Varget for M1A

CHWino_1

I'm not a high volume poster but thought I'd share this one.

I bought a Springfield M1A about 6-7 years ago. I wasn't expecting great accuracy from this gun. Its not the match grade rifle just the standard rig.

As I'm a reloader I HAD to do some tinkering. I held to the very old Zedeker publishing that is known as the bible for all info regarding M1 Garand and M1A/M14. There is talk of not loading too hot of loads or too slow burning powders for fear of damaging the operating rod.

I broke the gun in using USA's factory 147 grain ammo. They seemed pretty spicy but didn't shoot all that well. I wanted a hunting load for deer and pigs so I thought a 150 grain ballistic tip would be about right.

After some experimenting I settled on 44 grains of IMR 4064. The groups were better but the brass would not always eject. A few years went on and I revisited IMR 4046 but this time with 125 grain bullets. Good groups and cycling of brass, but its not a very hard hitting round.

Now using the internet I found people talking about using the very versatile Varget. Turns out that when Zedeker did all of his work (I'm guessing in the 50's?) Varget wasn't even invented yet. 43.5 grains with Federal 210M primers has created a great grouping load for me anyway. Haven't run it through the Chrony yet but it shoots very well.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-18 AT 08:14AM (MST)[p]My M1A Scout Squad is VERY accurate. It LOVES IMR4985. That is about the slowest burning powder I use. For mine, IMR 4064 is too slow and will throw the cycle timing off. That wont hurt your gun but makes accuracy suffer. Try IMR4895 and Benchmark. Both give stellar accuracy in mine.

dwsksGY.jpg

Clockwise starting at 12 O'clock. All are loaded with IMR4895 and just cranked out on a Dillon 550b.. 165 Sierra HPBT Gameking, 150 Hornady FMJ-BT, 150 Sierra SPBT, 168 Sierra HPBT Matchking. All shot at 100 yards off sand bags.

wrPWHOC.jpg

Good luck,

Todd

IMR-4895 and H-4895 are proven good loads for both the M1-A1 in 308 and the Garand M-1 in 30-06. I believe H-4895 was the original military powder for both calibers.

RELH

For expert advice on the M1a/M14 check out the m14 forum.
Some of the members are the best of the best in regards to the M14 platform.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom