Valle Vidal Success???????

U

Username

Just wondering how the hunting is in the Valle right now. Have a tag for the first rifle hunt and was hoping to hear some success stories to keep my spirits up. Just got back from my buddies bow hunt near Angel Fire and came home empty handed due to some rookie mistakes on the part of my buddy. Managed to call the only bull that was bugling to within 15 yards and my pal who shall remain nameless decided to try and stand and shoot instead of taking a kneeling shot and ended up spooking the bull off. Next day saw a smaller bull feeding across an old logging road and with a little cow calling managed to get him headed back towards us about 50 yards quartering away buddy gets to about half draw and hits his release sending the arrow 5 feet in front of us scaring off the elk. That's the breaks I guess all in all a good first bow hunt, now it's up to me to come through in the Valle. Good luck and good Hunting to all.

I guess I'll be skipping my hunt on the Valle since no one is seeing or heard any stories of the success up there. Nah, fact is I already know where to find them, I was just wanting to hear and see some pics of sucessful hunters up there. When I get back I'll post my own pics and a story of the sucessful hunt I will have just returned from.

well since you'll be up there the hunt before i will you can tell me where the elk are please ha ha

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-08 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]Not a problem, don't mind helping a fellow hunter at all especially on a hunt that I will never draw again in my life. Don't know why everyone is so tight lipped on this post, it's not as if one has to keep his hidey hole a secret in this unit, you only draw once twice if you put in for cow. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet and therefore don't rate, who knows. Anyway still wish everyone much success on their hunts. Which campground do you prefer to stay at? I usually stay at the lower one closer to the area I am familiar with. Heard of any nice bulls coming out of there? I'll shoot you a PM to get your info and give you a heads up on what I see.

Thanks vichris, checked it out and was nice to see something to look forward to. One more week.

sounds like a great plan i actually had the youth hunt in 05 and camped at the mccrystal campground and this year my dad drew second choice second rifle hunt and i'll be up there for that i hope they aren't to spooked from your hunt although i do know a patch of thick dark timber they may run too any ideas on how to handle the second rifle hunt since they will be spooked from the muzzleloader and first rifle hunt?

My buddy drew a cow tag there a few years back. We called in several nice bulls but never saw a cow, go figure. What I took away from that hunt was the bulls come to calls there.

When we left we stopped and read some of the notes hunters leave at the box on the way out. One was written by a lady who said her husband had put her in for the hunt. She wasn't planning on going but her Saturday morning bridge game was canceled earlier that week. They drove into the mountain, parked and called in her 7x7 a half hour after sun up. She was going to make it to her afternoon luncheon.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom