Valles Caldera on Game Commission Agenda Today

>Vote was taken......one more time, 100%
>unanimous against SB 285 transferring
>to NPS.

Excellent news Jim. I guess Jamaro didn't have a vote.

I thought the most interesting presentation was Jeremy telling the Commissioners that they were all criminals, based on their Vote to oppose the VC transfer at the last meeting, He said that that was a criminal act therefore they were all criminals. His standing with the Commissioners probably went off the scale with that charge

Fast,

I am not posting to try and change you mind, but am posting to hopefully help keep the discussion factual. If you watch the tape again you'll clearly see that I did not call anyone a criminal as you stated above. I just informed the commissioners that breaking the open meetings act (as they did at the last meeting) carries criminal penalties for them personally. If you don't believe me, read it here:
http://www.nmag.gov/consumer/publications/openmeetingsactcomplianceguide

We've already suggested that commissioners do the training offered by the Attorney General's office in how to comply with government sunshine laws, and I was letting them know that they can't count on getting off so easy in the future. (The AG's office determined that they did break the Open Meetings Act at the last meeting.) I told them that in my opinion they should take the training because it is serious business.

I also reminded the commission that without NMWF we'd probably still be seeing 75 percent of bull tags going to non-residents.

As far as S285, we've looked into the facts and seen a pattern of leaving hunting programs in place at the other 18 NPS preserves and that was not contradicted today. Once hunting programs are in place at the National Preserves the pattern is that they stay open.

Did you catch the part about the directorate suggesting that congress should give Valles Caldera to the State Game Commission?

Jeremy

The idea was that the VC revert to the Forest service and then the management of the VC would be run by the Game Dept.by agreement reached between the Forest service and the Dept, a much better scenario in my opinion from a hunters standpoint than the Park service.
Note the restriction the Park service puts on elk hunting in the Teton, Hunters can have only 7 bullets, bullets must be copper only, no elk calls allowed, These are not restriction that come from Game Dept management, they are restrictions placed by the Park Service people , people who I refer to as sandal wearing butterfly chasers who are not all that thrilled to be forced into allowing any hunting on Park service lands.
Note the groups supporting the Park service option, Sierra club, Wilderness Alliance, etc and then the supporters of the Forest service option if the VC can not be fiscally viable. The American Wildlife Conservation Partners, representing millions of hunters and conservationist from through out the country including all of the big names like Rocky Mt Elk , Wild Turkey Fed, NRA, SCI, Mule Deer Foundation, Boone and Crockett, Association of Forest Service Retirees, Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership, Wild sheep Foundation. Plus many more, but I am tired of typing. Jeremy could you list the organizations that spoke in favor of the Park Service option.
Now that this bill, SB 285 is out in the sunshine it looks like it is getting attention that this legislation deserves from all of the major stake holders and it has pretty much run its course.

Have a good day

Jack,

Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership actually removed its name from the opposition letter after the bill was amended in committee. The list you are working from is from before the committee vote.
Some of the sportsmen groups speaking in favor of the legislation were Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Trout Unlimited, Sportsmen Concerned, NMWF and other local clubs have sent letters.
I agree that limiting bullets in Teton National PARK is BS. I also think it was BS when the Forest Service shut hunters out of the Manzano Mountains after the Ojo Fire, or when the Forest Service shut the public out of portions of the Jemez after the Conchas fire out of concern that a burned tree might fall on us. Hell, I'd rather be limited to seven bullets than be shut out. The point is that every agency has its warts and stupid things it has done. If you look at the overall facts and trends, you'll find that NPS Preserves tend to keep the hunting programs in place. In fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find an NPS Preserve with more restrictions than the Caldera has now. Hunting is only allowed for two species right now. We've been pushing for years that the Caldera ought to let us hunt more species. Grouse are a good example. I've gotten grouse right off the northern boundary and it would be nice for at least a few hunts to be offered on the preserve.

Based on your comment about the Forest Service, you may not have realized that the directorate prepared a report on the idea of the Caldera being handed over to the State Game Commission. It was titled "Prospective Transfer of the Valles Caldera National Preserve to the New Mexico State Game Commission" I thought you saying you supported that option at the meeting, but must have been mistaken.

I'm tired of typing too, hope you have a good weekend. I think as hunters we need to plan for both contingencies. Whether the bill passes or doesn't we need to be prepared to keep up enforcement levels and habitat and good hunting. Hope you'll support us in getting hunting expanded into backcountry portions of Bandelier too. Have a great weekend!

Jeremy

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom