Varmint Call Work on Bucks?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Varmint Call Work on Bucks?

Hey Guys! I carry and keep handy a varmint call on every hunt since i was a teenager. I've just found it to be an invaluable tool and used it for a lot more purposes than just calling in the yotes. Mine is an old dying rabbit call and a lot of the time, Does will come busting in ready and looking for a fight!

My question, does your calling, call in buck Blacktails?

I've taken more than several dozens nice blacktail bucks, i've called in lots of does when trying to call in a yote. I just haven't called in any bucks while using my call. How about you, has it worked on bucks for you and is it worth trying IYO?

Joey

RE: Varmint Call Work on Bucks?

Joey, interesting experience with that call. I had a guy back in the 70's tell me a similar story using the wounded rabbit call to attract blacktails while varmint hunting. This guy also called in some does but never a buck. I'm thinking the does are just more curious about the unusual squeeling noise and come in to check it out. Bucks are more warry and skiddish so if they do check the sound out. They must be doing it from a longer distance while staying in cover.

))))........>

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-11 AT 10:24AM (MST)[p]TH, Yes, could very well be.

My thoughts were that the sound was close enough to a wounded fawn that the does came running to fight off whatever may be hurting one of their own young ones. We'll probably never know the for sure answer to that one, at least not in every case, but i'm still wondering if some have seen it where bucks will come running or even respond too.

I know i'd come running if my kid was off screaming bloody murder but maybe the male Blacktail does not possess the protective maternal instincts of the female of the specie. :)

Joey

I think it probably is the maternal instinct that does have to cause them to respond. I've heard of that before.

Back when potato guns were all the rage, a buddy and I took them up on the mountain with us deer hunting. During the heat of the day we would pull over at the top of the old cut blocks, walk over to the edge, and lob potatoes down over the hill trying to "flush out" a buck. You can shoot a potato a lot farther than you can throw a rock. It never worked but I'm sure a lot of deer were thinking WTF?

Desperate people do desperate things.:)

Eel

I've called lots of does in and a trapper buddy of mine actually got attacked by a doe. About seven years ago I was calling coyotes with a wounded rabbit mouth call and had a herd of deer come from about a half a mile away to the call. They were all does and fawns except one forked horn buck was with them.They came to within 100 yds.

I use varmit calls alot when hunting in brush. I have never had one come in but what they will do is stand up and look at you or run. Works on both Blacktails and Muledeer. It worked great for me in Wyoming last year hunting the sagebrush.
Don

I have heard that the squeal of a dying rabbit closely resembles the same call of a fawn in distress and make cause does to respond.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON May-23-11 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Actually we have called in 2 BT bucks with the old weems coyote call, but they were both small and running with does. I have called in a number of does and a few mule deer as well. I don't think a mature buck will fall for it unless its in the rut and he won't leave a doe.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Hey Guy! Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. I like carrying my call with me and figure i'll continue to do so. Maybe one day a shooter bruiser will come running in, who knows. A couple of times, i've used it to get a buck to stand up...it does work for that.

And then there's the bunches of coyotes i've poleaxed during scouting days or in the middle of a hunt day when the temptation trumped over stealth of the hunt. I like taking out a coyote near as much as taking a buck, not as much, but almost. Somebody has to do it! :)

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-11 AT 11:34PM (MST)[p]Joey, i had a guy tell me a "story" of using a dying rabbitt mouth call on blacktails and got the bucks to stand up so he could see them. His story was if he hadn't used the call, he'd never have seen the bucks. And one was a bruiser. So there must be something to it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom