Vortex Razor owners

Fire_Hawk

So after trying to use my amazing Razor 10x42 for the past few years, I am giving up. I CANNOT HOLD a 10x42 steady for the life of me.

I want to use them. They are clear and excellent. On a tripod they are terrific, but I can't hold them steady without something to lean on. I find myself going back to my little 8x32 Minox BD because I can hold them steady.

So....here is my question. Do any of you have a 8x42 that you want to trade for a 10x42? I would like to stay with a Vortex Razor or similar level glass.

If not, anyone know what kind of money I should sell these binos for? Seems that it has been a while since anyone has had them or sold them. Most recent I have seen were in the $450 range give or take a few bucks. Seems reasonable to me, but need some advice. What do you all think?

Thanks!

FH

I had the Zen Ray 10x43 ED and the glass was awesome, the mechanical build shi* I had to send them back twice. I ended up with the Minox 8.5x43 HG ASPH I can hand hold them much much better but I use some shooting sticks to stabilize them also. The shooting sticks stabilize them just as good as a tripod. The only time I'll hump a tripod is if I will use the spotting scope or will be buying some big eyes. Who knows maybe the big eyes could be stabilized with the shooting sticks as well. For me 8x in high quality glass is the way to go. Love the Minox hate the Chinese wonders.

Thanks for the reply m_freeman! I had considered the Zen Rays due to hearing so much good about them. I appreciate your feedback, because I definitely don't want to give up quality.

I have had terrific luck with the Minox binos I have owned. One was my first "good" bino in a 10x42 BD before they started using the Aspherical lenses. They were very good, but I was having "focus" issues. Knowing what I know today, I believe it was just me struggling to hold a 10x steady enough to utilize all the magnification.

Now, I am mature enough to admit that I can't hold a 10x steady enough. I will definitely go to an 8x bino now. Assuming I can sell the Razors for the proper amount.

Anyway, my Minox BD8x32BR ASPH have been TERRIFIC!!!. Easy to use and very good glass.

I like the idea of a 8x42 or similar for the larger FOV and greater light gathering capability.

FH

can't go wrong with German optics, these Chinese wonders have slick marketing machines, but I bet you can find hundreds of guys like me that dump the Chinese wonders for German or the better Jap optics. I'll never buy Chinese again it was such a hassle, buy once cry once. About the 7x and 8x if you have the good glass you can see a lot, my 10x Zen Rays seemed to fade at longer distances and as soon as the sun faded just a little compared to the glass in the Minox it stays sharp out to infinity even when getting a litle darker unlike the Zen Ray. Shooting sticks help a lot.

Have sticks, and they are helpful, but I must not be doing it right. I struggle to "get them in there" the right way I suppose. Probably just need more practice. One thing for sure though, I sure don't do well with them free hand. Do better when I sit down and use my knees and my ball cap visor too.

Thanks!

FH

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-11 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]everyone is different but this is how I do it, I seperate the sticks legs a few inches and while sitting on small ultralite 3 legged stool I put one or two legs of the shooting sticks on the top of my boot and I use my boot as a lever to raise or lower the bino elevation as needed. Sometimes I will lap one foot over the top of the other for elevation gain and stability, it all depends on terrain situation. For the 8x and 10x it really doesn't matter much how the sticks contact the bino barrels so long as I can push down for stability, *it's not a matter of just placing the binos on top and letting them rest with their own weight. It is a matter of using the sticks to place a pressure bind so there can be no movement.* I can sit there for hours gently pushing down on the binos and gently lifting up with my boot. I find tripods unnecessary for 8x and 10x with this method.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom