VIDEO 2 bucks opening day!

M

muleymaster

My buddy and i had a great opening day this year harvesting 2 good bucks. My buddy had practiced a lot with a custom rifle he built and decided to try his luck on a buck in a tough spot. 871yd shot with 2 camera angles.

Hope you enjoy the video!

Ryan Rightmeier and i were entered into a contest. Help us out by clicking the link,watching our video, and sharing the link. We put a lot of work into this season as well as the video. I hope you enjoy it. We learned a lot of lessons this year.

http://www.#####.com/our-obsessions/double-down-in-idaho-nick-rendo

Non-existent domain on the link you posted. Try it again so we can watch it. I would like to see it.

ok. i see this is not working so after the www. insert this (#####.com/our-obsessions/double-down-in-idaho-nick-rendo)

what the!!!!
##### . com/our-obsessions/double-down-in-idaho-nick-rendo

trying by inserting a space between the .com

Great bucks. But I think your buddy needs to practice his 871yd shots........

You say you learned a lot of lessons this season......
I hope one of them was not to take 871 yard shots and shooting a buck in the leg.
One lesson you might try is actually hunting instead of long range shooting.
There is no hunting skill in 871 yard shots, and from a ethical hunting standpoint you failed miserably.
PB

I liked the video you put together. You obviously put in some time to get these bucks on opening day. Congrats on your successes. Haters are always gonna hate no matter what!

To say that haters are going to hate no matter what is an intellectually dishonest statement to make in this case. I doubt anyone would be hating on the video if it was a 300 yard 1 shot clean kill. The shooter needed 3 shots at a very long distance and a very steep angle first wounding, then missing, and finally putting the animal down.

I will say this ? taking shots like that on live animals shows 2 things:

1. A lack of respect for the animal .
2. Bad sportsmanship/judgment.

Do everyone a favor and keep the long range shooting on paper, the animals deserve better than that.

"Intellectually dishonest" is what you call that statement? Really?
I have seen more than one person make worse kills then this at way closer distances. It happens and if you've been around hunting long enough you know that. Sometimes KILLING doesn't go as planned. There's always going to be someone that thinks something is wrong with stuff posted on websites or videos like this. For whatever reason they HATE the way someone else does or did certain things. They would be "HATERS". Like it or not idgator you fall into this category. I don't think stating your opinion is a bad thing, I like the fact we all can here on MM, but it does make you a hater.

I don't "hate" this young man. I don't "hate" what he did. I just disagree with what he did, like Idagator I spect. Some a you folks need a little more sun, toughin up that skin a bit! Like Aron Rodgers said, "5 letters R-E-L-A-X"

Yes ? that is what I call that statement.

If thinking that the animals I hunt deserve the highest respect and I as a hunter have an obligation to make as quick and clean a kill as possible then Yes I must be a hater. Apparently, you don't agree with the above statement judging by your comments.

In fact, I have also seen people make worse shots at closer distances and as you said that kind of thing does happen (that is part of hunting). However, why introduce variables that lend themselves to reducing the odds of making a clean kill (e.g. long range, steep angles, shooting in high wind, etc.)? At what point does hunter ethics come into play or are you part of the crowd that thinks as long as I get my animal who cares how I do it?

We as hunters have an obligation to police our own and with the latest rage of long range shooting this kind of thing is becoming more prevalent and in my opinion taking the sport out of hunting. Like I said before, if you want to punch paper at 870 yards that's great, but doing that on a living animal shows a lack of sportsmanship and is not what hunting is about (in my opinion).

Both of the guys in the video are pretty young, my hope is that with some experience and wisdom they will learn that making a ridiculously long shot on an animal isn't what is impressive ? make the climb up that mountain get within 200 yards and make the shot and I would totally tip my hat to you.

Hay Zeus you don' t have a clue!
A Hater I am not!
You justify your position with "I have seen more than one person make worse kills", so with that twisted logic you would suggest " If joe blow does something unethical or just wrong I guess it' s OK for you to endorse the same?"
KILLING is a byproduct of hunting. Hunting is NOT taking 871 yard pot shots.
PB

For me it is not about the dmaned distance. Many guys can flat out shoot! It is about the deer cannot sense you exist. Even if you have a boombox on your shoulder with Janet Jackson blaring full blast in your ear and are almost 1000 yards away, they don't percieve you as a threat. Sorry, but I think all you long rangers could be great guys, but I personally don't have any respect for your kills so keep feeling good about yourself!

Saying that, it would be impressive to shoot with you at the range.

Well NiceRack When somebody does "something unethical or just wrong" and you perceive it that way, it's just your opinion. I'm not justifying or suggesting anything. I don't give two sh#*s what you or anyone else like or dislike about hunting. They were LEGALLY hunting and were successful the way they chose to do it. If you don't like it then spew your HATRED for it. Like I said i'm glad we all can state our OPINIONS here on MM. I don't hunt long-range but I sure will support anyone that wants to hunt that way because its their choice, just like its yours not to do it.
Hunting is KILLING by any means that is legal. Like it or not!!!

How many shots does the average hunter miss per year at ranges that are considered ethical? I know bowhunters that miss 5-6 shots routinely every year. Many rifle guys miss a few each year also. So I think some of the critisim on this thread is hypocrytical. As far as the shooting vs hunting idea, that is purely opinion and everyone is entitled to one of those. People constantly interjecting their opinon when it is not asked for probably keeps many people from posting their stories up for our enjoyment. Probably would be good form to reserve your opinion for a thread where it is asked for. It is my opinion that those who share a story are sharing an experience in good faith. Taking shots or making unwanted comments that detract from the good experience of the poster are unfortunate. It would be kind of like someone walking up to you in a nice restaraunt and commenting on how ugly your wife is. Why do we constantly insist on pissing on others' good time? So why don't some of you take the advice provided to "thicken your skin" and not feel that you have to make douchebag comments about everything you disagree with. Someday there will only be douchebag comments because no one will post hunting stories anymore.-------SS

I take the whole long range stuff personal because I love deer, love to deer hunt and love seeing illusive bucks that know how to outsmart people who hunt them. Now it seems that a lot of the deer who could be illusive are getting mowed down by the whole long range crew. Don't believe me? Come hunt Utah general season.

I feel it is detrimental to our big bucks. This is the whole reason people get into it because it gives them such an unfair edge over the animals they would like to kill. Long range shooting at trophy bucks needs to be stopped. If your effective range is extended from 400 yards to over 1000, how can any deer being actively pursued expect to not get killed. It is out of control and is definitely unfair and unsporting.

So go ahead and continue thinking your an awesome hunter because you killed him at 800 yards from the next drainage. Bottom line yes you are a great shot with all your optics, calculations and physics. But it is not sporting and not hunting. I place it next to the redneck with the old steel beat up truck that runs deer over and tags them.

This was a good video and those are some awesome deer but I do hope this madness gets banned.

>I do hope this
>madness gets banned.

YA! and lets hire a whole crew of wardens equipped with great optics and fancy range finders to go try and enforce this fancy new ban that you're proposing....BRILLIANT! Or we could just have some respect for each other and share our own versions of ethics using meaningful communications ultimately leaving the decision to the individual. I always like to remind myself that if all hunters who didn't do it the way I do weren't hunters, I would likely not have have the privilege of hunting. Helps me to appreciate other sportsmen and avoid being a self righteous, judgemental ignoramus.--------SS

If the hi-tech optics are banned you wouldn't need a "whole crop of new wardens". In co during muzzleloader it's no scopes, no sabbots, no pellet powders. In most archery seasons it's no crossbows. Why do they put these restrictions on? (rhetorical) Wanna continue to see fewer mature animals? Just let this ball keep rollin.

Springvilleshooter,
I take it since no one asked for your opinion then you would classify you own post as a douche bag comment? And, apparently, you need to thicken your skin as well ? no?

Everyone understands that stuff happens when hunting and people for various reasons miss shots. This is not moral equivalence.

1. The point is why purposely introduce variables that by their very nature make you more likely to make a bad shot.

2. To the hunting vs shooting question, it's not a matter of opinion it is common sense and fact ? taking an 800 yard shot removes many of the animals natural defenses from the equation and makes them far more susceptible to the hunter. The animal never has a fair chance.

When you post something in a public forum that shows questionable judgment and ethics then you need to be prepared for criticism. As a matter of fact, I would say it is an obligation when you see someone engaged in questionable actions you bring it to their attention. Otherwise, the moral and ethical bar keeps getting lowered at the expense of the animals we hunt.

I can hear the conversation they had from the road they were shooting from. I ain't gona even get 40 yds from dis hear wheeler less theres some dead der up thur. Nice deer beautiful country.

>I can hear the conversation they
>had from the road they
>were shooting from. I ain't
>gona even get 40 yds
>from dis hear wheeler less
>theres some dead der up
>thur. Nice deer beautiful country.
>

Haha!

Best post I've read this week.

>Springvilleshooter,
>I take it since no one
>asked for your opinion then
>you would classify you own
>post as a douche bag
>comment? And, apparently, you
>need to thicken your skin
>as well ? no?
>
>Everyone understands that stuff happens when
>hunting and people for various
>reasons miss shots. This
>is not moral equivalence.
>
>1. The point is why purposely
>introduce variables that by their
>very nature make you more
>likely to make a bad
>shot.
>
>2. To the hunting vs shooting
>question, it's not a matter
>of opinion it is common
>sense and fact ? taking
>an 800 yard shot removes
>many of the animals natural
>defenses from the equation and
>makes them far more susceptible
>to the hunter. The
>animal never has a fair
>chance.
>
>When you post something in a
>public forum that shows questionable
>judgment and ethics then you
>need to be prepared for
>criticism. As a
>matter of fact, I would
>say it is an obligation
>when you see someone engaged
>in questionable actions you bring
>it to their attention.
>Otherwise, the moral and ethical
>bar keeps getting lowered at
>the expense of the animals
>we hunt.

If long range takes away all the animal's natural defenses then why aren't B&C animals hitting the ground all over the place with the influx of new long range hunters?

Anyone who knows a thing or two knows that long range offers very limited and specific opportunity. You should be happy if many folks limit themselves by counting on long range as they won't kill nearly as many animals as a well rounded sportsman that can do it all.

I understand the concerns and get the opinions but think that making the suggestion that one particular method is ruining hunting is absurd.

I personally think that spotting optics, scent killers, trail cameras, vehicles, range finders, and MANY other factors have far more impact on the sport than long range shooting. How do you feel about hunters who use these advantages?
Do All of these things serve to "lower the bar" as well by your logic?-------SS

Springvilleshooter,

It's not if long range takes away the animals natural defense ? it does!

1. Is an animal more likely to smell you from 100 yards or 800 yards?
2. Is an animal more likely to hear you from 100 yards or 800 yards?
3. Is an animal more likely to see and perceive you as a threat from 100 yards or 800?

Are you kidding me? If I were so inclined I could take shots at animals all day long if I said distance doesn't matter to me. It's far easier, for me, to line up 800 yard shot than to actually hunt and close the distance and anyone who knows a thing or two knows that.

As you said, the long range shooters may not kill as many animals, but they are far more likely to wound animals. Again, this isn't about the end justifying the means, this is about what is right for the animals that we hunt.

There is a great article in this months Bugle Magazine on page 9 (Presidents Message) titled Why Shoot Long When You Can Hunt Close. I suggest people read it.

Additionally, from the Boone and Crockett Club ?

Long-Range Shooting: Defining a New Ethic in Hunting
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
The ethical issue isn't the 350-yard shot. The real concern, as Boone and Crockett Club sees it, is hunters not trying to get a closer one.

Long-range shooting is a hot topic in hunting. Improved and specialized guns, gear, bullets and sniper skills are growing in popularity, stretching the lethal range of hunters further than ever before. But many hunters wonder how it all fits with traditional, ethical standards. How far is too far to be considered fair chase?

Boone and Crockett adopted a new position statement to help define the ethics of taking game from long range.

"It's not about distance; it's about intent," said Bill Demmer, Club president.

He explained, "Hunters have varying degrees of marksmanship skills and capabilities. Some are steady only out to 100 yards. Others are very efficient at much longer distances. All kinds of field conditions also factor into what is or isn't an ethical shot. So, within reasonable sideboards, it's impossible to use distance as a measurement of fair chase."

But the Club firmly takes issue with hunters who choose shooting long rather than trying to get close. Intent is what separates hunting from merely shooting a live target.

"The honor and lasting memories in hunting have always been in our ability to get close to game animals. And every hunter has better odds of a quick, clean kill at closer distances. That's one of our most imperative responsibilities as a hunter, and that's the legacy of sportsmanship that we believe is important to uphold," said Demmer.

Maintaining the integrity and public support of hunting is vital. The tradition, along with its indelible ties to conservation, is a key to sustaining wildlife for the future.

C.J. Buck, president of Buck Knives and a Boone and Crockett member, said, "Hunting is personal and the reasons why people hunt are personal. For many, making a kill is merely incidental to their time afield. This elevates hunting to mean something more than just filling a tag, and that's one of the things that make it special. Sure, we have laws for safety and to conserve the resource, but at the end of the day our satisfaction has more to do with our own intentions. I think that is why so many sportsmen are disturbed by those who make the shot or the kill more important than the hunt itself."

Boone and Crockett has been a standard-bearer for hunting ethics since 1902, when Club founder Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a captive black bear during a hosted hunt in Mississippi. The incident, widely covered in the press, popularized the concept of fair chase on this continent, elevated public appreciation for sportsmanship and even inspired introduction of a new toy, the Teddy bear.

Demmer concluded, "Some people don't like us talking about ethics, claiming it divides hunters when hunters should be united. Rallying around hunting ethics is how sportsmen did away with the anything-goes culture that nearly eliminated big game in the early days of the conservation movement. I believe doing right by the game and the traditions of hunting still unites hunters."

I don't have any illusions that what I say or what I post will change your mind, but in the off chance it gives you and others like you something to think about I put this out there.

If you could, please define "long-range hunting"? And what exactly is "close hunting"? All I hear from people that are opposed to how someone else does something are opinions that simply amount to - if you don't do it my way or how I believe you are wrong! Just because some organizations or the individuals running them publicly state their opinions it still doesn't make it right one way or the other. Just another opinion on a topic of interest.

HayZeus,
I don't think there is an easy or steadfast definition for long range ?hunting? it really depends on the individual and the situation. Some people are not capable, through their own limitation or the limitation of their equipment, to shoot over 100 yards. Others have the capability to shoot much farther than that based on their skill as a marksman and their equipment. The question is ? what is the right thing to do for the animal. This is what gets lost with people that are so enamored with shooting live animals at ?long range? they don't care about the animal?s wellbeing, they don't care that with extended distances they are introducing more margin for error on a variety of fronts; they don't care about the spirit of sportsmanship that is the foundation of hunting. All they care about is being able to post a video or tell their buddies I shot my animal at 870 yards.

So what is long range ? it's when killing the animals over takes the morals and ethics of fair chase. What is long range ? it's when the environmental factors can influence the probability of a quick clean kill. What is long range ? it's when a hunter is too lazy to try and get closer. I can tell you without any hesitation that 870 yards under the most ideal conditions is long range.

Now let me ask you ? are you ok with people shooting 870 yards? What about 1500 yards? What about 2000 yards? As a matter of fact, why should we set any limitations on anything? Maybe we should just open everything up ? you want to drive your 4 wheeler off road ? go for it. Why not allow extended clips in rifles (10 ? 15 ? 20 rounds)? Why have set shooting hours? I mean at some point it's all just a matter of opinion isn't it?

BTW ? This isn't meant to be personal towards you. I see you often reply to folks looking for help with hunting spots, which I greatly admire. You and I apparently don't agree on this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom