Wall tent question?

Craig

Very Active Member
I have a 16'X20' wall tent from Montana Canvas. Last year was the first year we tried to use the tent. During elk camp a wind storm came through the mountains and my tent got blown over and trashed. The tent is getting fixed. I was wondering if people with tents could help he out.

When we set the tent up we put the rain fly on and the tent and the rain fly were tied together on the same stake. I se no way that the wind could have caught the tent. I am thinking that the wind caught the rain fly and lifted it off and then the tent was tied to the rian fly and the tent just went with everything else. When you set up your tent do you tie the tent and the rain fly to different stakes. Can you think of any other ways to prevent a tent from getting blown away.

some parts of the internal frame were bent and need to be replaced. I have heard that you can use some pipe stuff from home depot. Does anyone know what it is and is it cheaper then a new frame.

thanks for the help

Yes you can use 1" EMT,,,anyway that is what my wall tent internal frame is made of.. as far as the rain fly I would tie it down with seperate tent pegs.

this is the frame I use for my 12x14 wall. you can cut your own poles from the hardwear store to fit your tent. tenthttp://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0015374&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat550002&parentId=cat550002&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075

Ron

I have a 16 X 20 tent from Montana Tent and Canvas and it has held up to severe winds many times. We tie down the tent with the rope provided and tie them off to the stakes that came with it. Our rainfly we tie off to a separate set of stakes at more of an angle than the tent. It has held up to more than I thought it would.
Shane

I use top rail for chainlink fence the tapered end is just right for the Montana Quik frame cut them to length and add another tapered end to the other side to slide in to the next Quik connection so now you have a side rail that has to trapered ends that slide right into the quik frame For a large tent I would only span about 5' a small tent you can span up to 10' The 5' span works better in snow and high winds. But you can't beat the cost of the frame I got the pieces from a fence company for 10 bucks and did my own cutting and welding, about a hour later I had a frame ready. The side post I use the same stuff one end has a tapered end and the other end is just plain. I always carry a extra rail and post in case one gets bent or a weld breaks haven't had to many problems had a couple of the quik connections break send them back to Montana Canavas and they sent me new ones at no charge. (very nice company to do business with) But you can't beat the frame cost(use toprail of chain link)Send me a P:M if you need more information on how to build it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom