Valles Caldera??????????????

CABugle

I drew the second rifle hunt on the Valles Caldera. For those of you that have hunted this would you recommend going guided or is easy enough to do it yourself? Also how are the roads as far a getting around? I understand that once there I will be given a unit within the reservation to hunt, If this is correct which unit are known as the better units? What camp grounds have you guys used? Any other info would be great. Thank in advance.

CABugle

There is a campgrounds on Forest land to camp in. Don't worry to much about the units won't do any good anyways until you arrive 2 days early for orintation.

Basically each unit is a mountain. You can drive to the base of it - decent roads. Then it is going to be up to you. The pack out can be tough. But they will supply the names and numbers of some local packers if you kill.

It is an exciting hunt. Can you do it on your own. Yes - that is if you are a "Elk Hunter" and in shape - more than likly you will be chasing them up the mountain in the mornings and on top of it in the evenings so 1000 to 3000 vertical feet a couple of times a day.

Will be in there with a friend on the archery hunt this year so it should be fun.

They will answer some of your questions in the packet they will send you. You can stay in a FS campground nearby, or just set up camp on FS land. The campground is probably safer if you're leaving anything valuable there while your hunting. There are also some lodges in La Cueva about 10 miles from entrance.

I would rate the terrain from easy to moderate, compared to most places I've hunted. It is certainly a good "do-it-yourself" hunt. By the 2nd rifle hunt it will be harder to find a really big bull, based on the scores they showed us last year. Still the success rate was essentially 100%. Some units are better than others, but nothing you can do about it. On the archery hunt I was on they did a redraw after a couple of days, so you have a chance to move to a better unit, or at least a different unit, if you want to. It was kind of funny because lots of guys thought the unit "on the other side of the road" was better, and ended up just switching places, classic "green-grass syndrome".

In general I found the guys that worked there to be very friendly and helpful, or at least they tried to be helpful. They also had one or two game carts you can borrow.

Good luck,
JR

Only reasons you would need a guide is that you have not hunted elk before or have little experience, or you are concerned about judging antlers.

If you have not hunted elk much you may consider a guide just so you make the most of the tag.

This will be most likely the easiest elk hunt you have ever been on.

I would agree with the post that if you are an elk hunter you don't need a guide. There are lots of elk in most all the units and only a few that aren't really good. The inside info that a guide might tell you he has that you would need is probably available from the guys who work on the Preserve. At the orientation there will be people there to point you in the direction of good areas to hunt in all the units, they are there to make your hunt successful and are very helpful. If you aren't an elk hunter well then you have probably a once in a lifetime tag and maybe you will need some help as by the 2nd rifle season the elk are definitely harder to catch up to. Last year I was there filming a rifle hunt and it was tough , I was suprised actually as I had a archery tag the year before and figured it would be a slamdunk but it wasn't. We settled the last day for a 290ish bull after passing a 330-340 bull the first day. If you want to see what the area is like and some great footage buy Extreme Bulls 4 and there are two archery hunts on it that were filmed in 06 on the Caldera. Good luck and enjoy your hunt it is a beautiful place and don't let trying to kill a 350+ bull take away from an awesome hunt that you may never get again. nwhunter

Was fishing there the 23rd and 25th of May. Saw hundreds of Elk. Saw some quality bulls hangimg high on frindge of meadows. I would not even think about a guide there were so many elk.

By now you are getting a few guide brochures in the mail I am sure and if you are considering doing a guided hunt pm me and I will tell you one not to use after seeing his antics last year. I felt terrible for his client last year. nwhunter

Hey guys, thanks for all of the info on the Caldera.
If anyone has any other info please feel free to share, thanks again.... I'm still walking on air!

CABugle

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom