Verify the Species: Elk or Moose

S

Sperca

SHED EXPERTS:

I just viewed a shed on eBay billed as a Moose shed, but there is very little palmation. My first reaction was that it was an Elk shed, only stunted and shorter. What do you think?

Here are the two photos (if I can get them to appear):

50_1.JPG

e5_1.JPG

And the link to eBay (in case they don't):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3630382887&category=383

***Sperca

Looks like a moose to me too... really smooth, flared bur, shape etc. I've seen quite a few sheds like that, I belive its probably off of a 2.5 year old bull.

Well you guys are all quicker than me, at least quicker than my first reaction.

I came to the same conclusion, mostly because of the thickness of the burr, the vein-like indentations that grow under the velvet, and (without palmation) the standard 'open handed' 5-points that pattern many Moose sheds.

I told the eBayer he would get some traffic. Maybe this will help him.

***Sperca

Definately a moose. I found one very similar to that a few years ago. Here's a pic. It was really green so I ended up staining it so that's what's up with the color. I found it in one of my moose shed honey holes. There are no elk anywhere near where I found it.
fade5f38.jpg

ALL:

Can't help but listen when "Mooseman" states whether it is Moose shed or not! LOL! Mooseman has the final word.

The eBay shed sold for $32 + $20 shipping.

Thanks pros.

***Sperca

That, my friend is a moose shed. Most likely from a young shiras moose. I picked up a moose shed this summer that looks very similar to that one, just not as twisted. Mine has 4 fairly long tines, is 32 inches long, but also has very little palmation.

No way dudes, it is a big a$$ whitetail! Huaahaauahaaaaahh.... Moose without a doubt, Pretty cool though.
Eric
hat_3.gif
aktion060.gif

Bird-01.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom