Very Sad....and preventable

It is, simply awful!
I knew a girl in MN who was shot by a friend. She was doing a project for school and wanted someone to point a gun at the camera to get a picture of looking down the barrel. Well she got the "shot" alright, and the senators son went to prison for a couple years :-(

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-13 AT 08:46AM (MST)[p]I read that same article to my boy this morning. I also reminded him that guns aren't toys and that any of his guns which can fire a projectile better be handled in a safe manner.

It is a shame that anyone lost their life to a dumb azz. My kid knows that we consider every gun we see to be loaded and act accordingly.

Sad, sad story!

Rule #1
Never point a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot.

I can tell you that accidents can and do happen but IF the gun is pointed in the right direction everyone lives!

My son was 14 (now 36) and unloading his rifle when he touched the trigger as he chambered a round. Gun was pointed into the ground, away from me and the truck. Embarrassed, yes. Dead or injured, no!

Zeke

Tragic. When I was a kid, I was rabbit hunting with my Dad. I was using an over and under shotgun/22 and was messing with the hammer....cocking it and then letting the hammer down slowly as we were making our way back to the truck. One time, the hammer slipped out from underneath my thumb and it hit the primer. Shotgun went off. Scared the sh!t out of me and was just thankful my Dad was to my right and not my left. It may have blown his legs off.
This was my sons first year hunting with me. I never let him carry the rifle except for when it was time to shoot. I figure with as much teaching we do, mistakes can happen. My Dad taught me correctly but I thought I was in control...I was wrong.

Too many tags= unhappy wife

Yes, you may have been wrong, however, it sounds as though you had proper muzzle control...not being aimed at your Dad when the gun went off. Mistakes do happen for sure, but just like with your case, a "possible" tragic situation was avoided because you had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all".
Theodore Roosevelt

Sad story, Horrible that the young gal lost her life. If the shooter was asking for people to lie and say the gun fell off the table, I would wonder what an 20 year old idiot was doing with a hand gun anyway?, And why was he trying to get a 16 year old girl to hold it and then point it at her when she refused. I'm sorry but this IS NOT an accident, in the same class as the hunting accidents listed in the other posts or any hunting accident we all hear about. not even the same as a curious kid playing with a gun. This was a case of pure stupidity! This will be ammo for the anti gun nuts to use as an example of an accident. And it will be lumped into the same accident "pie" with other Stupid acts and then told by the news outlet as "another senseless accident". When in reality it was stupidity and not an accident. What ever the shooters punishment will be it will not be harsh enough. His punishment will be for being involved in an "Accident".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom