Value of spotting scopes at high magnification

Timberdoodle

I know i have a fairly cheap scope by many people's standards on here (Nikon Spotter XL 16-48 x 60), but i'm considering upgrading to either a higher quality spotter or a pair of 15x binocs and was wondering how functional the higher magnification (maybe above 20x) truly is for most of you. It seems like even under decent conditions, once i go above 20x, i either lose image quality due to heat shimmers or the images get a little dark. Main use would be for muleys, antelope, and to a lesser extent elk. Any thoughts?

I have what is considered one of the top of the line scopes.....swaro sts 80.....and it gets not very good over about 48x.....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I agree with D13er. But on some occasions conditions have been just right to make 60x worth having. fatrooster.

Extremely valuable to me. I can see much more detail at 60X than I can with 20X. This has eliminated many long and useless stalks on bucks that were not quite what I thought they were.

I hunt the high timberline country in several states and I can see stuff on 60X that a 20X can never do, even if it isn't quite as clear. I use a Leica 20x60x80mm on a stout tripod.

I use the higher magnifications (50x - 60x) often on my scope. However, there are certainly times when conditions (mirage, poor visibility, low light, etc) limit the usefulness of the higher end magnifications. Optical quality is also a big factor. I have two scopes; one midrange and one top shelf. As one might expect, the top shelf scope performs much better at the higher magnifications.

Don't get sucked into the 60/62/65mm Spotting Scope and a 60x eyepiece... 60+/- mm Spotting scopes loose all resolution when you go past 45x... For the higher power scopes you need a large objective lens... When you go up in magnification in a binocular or spotting scope everything becomes more critical? so the more optically correct the better the image. This translates into the higher quality units that always cost more than the mid or low end. You can't bend but not break the laws of optics?.NJS

I would agree that on lesser quality units, the higher power is probably wasted. However on better units, mine is a Swarovski 65mm HD ATS, IMHO the higher powers are very usable and useful.

I have the Zeiss fl 15x45x65. I've also used the 20x60x80. In my opinion, once above 45 power you really sacrifice light transmission. You wil also get much more heat distortion using higher magnification. The 80mm was noticably larger and heavier than the 65mm I think I made the right choice between the two.

I also think it makes a difference on the quality of the glass. I often use the higher power, even up an dincluding 60X. I often glass elk at 2 miles away and could not judge them with out that higher magnification. There is no dought that heat mirage and diminissing light do effect the image and limit your ability at certain times at the higher magnifications. I have got pictures with my digiscoping set up where you can read the year sticker on a license plate at 250 yards on 60X. I use the higher magnifications a lt.

Rod

You get what you pay for with glass! I likely wouldn't consider buying anything other than Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss...especially if you do a lot of trophy judging. I looked through a Swaro last year and was amazed! If you do much trophy hunting you will be amazed at how many miles good glass will save you hiking plus you will be able to field judge that much better.

Obviously heat and moisture waves will influence what power and distance you can glass effectively. I often field judge at close range so cranking up to the highest power will be that much better than a lower power scope. In the middle of the day in 80 degree sunshine you likely won't be able to effectively judge anything with more than about 30x (depending upon the conditions and distance).

One thing to consider is weight and bulk. I just sold my Leica Televid 77 and bought a smaller/lighter 62. The 62 will be a lot easier packing. There will be times I'll probably wish I had my 77, but for the most part I think the 62 will suffice. The 62 uses the same exact variable lens, however instead of being 20-60x on the 77 it mysteriously changes to 16-48x on the 62. There is a loss of 12x but I won't miss lugging that Big Bertha 77 around any more!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom