Valle Vidal Late Cow Hunt Results

hjbuys

Thanks to those of you who gave me advice for my hunt. The hunt started on Saturday the 6th. I got up there at ~4:45 and parked at the corral by the valle vidal valley. We started walking at around 6:00. Just before light, we heard bugles and cow calls and found ourselves on a large herd of a few hundred elk just to our left (East) about 1000 yards. Of course they were in a wide open valley and once it was light, we had no chance at getting close to them. The herd moved down the valley to the south where there were some small hills I thought I could get behind. I walked down the West side of the valley and then moved East and got behind a rocky point on one of the small hills in the middle of the valley. The elk herd had continued to move slowly South and were just on the other side of the rocks. I picked out a cow standing broadside at what I thouht was ~150 yards and took the shot. She jumped a bit, turned around in a circle, and then tumbled to the ground. Once my buddy caught up with the range finder, turns out the shot was really 320 yards. Man, it was hard to judge distances out in the open like that. Fortunately I had aimed high on the shoulder. Shot the cow at 8:00, and then spent the next 8 hours getting it out. Like I said, distances were hard to judge out there. I didn't realize I had followed them a couple of miles out into the meadow. It was tough getting her out, but a great day. Thanks again to those who helped.

HJBUYS

congrats! hope to see some pics! we do enjoy the pictures of successful huntin trip! beautiful place is it?

vinihunt

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom