Vote for streamside access in New Mexico

BeDawg

Right now is the time to vote for streamside access in NM. I got this e-mail from the Utah Stream Access Coalition.

Please respond. This is what I was sent and I believe if you are in favor of public resources actually being public, this would interest you!

On Friday, in the final minutes before the New Mexico legislative session adjourned, in an all-too-familiar fashion, stream access there was stripped from the public and handed over to private interests. Just like that, our concerns that another state could follow Utah's lead on stream access went from possibility to reality. We are all in this together, and that's why it's important for you, as USAC members, to step up and take action.

The bill in New Mexico, SB 226, restricts access to rivers and streams that cross over private property, like HB 141 in Utah. It passed the House on a 32-31 vote, and is now sitting on New Mexico Governor Susana Martinez's desk. She is expected to sign the bill into law by the end of the week. This is where we can help. Educate Governor Martinez on why she must VETO SB 226.

CALL THE GOVERNOR RIGHT NOW AND TELL HER TO VETO SB 226. THEY ARE TALLYING VOTES IN THE OFFICE, AND YOUR 30-SECONDS MATTERS!

505-476-2200

EMAIL: http://www.governor.state.nm.us/Contact_the_Governor.aspx

Tell Governor Martinez to VETO SB 226. Tell her that anything other than a stroke of the Veto pen is a mark against public rights. Tell her to look to their neighbor to the northwest, and the coalition of thousands that have rallied to fight for public rights. Tell her that millions of taxpayer dollars WILL be wasted on needless lawsuits to overturn the law. Tell her that complicating access laws will compromise the $607M annually that sport fishing brings to the New Mexico economy. Tell her that access and use of PUBLIC water belongs to the PUBLIC. Tell her that Vandalism, Littering, and Trespass are already against the law, and need to be enforced, without codifying additional unnecessary access restrictions. Tell her that 2 state Supreme Court decisions, Red River in New Mexico and Conatser in Utah support the constitutional rights of the public to access and use their waters. Tell her that what will follow will be bolstered by the momentum of ALL citizens, inside and outside of New Mexico's borders, that want to protect and maintain public access to public waters.

Let's not let another state fall.

Board of Directors

Utah Steam Access Coalition

[email protected]

www.utahstreamaccess.org

I hope the sportsmen in NM can win this important battle. Unfortunately, this is yet another example of where the Utah model is spreading to other states. As a fellow sportsman and Utah resident, I apologize that so many of the bad ideas relating to the outdoors and wildlife management originate from without our borders. Good luck!

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-15 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]They're taking our water, next is our land. Then what??? Hope ya'll like watching soccer! What else you going to spend your time doing? It wont be hunting! That's the real European hunting model SFW is pushing.

As a reminder, SFW was the only sportsman group that backed the successful private take over of YOUR Utah public waters. And now New Mexico is on the ropes.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-15 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]I could care less what happens in NM. NM screwed the NR hunters and most (not all) of the residents were happy to do so. I still remember the comments from a few NM residents. You reap what you sow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom