WA Turkey Success

WAstickslinger

MuleySniper and I had a blast chasing gobblers last week. He killed two and I killed one. We should have both doubled but my Mathews just couldnt connect. I really wanted to take one with a bow. I missed a 10 incher at 30 yards. Should have had the shotgun. Oh well it worth a try with the bow. MuleySniper missed on the first evening with a bow as well. We decided to bust out the shotguns and take care of business.

MuleySnipers first bird. 9 1/2 inch beard.
P1020821.jpg

My bird. 8 1/2 inch beard.
P1020826.jpg

Both birds.
P1020830.jpg

P1020833.jpg

MuleySnipers second bird.
P1020836.jpg

Sweet! At least you guys were able to put a couple on the ground. Congrats.

>The birds were very tough to
>call in this week. I
>think it will still be
>about a week before they
>are hot.

COOL...i'm kind of hoping thats the case. we're going to the blues this weekend to try again.

We found that getting them right out of the roost was about the only time they would respond. When we left they we talking about an hour before the roost as well. They were very quiet coming in. In fact one of them never gobbled, we just got in front of him and let him walk to us.

We had the same bird definitely 2 days, and maybe 3, come to about 100 yards, then turn around and go the other way 2-3 times. he'd come almost all the way in, the turn around and gobble all the way a long ways away, then come right back in. we worked that stinking bird for an hour and a half maybe 3 days in a row...couldn't get him. we saw him only once on the first day. not sure if he saw us or not, but he would only gobble on his own, not to respond to any calling. smart bird.

Sounds like he was working his ridge. He will walk back and forth all day. He probably wasn't even coming to your calling. In fact when you called he probably turned. If you want to kill him and you are patient you should just get out in front and wait him out silently. I know it is more fun to call them in but it is very tough right now.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-07 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]I really wanted to do that, but i was afraid i would bump him out of there onto private land. he was gobbling so little, we weren't sure where he was all the time and didn't want to end up right on top of him and blow him out of the county.

Sweeeeet! That's awesome. Congrats!
We can only get 1 bird here in AZ and I am going in 9 days 16 hours and 22 min.! :)
Archerman - Archery hunting addict!

Slinger, you should of got out the beard stretcher and had that one mounted. Those tail feathers dont get any finer that the ones that bird was struttin.
MS

I will add the photos later of the new potential washington state record turkey that MuleySniper killed. You might get to see them before he requests for them to be nuked. He will be mad but oh well. No big magazine will pay him big bucks for a turkey, I think he is crazy. Check in later for a sneak peak.

Ok, here it is. MuleySniper was so proud of this bird. No photoshop here, this is a 100% real picture. Look at the mass on this thing. Sorry Sniper, hope I didn't screw up that magazine deal. What did they offer you? Wasn't it like $20K an ounce for that beard. You should have replicas made.

P1020835.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom