Vernon

Muledeer1234

Do some of the Vernon deer still migrate? They use to by the thousands 15 years ago until a disease killed most of the does that migrated. I just moved back to Utah and wondered if more started to migrate or if there is still very few that do?

>Do some of the Vernon deer
>still migrate? They use to
>by the thousands 15 years
>ago until a disease killed
>most of the does that
>migrated. I just moved back
>to Utah and wondered if
>more started to migrate or
>if there is still very
>few that do?

I wonder who started this rumor / fairy tale?

Rumor about what? About Vernon deer migrating through the west desert? Or that a disease killed most of them off? Because a lot of them did migrate and there was really a disease that killed a lot of them along with poachers.

>Rumor about what? About Vernon deer
>migrating through the west desert?
>Or that a disease killed
>most of them off? Because
>a lot of them did
>migrate and there was really
>a disease that killed a
>lot of them along with
>poachers.

Show me the data that proves this as fact and exactly what year this all happened with the desease and mass poaching.

My data isn't probably good enough for ya but here goes
Mid 1980?s blue tongue went through here like gang busters. (Which was one of the reasons the unit was closed to help it recover) Lots of dead and dying does. In the late 70?s the u of u and BYU did a joint study on the migration patterns of our deer and did find some went clear out to the House Range each winter. Not sure if the blue tongue die of effected them but I think it's more of a case of mild winters letting them stay closer to home.
But I've only lived, ranched, hunted and guided out here since 68? so what would I know

Desert,
Not as much as the inter web hero?s Lol!!! Solid facts as usual my friend!!!

The Vernon unit is a shell of what it use to be and could be. Just like the rest of the state! But they did up tags again this year so that's good. It's keeps the opportunity community happy and that's what counts....right!

>My data isn't probably good enough
>for ya but here goes
>
>Mid 1980?s blue tongue went through
>here like gang busters. (Which
>was one of the reasons
>the unit was closed to
>help it recover) Lots of
>dead and dying does. In
>the late 70?s the u
>of u and BYU did
>a joint study on the
>migration patterns of our deer
>and did find some went
>clear out to the House
>Range each winter. Not sure
>if the blue tongue die
>of effected them but I
>think it's more of a
>case of mild winters letting
>them stay closer to home.
>
>But I've only lived, ranched, hunted
>and guided out here since
>68? so what would I
>know

that I believe. I saw a big die off in the tin tic area somewhere in the early 90s.

The O/P said 15 years ago (which puts the die off around 2004),
Maybe he meant 35 years ago.
I hunted the Vernon in 2002 and then scouted it a lot again in 2009. I didn't see much of a difference in the deer population between those years and the deer were migrating just fine.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-19 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]A wealth of knowledge as usual Desert! The old guy finally tagged out on the ML hunt. Nice seeing you...

edit...i don't mean "old guy" as disrespectful. You know who I mean. LOL

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

I remember when I had muzzleloader tags, probably in the ninetys,they were when it was still in November.I watched deer heading off the Simpson's going to Keg Mountain. I got the vochers from a landowner friend after he didn't get around to using them on the rifle hunt for cost.Try that now!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom