VERY important information....2008 Turkey Season...PLEASE read!!!

huntswnm

Everyone, I don't know why this information was not publicised by the NM G & F!
I guess it goes to show we need to read the proclomations word for word EVERY year, not assuming nothing has been changed.
Maybe others know about this, but it is the first time it has been brought to my attention!

NM has apparantly designated one weekend, after the close of the regular season, as a YOUTH ONLY hunt that can take place in any open unit.

Look for yourself, right off of page 46 (PDF version) of the proclomation: Take note of the first astrik at the bottom

Open Areas For OTC License Hunts
Spring Season-April 15-May 10*
Units 4 (except Sargent, Humphries, and Rio Chama wildlife areas),
5, 6, 6B**, 7, 9 (including Water Canyon WMA but not Marquez
WMA), 10, 12-14 (bows only in Sandia Ranger District), 15-18, 20
(except Do?a Ana County), 21 (except Do?a Ana County), 22-24,
29, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40-49, 51-54 (including Colin Neblett/south), 55
(including Colin Neblett/north and Barker but not Urraca WMA or
Valle Vidal/Greenwood areas), 56, 57 (bow only in Sugarite Canyon
State Park), and 58.
*A Youth Only hunt is May 17-18 in any of the above open areas.
**Valles Caldera National Preserve-Contact the VCNP directly for
more information about this hunt. Bag limit is one bearded turkey

We need to spread this around. I have been a big advocate of NM adopting a Youth Only turkey "weekend" hunt for a couple of years and apparantly they decided to implement one this year, with minimal exposure?

Please pass this along, hopefully there will be some kids out there that can take advantage of this opportunity.
We as adults also should jump on the opportunity to take a kid out hunting, especially during a time that is reserved for them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jeff

This is great news. Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to take my daughter?

Due to work obligations this year, I have been unable to get out to do any scouting etc..

Thanks in advance.

JD

I am in Peralta NM ( 20 miles south of Alb), and am willing to go just about anywhere to get my 10 year old her first "anything".

Thanks in advance,

JD

Well, I am not real familiar with the forest up in that part of the state. I know that down here in the Gila it has been super tough this year, birds not talking hardly at all. I am thinking this extra weekend for the youth might be real good cause it is so late in the season. You could try to make contact with someone from one of the local NWTF chapters in either ALB or Rio Rancho and see if they have ideas of where to go up there. There is also chapters in Santa Fe and Los Alamos as well that might help out. Closest place to you that I could recomend might be around Datil? Haven't hunted there for turkeys so couldn't give you directions, but know that there are some there.

Hope it helps a little

Jeff

try Rowe Mesa, Pecos wilderness or Jemez are your best choice and it is an hr from abq if u decide to go...

few buddies of my got few good ones at Pecos and Rowe...

Try that area if u want...

vinihunt

Vini and Hunts,

Thank you very much for the info. I will contact those orgs that you all mentioned and see if anyone has a bit more information. It has been such a busy year at work, and after an ACL repair for myself about a month ago, it has been tough getting in some scouting.

We hunted the Gila last fall and were in a lot of elk, and saw a bit of sign for turkey but nothing heavy.

Thanks again, hopefully we can end this thread with some pics of her turkey.

JD

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom