Video Camera

L

lionhound

Hey guys
I am getting into filming but the regular video cameras suck at long distances. Can you guys tell me a good camera for long range so i can pick up horns. Thanks

I can't tell you the best one but here are some things I learned when I went shopping for mine.
1- 20x zoom or larger
2- 3 ccd (if you can afford it)
3- Adjustable F-stop and shutter speed
4- Shade cover
5- Small as possible (size and weight)
6- Is there a double made for it?
7- Manual and auto focus
It all depends on what you want to spend. I bought mine at Ultimate electronics. they let you play with every camera before you buy and have a 30 day money back guarente. I wanted to see what the futage looked like after filming and a another place had some tapes they let me look at and that was pretty cool to. Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

hey bucksnducks
thanks so much. i found a sonyDCR-TRV 340 and a Canon ZR-50. Sony has a 25 x optical and Canon has 22X. if you know anything about these please tell me. Thanks for all advice.

I use the Canon XL1s. Expensive camera, but I went with it because of the ability to interchange lenses, which involves more money. But, it's amazing what you can film at great distances. A tripod is a must, and you obviously can't be touching the camera or have a strong wind when filming something at long distances.

Hey lionhound, i am using the sony DCR-TRV 340. its a nice camara for the money. you cant beat the 25x opitcs. it also has so many options that are really nice. i have had this camara since september and it has been great! i do not like the fact that it is digital 8, i would have preferd it to be mini dv. but oh well, there is no difference between the quality of video just the convience of a smaller tape faster rewind fast forward and stuff like that. just one more pay check and i will have this years GL-2 i can hardly wait.
later ANTLERQUEST.

yogo7788, what are you using the camera for? At that price range I would not think it is for fun.

Sorry lionhound, I forgot to reply to you.

I don't know much about either one of those cameras but I can help you pick the right one.

Are they digital?
Does either one have a thing called a CCD?
If it does, how many? the more the better
How many pixels is each CCD? again the more the better

A CCD was explained to me like a roof top of a house gathering light from the sun. If there are 3 each one takes the job of gathering a certain color (red, green, blue) The more pixels it has the larger the gathering surface is henace the higher quality.

I use the Cannon GL1 it has 3 CCD and each one has 250,000 pixels. It costs around $2000. The XL1 that yogo7788 was talking about costs around $4500 with out the high power lens and I think it has 500,000 pixels per CCD. Both these camera are in the perfesional catagory. They do have what they call Broadcast quality. So get the most pixels with the highest power zoom and the camera will probaly come with every thing else you need. Good luck and try some web sites that have rated or compared those to cameras to each other. One thing I just remeberd on the sony versus the cannon high end models is one test performed was to determine how well the cameras processor could determine what it was looking at. They filmed tapered black lines and then posted a picture of each cameras ability to follow the taper to the end with out pixelization. The sony did a better job at that. Good luck and hope to share film with you some day.

Regarding the statement:

================================================================

i do not like the fact that it is digital 8, i would have preferd it to be mini dv. but oh well, there is no difference between the quality of video just the convience of a smaller tape faster rewind fast forward and stuff like that.

==============================================================

There is a huge difference in the lens of a digital 8 camcorder and the lens on a miniDV camcorder. That's one of the reasons they cost more.

In general you will find that 8mm and Hi-8 (D-8 cameras are just hi-8 lens blocks with digital recording) have longer zooms, often much longer, than DV or prosumer lenses. This is because the lower resolution of 8 and the current Hi-8 will tolerate much lower lens quality. It is much like the difference between DV zooms - with good ones around 12-1--while the much higher quality lens used in 35 mm rarely go as high as 3 to 1. To my knowledge, the only way to get a long zoom in high quality video is the Canon GL-1 which has a 20x zoom and a 2k price.

~spectr17

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom