugling until about 9:30AM and quiet until the evening. Expected to see more elk than we did. 3 more days NMbghuntr, 3 more days!!!

Sneekey

3 more days is right! I am looking forward to this hunt after the success we had there last year. Anybody have any pics from the archery hunts?

NMbghuntr

Headed up tonight to take camper and do a bit more looking around. My whole rig/outfit is blue, stop in for a cold one and to visit. Blue mega cab, blue and grey tazor 5th wheel. The only success and pix I have seen are from Ricardo's hunt.

Good luck to you and your wife on this hunt Toro! NMbghuntr and I will be leaving tomorrow morning but likely won't get there until the afternoon. Hopefully we find a spot in the Cimarron Campground. By the way, you wouldn't happen to be from Q?

Sneekey

Everything Ive heard on this thread is pretty accurate. As a guide in the Valle since 2001 I can tell you that last year (2008) was the worst year ive seen since I started. The Bull tag numbers had been higher before this year 35 Archery/35 Muzzy/ 110 Rifle in 2006, 2007, 2008 for a total of 180 bull tags. We applied and drew less clients this year because of the lack of quality towards the end of the season last year.

Having said this, I spent much of September in the Valle scouting and found very little elk. It was very dry up there! Somebody must have flipped the Elk switch on Oct 1st, because this past weekend on the Muzzleloader hunt I was pleased to find more elk than any other previous hunt on the Valle! Vermejo bulls coming to breed cows? Maybe. Our camp was fortunate enough to kill 3 bulls Saturday and 1 Sunday. Bulls taped out at 300", 320", 345", 371"!!! Last bull was the largest ive ever seen on the hoof or on the ground in the Valle. All in all i think it was a great idea to lower tag numbers and drop a rifle hunt for this year.

tega52,

I am glad to hear that you guys had good hunt up there. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the hunts go this year. Do you guys have hunts up there for rifle in the coming weeks?

This past weekend, how was the rut doing? Did bulls come into calls good or was it a spot/stalk hunt scenario?

Would love to see some pics of those bulls if you have them.

The rut was in full swing this past weekend, probably a couple weeks later than last year up there. We got into a pocket with so many different elk that I didnt have to do much calling other than to stop the bulls for a shot. They were bugling right outa the truck. We didnt shoot our first bull until 10am, the 345", running his cows and chasing off smaller bulls! They were still making noise at noon while we caped him out! Ive had several different hunters up there in the past and Saturday was honestly one of the best days hunting elk I can remember.

Ive got great pics of both bulls and will post them just as soon as I get the courtesy "ok" from the hunters.

We dont have any hunters this weekend, but I do have one for the week of the 17th.

Congrats on your wife's bull Toro! We tried the area where she killed hers but had another hunter shoot as we were getting into position. The whole mountain went quiet after that. Here's my 09 Valle Vidal bull. Down to Unit 15 with NMbghuntr this weekend!

Sneekey

4ad6440337a054f5.jpg

One of my coaching buddie's brothers where there last week and said they saw lots of bulls, and they should have came home with a bull just couldn't close the deal.

Saw a total of 15 bulls that weekend so they were definitely around. We hunted the higher portion of Valle Vidal and it sounds like we didn't have the type of experience they had in the McCrystal area. The bull I finally killed was the largest we had seen and it took some work just to get into his bedding area and put him down. He was rutting but would not respond to calling.

Sneekey

Hey Sneekey now you're fibbing!! The largest bull you saw was the one in the back of my truck!!! LOL Hey when we were walking out with Dee's bull that afternoon, they were screaming!! We saw your truck but didn't meet you guys on the trail. Here are some of the photos we took of the wife's 09 VV Bull. (hopefully)

044.jpg

050.jpg

038.jpg

068.jpg

016.jpg

Damn!! Almost forgot, TEGA52, Thanks again man. Without your help and the horses we'd have died trying to carry him out!! I've got you CROWN in the freezer..

You are right Toro, her bull was the biggest we saw that weekend. Saw the Dodgefest on that road, so we knew that was the place to park. We went a little too far to the east when we walked up that opening. After a bit, we snapped what we had done and headed for the bottom of the mountain.

Sneekey

Sneekey - How'd the hunt go for you guys last weekend? We have a cow authorization for 53, but gonna wait for next week and see if I can pick up a couple ES tags for the girls. Should be a great hunt with the weather pushing all the bulls down.

Toro

The hunt down south was great! We actually had more rut action than we did in Valle Vidal, considering it was two weeks later. My nephew (NMbghuntr) posted pics of his bull on the 15 Success post. I am anxiously waiting the upcoming youth sale in hopes of getting one of those ES for my son. He did not draw a single tag this year, but can't complain with the 3 for 3 he had last year. Still debating on which tag to pull, assuming we get in and can pick the tag to buy. Hunted your home town two years ago for my son's cow tag and it was a frigid -21 degrees when we got off the truck. Good luck to you and your girls on the 28th and hope they can get something in your backyard. Oh yeah, we may be crowding your area too!

Sneekey

Thats cool Sneek, no prob on coming up to 53 good luck with getting your boy a tag hope it goes well. I'll keep you informed on how it goes for us. These second sales are a pain, usually cant get logged in. We picked up a cow tag for one of the girls so I'll only be looking for one of the ES tags, prob the Dec hunt, give the big boys a chance to get pushed out of the hills.

What's the latest Toro? I guess you were probably able to get your daughter a tag for 53. I bought a unit 49 tag for my son and two of my nephews bought for the same hunt too. I just checked the department web site and there are still tons of tags available and that's considering the sale has been on for almost 3 hours. Next weekend, muleys in 2B! What a fall it's been! Good luck!

Sneekey

Only 21 tags went for 53, I thought for sure they'd be gone in an hour. I think the "ineligible" rule played abig factor in this sale. Let me know how it goes in 2B we didn't get any deer so I'm missing it, send me pix! The deer are my favorite by far. Keep in touch and let me know how the elk hunt goes for your boy.

Toro

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom