VC Advice/Info

jschaffer

I was very lucky to draw a 2nd rifle season bull tag for the VC. My first time there. I hear this year all hunters will be able to hunt anywhere (no specific unit assigned). I will talk with the folks at and after the orientation, but wondering if those of you who have hunted the VC before had any advice for which areas would be best to start scouting/looking for a bull. A few other questions:

- how's the moisture been in NM this year? Great here in Wyoming and was hoping the same down there for antler growth.
- what is a realistic expectation for a bull on the VC? Is 310-320 worth aiming for?
- I am planning on camping at the Jemez Falls campground. Is that a wise choice, or are there better areas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most of the state has had exceptional moisture. Looks to be a great year.

310-320 is reasonable expectation. Lots of broken bulls on that hunt, and that 2nd rifle can be tough.

Normally we stay in Jemez at the motel. Always has been a good deal.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom