Wacky Idea...

OpeningDay

Here is an idea. Probably way out in left field with this one, but I thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought.
What if Utah could somehow put together a relocation project for the deer. Lets take a quota of management bucks off of all the LE units that can afford it and relocate them to the general units across the state. If possible, take some does and fawns as well. That way you do not have to have management hunts on the LE units and you are adding to the General herds. More bucks for general unit hunters and better quality on both general and LE units. It would manage the deer numbers on LE units and maybe increase the herds a little on the general units. Like I said, I am probably way out there on this one, but its an idea no matter how wacky it is..

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-09 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]This is an expensive idea. Anything that costs the DWR won't happen. As it is they get $$$ for the management hunts.

I have also heard biologists say that transplanting/relocating mule deer does not work for whatever reason. Utah has some historical experience with this and all attempts have failed to my knowledge.

Yeah. I figured it was a far cry with cost and all. I may just be convincing myself in my head, but I don't see why it wouldn't work..

And let those management buck genetics mix and mingle with the high quality genetics we see on the general units, no way???

Dillon

I like it. AZ took some Elk from Yellowstone, and that looks it it worked out pretty well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom