VENISON - To tell or Not to tell?

EROCK1313

I don't know about you guys, but my wife for some reason has a problem eating something that she has seen pictures of and seen alive. I made a stew that she said was "The Best she had ever had"...until she found out I used Venison.

Last week, I made a Goulash and mixed in a little sausage with ground venison and didn't even tell her; and again she (and her friend) loved it!

Does anyone else have this issue and what kinds of tricks have you used to get someone to eat the "Fruits of out Passions?"

Should I feel bad for tricking her?

~ERock1313

Don?t tell her, but don't give her one bad piece of meat in the beginning they will never like it.

Cook it good or don't feed them the meat. Than feed her everything in the freezer.

That's what I had to do until my wife realized what I had been doing.
Now she and my daughters will eat any deer I bring home and they actually enjoy it.

It really is how you prepare it in the field and on the table that takes the gamey taste away.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

No, I had a friends whos daugheter didn't like Lamb. There too cute she said, until she ate one and now she loves it.

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

My girlfriend was open to, but not excited about, eating venison. So I started slowly giving her the less deer tasting things like jerky and snack sticks. Then I started making her pasta with ground venison in the sauce. Then I cooked a few deer burgers with plenty of filler (breadcrumbs, egg, seasonings) and she loves them.

Also, whenever you go camping with her make her some deer/elk burgers or your venison stew. Everything tastes better when you are camping, and what other option does she have? She can't go down the road to Subway or something. She's gotta eat it!

Take REAL good care of the meat immediately after the kill and use the ground stuff first.....they never know the difference.

I had a step-daughter who just didn't do outside things; she was a Miss Nevada and liked the fancier things in life, but she ate a LOT elk and deer (eventually bear) meat, in lasagna and spaghetti before she finally accepted to the idea that it is just meat. (Yes, bear is good when taken care of properly......or I've got the only 4 good ones ever.) She's now married with 2 kids and ASKS for venison every year.

don't say a word it will just piss her off...she may already know and just lives with it!...unless you have kids then you can't control it like my son will say at the table .........
Ummmmm Bambi....!
rm

also remember properly prepared Venison is great and bad or crappy prepared venison is f@#ked..
to someone who maybe on he fence!
rm

My father-in-law has always said little comments about hunting and how we kill those cute animals. About a year ago my wife was having a boutique and had a bunch of snack stuff for everyone to eat. I had a stick of summer sausage from a buck I took the year before set out. And he sat there eating that sausage and talking about how good it was. Until my wife told him what it was. Then he started talking it down. Unbelievable was all I could say.

I have a eight year old Grandson that when it comes to eating meat, you have to tell him that it is buffalo or elk before he will want to eat it. His Father has to lie to him in order to get him to eat a beef steak by telling him it is buffalo or elk steak. I am still waiting for him to catch on about being tricked by his Dad.

RELH

My wife has no problem, nor my boys...but the church social, now thats another story. We cooked up a big'ol pot of Chilli-con-elk. Nothing but compliments, we didn't say a word to anyone!

I had a stick of mt lion pastrami left and was going to a park service potluck. I figured that I would share it with the maintence guys that hunted. Well they thought that it would be fun to tell the liberal ladies i.e. (interp) that it was elk meat they all ate it up and thought it was great! Then they told them it was cat. They were trying to throw up and were cussing me out. Boy they hated me because they new that I would do that. I really did not have many friends up there after that.

>Don?t tell her, but don't give
>her one bad piece of
>meat in the beginning they
>will never like it.
>
>Cook it good or don't feed
>them the meat. Than feed
>her everything in the freezer.
>
>
>That's what I had to do
>until my wife realized what
>I had been doing.
>Now she and my daughters will
>eat any deer I bring
>home and they actually enjoy
>it.
>
>It really is how you prepare
>it in the field and
>on the table that takes
>the gamey taste away.
>
>Archery is a year round commitment!!
>

swbuckmaster,
That's funny,that's what I kind of did to my my wife. I told here after she had almost finished the meat. She started gaging like she was going to vomit. Later I got her to admit that she loved it until she knew what it was. She tried it again several time until just recently. Now she will eat an entire steak.

I cooked wabbit once. Told my wife it was turkey, cause I knew she could never eat Bug's bunny. Well she loved my wabbit. Told her it was wabbit, she tried to throw up, carried on what a dirty wotten wascal I was. Don't tell um!

My ex-wife never gagged eating meat. It was awesome, anytime, anywhere. Then we got married.

C'mon, someone had to.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-08 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]Glad I am not alone in this. Sounds like I should keep things in "Stealth Mode" until I have her eat it a few more times before spilling the beans. Who knows though, I may have to keep this up for awhile since she is kind of picky about meat. next up......Stroganoff!

Also, very true statements about "Field Care" and quality....it sure does make a difference in the taste.

doityourself.....guess your name says it all (in response to your statement). J/k LMAO!

~Erick

my wife for some reason has a problem eating something that she has seen pictures of and seen alive.

Does she eat Chicken, Beef, Pork, Fish ect... If she does I am sure she has seen these things in pictures or has seen them alive.

I'd say keep feeding it to her and after she starts to crave the taste tell her.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-08 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]My family has zero problems with wild game. But, my kids have eaten it since they were born. It is kind of odd, although the wife enjoys my deer, elk and antelope, the birds I bring home have no appeal. She can't understand how I can kill them. Oh well, more for me! mtmuley She has shown some interest in the turkey I took that will be thawed and cooked soon. Maybe I'll be stingy.

>My ex-wife never gagged eating meat.
>It was awesome, anytime, anywhere.
>Then we got married.
>
>C'mon, someone had to.

I hear ya brother!! girlfriends do lots of things that they stop doing when they become wives... So true..

The best advice my dad gave me was

(if you get the milk for free why buy the cow)

Wish I would have listned. My x loved elk and tolerated deer!

My Father and I feed EVERYTHING to everyone and NEVER tell them what it is until after. The worse the drama afterwarsd the more we enjoy it.
487d827d48c48852.jpg

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

There is NOTHING you can do about it. Send all of your extra meat to me :)

A Peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.- Aldo Leopold.

A coworker gave me a hog .I butchered it and then made a bunch of brat patties (50/50).I was cooking them on the grill and wife says friends are coming over and to put a bunch more on.Everybody liked them,no need to tell what the other 50% of the meat was.My kids friends always eat wild game at our house when they are over and we eat.Never heard any complaints.My wife will eat a few items of deer meat but not to much of it.Kids love it.My brother-in-law tricked my wife into eating squirrel and she liked it until he told her what it was now I have to live with the damage he caused, so be careful.Who cares what it is other than great tasting, tender natural meat.If nobody asks don't tell.Your not tricking them your just feeding them.With that said I hope my wife doesn't notice that all the bags of deer meat are missing from the freezer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom