VC Cow Hunt Update

DUKFVR

LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-18-10 AT 06:51?PM (MST)

Me & My wife just returned from the 2 person cow hunts on the VC. All I can say is everyone was right about what a special place it was. Talk about Elk country! The Staff was Fabulous with helping us with everything. Lance & Bob even helped pack out the cow. NEVER expected that kind of help & support. The 1st morning going across the closed area the temp read out in the truck showed minus 3 at the coldest. I know my wife was thinking what have I got into. LOL! Her 1st hunt out west outside of TX. We both saw elk the 1st day ,but out of range for our shooting. 2nd day we saw no elk while out hunting. At the end of day 2 there was 4 elk killed total. The last morning I went to a meadow where I had seen a nice herd of cows opening AM. Sure enough they showed up right out shooting time [6:14] & I was way up the slope. They were moving out earlier every morning. I saw them at 7:30 the 1st morning. I have killed muleys & goats ,but never had a chance on elk while deer hunting in Col. I got in position & let one go .The range was 276 yrds. When the shot went off elk scattered everywhere. As I picked up my head to see which way she would go,I saw her just standing there. I knew the shot was true then. I put 2 more in her & she never flinched. A second later she just fell over like a board. Talk about excited. I know it was only a cow ,but it was my 1st elk. We boned & packed her out & went about trying to get 1 more for my wife. Unfortunitely we didn't get one for Lisa. That is the only part of the trip I wished I could have changed. If Lisa had got one it would have been the best time ever. The Staff there said hunting was really tough ,because the elk were herding up & it was feast or famine when you were out in the woods. There was 8 for sure & maybe 9 killed for 26 hunters. The 2nd pic showed a visitor that showed up B4 we even left the meadow. We were picking up my brass & looked over & this yote was allready hitting the carcass. Talk about a place needing a GOOD yote killing out ,we saw 13 over 3 days. I want to THANK everyone for their help on here & Especially NMPaul, THANKS again for all your time & recommendations for lodging etc. My wife loved staying at La Cueva. Sorry for the long post ,but wanted to let everyone know how much we enjoyed it.

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

Congrats!! Glad you filled one tag, good eating for sure. I already started buying tickets for next year, hoping lightning will strike twice!

Congrats DUKFVR, VC is a wonderful place. Sorry, your wife did not get a elk, but, I hope she had a good time anyway.
Your right about the coyotes there. I could not get used to driving by coyotes and they would just sit and look at you. They could raise a few bucks on a coyote calling contest there.
-3. Now thats cold!!

Paul, Lisa had a GREAT time . She was really happy with your suggestion for lodging. GREAT people there! We both know a kill doesn't make the hunt good or bad. This is only her 2nd time out west ever. She loves the country out there & seeing all the wildlife make it Great kill or no kill.

Great job David! Wished the wife would of got one also. Maybe she needs a deer or antelope hunt out west. As long as you guys had fun it was a great hunt for the two of you.

You can't kill coyotes out there or what. They will need to start or lose all the young calves and fawns to them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>You can't kill coyotes out there
>or what. They will need
>to start or lose all
>the young calves and fawns
>to them.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".

Nope ,no yote killing. You know how goverment managed land is. Everything has to have a study done on it to proceed. They are doing a study out there now to try & get the OK to open up on them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom