Vortex Kaibab?

I posted this on another hunting site:

I was very surprised at the Vortex 15x56 Kaibabs and how sharp they were. Until we looked at the resolution chart, one could hardly tell a difference between the three binos by looking a clusters of pine needles on a distant tree about 100 yards away. While jumping from one bino to the other, once I would prefer the Leica 10+15x50 Duovids and the next time the Swaro 15x56. Another viewer preferred the Swaro, and a third preferred the Leicas. The main difference was the bluish cast of the Swaro which some may prefer and others wanting a more neutral tone offered by the Leicas and Vortex. The Vortex had equal contrast and brightness withe the Swaros and Leicas. As Dennis noted with the resolution chart, the Swaro was about 1/2 block better than the Leicas, and the Vortex was about one full block behind the Leica. looking at the edge of a skylined tree trunk, all had the same amount of a greenish color fringe to my eyes. The Kaibabs also held sharpness to the edge the same amount as the Swaros and Leicas. The Kaibab's lens tubes could be folded closer together than the Swaros or Leicas (a consideration for those with closely set eyes), but the eyecups themselve were larger in diameter that those of the Swaros and Leicas. For $1200, the Kaibabs are a best buy for 15x binos, imo.

Foreman,

I love the Kaibabs and have a pair. I use them off of a ridgeview tripod and am excited to use them on the hunts this fall. They came with a great tripod quick detach mount that I really like as well.

I'll keep you posted on how they do this fall. I've had several people look through them and all are super impressed.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

+1 cowslayer! I have a similar setup and they are amazingly clear. We actually put them up against the Swaro's 15x and they were every bit as clear on the optic chart that the store had posted on the oposite side of the building. Granted, it was indoors but the preformance was every bit as good. That was a great thing for me to see and for $800 less.....that's a no brainer for me.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I just received a pair of Kaibab's from Doug's in the mail today, as I thought I would give them a try guiding antelope hunters this weekend in New Mexico.

I have not had time to make an honest assesment yet, but I did compare them to my Swarovski 10X42 EL's out back this evening, and the clarity and resolution was very very close.

They will be put to the test this weekend, and I will let everyone know how they workout...

Stryker

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-09 AT 09:36PM (MST)[p]Used mine scouting last weekend and they're great when combined with a good tripod. The controls aren't quite as refined as the Swarovski 15x56's, but they're very, very close optically!

I was able to get my hands on a set for a few days and I am impressed with them. Given the economy, their timing could not be better.

These are very nice glasses and when you consider the price, it is hard to justify paying so much more for the Swaros and Leicas in the same power although the big boys are offering some nice deals right now.

Other positives-the top notch warranty/customer service of Vortex and they work well with The Outdoorsmans bino adaptor system.

In my comparison to two other 15s (Swaro and Zeiss) I thought the power was a little low meaning they didn't seem like a true 15. The optical performance is very good but not at the same level as the Leica, Swaro, and Zeiss in my opinion.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wade,

Are there any comparables to the Kaibab's? Would the Kaibab's
be the clear cut second choice to the Swaro's and Leicas?

How would the Minox 15X and Conquest 15X compare to the Kaibabs?

I apoligize, my last question was somewhat redundant. most of the question was answered in a previous thread (that I went back and re-read).

It would still be interesting to hear comments about 15X bino's
(ratings and experience). Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 01:42PM (MST)[p]The Conquest has a 45mm objective, so light gathering ability is limited and would put them out of consideration for me. I love Swarovski glass, but their 15x's don't go close enough together to fit my face, especially with the tethered lens caps in place, as they hit long before they get to a useable distance.

I don't have any hands on experience with the Minox 15x58's, but the complaints I've heard/read is they're big and bulky, and the eye-cups are uncomfortable for extended use. Several guys have said they prefer the Minox 13x56 to their 15x becaue they're "sharper", but again, no hands on experience.

So far I love the Kaibab's, but I've only had them for a short time. I plan to make a couple more scouting trips and will give them a thorough workout during the Utah ML hunt and my daughter's West Desert/Vernon deer hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom