VC board decision

earlyriser

In case you were unaware. An excerpt from the official release.

"In another action, the Board voted to amend the pricing structure of the elk hunt lottery by
increasing the ticket price for elk hunts by $10. Last year the Trust reduced the number of
lottery tickets an individual could purchase to one ticket per hunt to ensure fairness and
equity for public land hunters. The new policy of ?one tag, one chance? attracted over 1,000
new hunters but resulted in a 42% decline in revenue from the previous year?s hunt.
The Board decided to retain the ?one tag, one chance? policy but voted to raise ticket prices
by $10 to address the revenue shortfall. The lottery ticket prices for 2015 will be $35 for a
bull hunt and $20 for antlerless hunts.
The Board expects that improved marketing of the ?one tag, one chance? policy will attract
more applicants to put in for a chance to experience one of the best hunting opportunities
in New Mexico."

Imagine what increased marketing would do under the old rules (20 ticket limit). How about "Buy 20 and help save the VC".

I took an elk van tour on Friday and the driver said they get $10 per head on cattle per day. They currently have 800 head. So what... $8000/day just on cattle.

Marketing and funding are in there. Sometimes in out of the way places.

My vote: let me buy as many tickets as my wallet can afford.

Discloser: I drew the first bull/rifle hunt this year on 1 ticket.

Money and politics aside, I LOVE THE VALLES CALDERA!! Elk Disney World! :D

I don't think those cattle numbers are accurate. Who would pay that when you can hay them for a buck or two a day? That would cost each cow close to $2,000 to spend the summer there. In NM beef cows are selling for around $1-$1.25 per pound on the hoof right now which would make these cows sell for a huge loss after a year or two at $10 a day.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-14 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]>Thought the same thing. Tour
>bus drivers are probably about
>as reliable as the internet.
>

Going rate is $8.00 a mo. per head.
That is unless you get it on internet or tour van driver with the inside scoop....

$8.00 a mo. per head is going rate. Unless you go thru internet or tour van driver with an inside scoop....

I must of misheard.....gosh!!

--maybe it was $8/hour. And I heard that from the guy at the gift shop NEAR the VC.....so it's true!

Hard to believe they throw the "got to be fair to everyone" into the Caldera lottery. Its just mind boggling to me that anything the government gets ahold of they end up screwing it up for those that have worked hard and done well to better themselves. It's a constant fight to bring everyone DOWN to the same level rather than encouraging them to do better.
I could see if they were "giving" tags away, go ahead and level the field, but come on...The lottery is there to make money!
They are going to risk tanking the entire operation to avoid hurting the feelings of the cry babies that don't want people dumping money into because "it's not fair"
The proof is in the results of last year, how many more bad years can this place take?

>Hard to believe they throw the
>"got to be fair to
>everyone" into the Caldera lottery.
>Its just mind boggling to
>me that anything the government
>gets ahold of they end
>up screwing it up for
>those that have worked hard
>and done well to better
>themselves. It's a constant fight
>to bring everyone DOWN to
>the same level rather than
>encouraging them to do better.
>
>I could see if they were
>"giving" tags away, go ahead
>and level the field, but
>come on...The lottery is there
>to make money!
>They are going to risk tanking
>the entire operation to avoid
>hurting the feelings of the
>cry babies that don't want
>people dumping money into because
>"it's not fair"
>The proof is in the results
>of last year, how many
>more bad years can this
>place take?

My thoughts exactly. The Government can find a way to screw up a wet.... Well you know.

I wrote up a long response regarding this issue but I deleted it because it's an argument in futility. What we do need to do is send correspondence supporting hunting on the VC or we're going to loose it all together. Oh by the way I' m a fortunate one that can afford multiple tickets but I personally think this is fair.

Anthony Garcia

Pnuts. Glad you are blessed in being financially able to afford as many tickets as you wanted in the past. I too was blessed likewise in living in this great country of ours and having that financial ability as well however, a question for you.
Truthfully, would you feel the same way if you were on the other side of the spectrum and were unable to financially afford all the tickets you wanted? Just a thought.

I have no problem with creating opportunity, or trying to help everyones odds. Not at the sake of financial ruin.

There is a lack of creativity that is inherent with government bureaucracies. They know no matter how bad of decision they make their job will be there next year. There is no accountability.
It is a political game rather than what makes sense.

There are so many things they can do to create revenue AND increase odds.

They can Split the tickets, and have half go towards a 20 ticket max and half go single.
They could market the hunts. They could auction off 1 or 2 hunts.

Nope, Complete lack of creativity and initiative. That is the nature of the government running a business.

There is always a bigger concern about not getting into trouble or pissing off higher ups rather than success.

>Pnuts. Glad you are blessed in
>being financially able to afford
>as many tickets as you
>wanted in the past. I
>too was blessed likewise in
>living in this great country
>of ours and having that
>financial ability as well however,
>a question for you.
>Truthfully, would you feel the same
>way if you were on
>the other side of the
>spectrum and were unable to
>financially afford all the tickets
>you wanted? Just a
>thought.

This is exactly the problem.
Everyone wants a steak dinner life when they are living on a beans and potatoes budget. If you can't afford it, you don't do it or you buy as many as you can afford. I know quite a few people that have drawn tags and only bought 1 ticket, when I've spent 1,000's and never set foot in there on my own hunt. What about guys like us? Truth is it doesn't matter. I didn't draw and I knew my money was going to a good cause if I didn't. It's going to be a real bummer to me if the board ends up tanking this place because of this bs and their inability to make logical business decisions.
JB

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom