wall tents

tikkamike

sorry if this has been covered before im new and dont see a search function other than scrolling through the posts. Anyway I live in northern wyoming and have always just hunted from my housa and drove each morning to my hunting spot which is fine, camping in the winter isnt that much fun anyway. Recently I bought a cot and pad for an elk hunt this month and the thing was a whole new kind of camping comfort. Not I am thinking I need a wall tent and stove and I can have the same comfort even in late november. I have looked at several tents and the one the strikes the most interest is the cabelas alaknak 12x12 tent. it has a stove jack and a several other nice features that I really like. It isnt canvas so I dont know how the material that its made of compares but it has great reviews online. I am also looking at the colorado cylinder stove to go with it. Anyone have experience with these tents good or bad, or any other tent recommendations? I am looking to have a tent that is big enough to move around in a little bit and house 2-3 guys max on the big 40"x85" cots along with the stove.

My hunting partner and I use a 12x14 wall tent. We usually have 3 people in it. It is not over-big for three. You might want a bigger tent than a 12x12.

I have stayed in the Alaknak 12x12 and for 3 guys and gear and stove, we were cramped. I liked the tent overall, however, if I were purchasing one, I would go with a canvas tent. There wasn't anything wrong with it, but it sucked having to get out of the tent and clear snow, as there is not as much of a support system for the roof. Also the tent we used had a couple small holes from ambers from the stove, not repairable to my knowledge. Just my 2 cents anyway. It was nice but for the money I would buy canvas.

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

>I have stayed in the Alaknak
>12x12 and for 3 guys
>and gear and stove, we
>were cramped. I liked the
>tent overall, however, if I
>were purchasing one, I would
>go with a canvas tent.
>There wasn't anything wrong with
>it, but it sucked having
>to get out of the
>tent and clear snow, as
>there is not as much
>of a support system for
>the roof. Also the tent
>we used had a couple
>small holes from ambers from
>the stove, not repairable to
>my knowledge. Just my 2
>cents anyway. It was nice
>but for the money I
>would buy canvas.
>
>~Jason Peterson
>Mossy Oak ProStaff
>
>"No man should go through life
>without once experiencing healthy, even
>bored solitude in the
>wilderness, finding himself depending solely
>on himself and thereby learning
>his true and hidden strength."~Jack
>Kerouac

I was actually wondering how the material would stand up to hit embers and I hadnt thought of the fact that the tent may not be repairable. Very good points infact "non repairable" is a deal breaker for me, too much money for that kind of possibility. I would prefer a little bigger than 12x12 but thats the size the alaknak came in so its the numbers I chose. the 12x14 or 14x14...etc would be great. I am pretty sure I want a floor too. is there any downside to having a floor or advantage to NOfloor?

I have a montana canvas 14x17 love it, have a small sheepherder stove in it keeps it plenty warm oct/ Nov , my wife and I can have it setup in about an hour there is a lot of wall tent. Makers/ builders I beleive davis makes tent in co.

I prefer the wall tent as we take a piece of reminent carpet half the size of the tent and go with a half floor. nice in the morning time when you step out of bed. Easy to sweep off.

~Jason Peterson
Mossy Oak ProStaff

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Pm sent

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Pm sent
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

pm returned

I checked out the alaknak 13x20 at Cabelas in Boise it is a very solid tent!! If you are worried about embers from the stove they make a guard for it that covers a portion of the roof, or you could use pellets in the stove. I have heard of some guys doing that to avoid embers. Cabelas has the 12x12 on sale you should check out all the accessories you can get for it. Just my 2 cents, good luck with whatever you decide.

I use a Montana wall tent with 5 foot walls along with a 1 foot tarp at the bottom to help with water coming in after a snow starts melting.

Stay away from 4ft walls. just more of pain.

If you get one never roll it up wet or else it will mold. Sometimes when I pack out hunting camp its snowing or raining im forced to fold it up. or it gets wet packing the horse out so when I get home I set it up and wash it and dry it. Years later still looks brand new.

I use a 12x12. That holds 2 cots. a Sims stove. room for 4 saddles and plenty of room to move around.

For a standard canvas wall tent, you can put a plastic tarp over the canvas tent that protects the canvas from burning embers (the plastic may burn rather than the canvas). Also, the plastic tarp sheds snow readily.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-13 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p]I wouldn't own a tent with a sewn in floor. Tarps are cheap and make great floors. They can easily be swept off and and you don't have to worry about holes, mud, spills, etc. Take a look at a couple of the pictures below and imagine what it'd be like with a sewn in floor.

For 2 - 3 guys (and their gear), go at least 14x16 with a screened door and at least a window or two for ventilation in warmer weather or if you get the stove stoked too hot. As someone else already posted, a poly tarp or rain fly stretched over the roof serves several purposes. It not only helps with snow and rain, but also provides an extra layer of insulation, is a barrier against hot embers, and it keeps the sun from beating down on the canvas.

Stick with a reputable maker such as Davis, Montana Canvas, AAA Tents/Kirkhams, Colorado Tent & Awning, etc. and never put it away wet, and you'll have a tent to last a lifetime. And whatever you do, DO NOT buy anything from Western Wall Tents!

520tent1.jpg

5225tent2.jpg

1549tent3.jpg

5237tent5.jpg

8792tent4.jpg

7159tent6.jpg

>For a standard canvas wall tent,
>you can put a plastic
>tarp over the canvas tent
>that protects the canvas from
>burning embers (the plastic may
>burn rather than the canvas).
> Also, the plastic tarp
>sheds snow readily.

I agree 100%. we do the same to help the snow fall off. Tarps are cheap.

I own a 12'x12' Alaknak and my buddy has the 12x14' canvas, with a 12x16' extension/cooking shack.

Alaknak: Much less expensive new, much lighter, much more compact, built in floor(keeps mice out!!), handles wind and snow in conditions you wouldn't imagine looking at the fabric, and has a roof cover to help with burn holes from stove pipe(PS Canvas burns too. 12'x12', works fine for 3 cots, if you add vestibule for cooking, wood storage, and storing wet stuff. Have used mine in 5deg temps with 20mph winds in Eastern Idaho mid Nov last year with no temp problems.

Canvas: Breathes a little better and more recommended if relying on wet heat(propane) exclusively. More size options. Retains heat better. Cooler in direct sunlight on warm days, if you have proper windows/screens. I think if well maintained(put away bone dry), it could last generations. Lot's available on Craigslist used.

I am very happy with my Alaknak, and wouldn't hesitate to look at the 12x20' model and since I hate rodents being anywhere near my food or bed, would not be happy with a floorless tent.

We use a canvas and propane heaters. Much faster/easier to start for heat in the morning. Plus don't have to worry about a fire when you leave, just turn them off. For at night we have one with a oxygen censor on it and open the vents at the top of the tent. stays plenty warm even when it gets down in the teens..

We have a 14x17 and generally have 3 guys, it is nice cause we have a kitchen table and a eating table in the middle. enough room to hang clothes to dry overnight, keep all your gear etc...

Would not get a floor, heavy, expensive and adds time to set up/tear down. We bought some outdoor carpet on clearance and just roll that out. As far as rodents we just set 4 traps around the tent and catch them as they come in. Never have an issue with them getting into food.

Also, we put a large tarp over the top of our tent. Snow slides off much easier and the tent doesn't get so wet when it snows rains. Results in less of a mess and lighter when packing up .

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

I have owned a 12x12 alaknak for about 8 years and have taken it all over the West. I agree with everything BPKHunter said. It is a great tent and lighter and quicker to dry than canvas. the vestibule is great and makes it feel a lot bigger because you can store gear and cook in it. If I was buying another I may go with the 12x20, but have been very happy with the brand.

+1 on the 12X12 Alaknak - very good tough tent - have used twice - once alone and once with the Vestibule. Have the roof panel, optional floor cover, and a Hunter cylinder stove. Nice to have the vestibule as a "mud Room" keeping the tent cleaner. Both hunts were Sept. bow hunts with lots of flys & yellow jackets to deal with - No mice troubles. Did have a condensation problem once and is pretty warm if in direct sun. Stove worked out well on cold (Sept.)nights.

If your stuck on a wall tent, look at the "Blend tent" from cabela's. Canvas roof with re-lite walls - very light and breatheable. With an extended fly as a porch, this would be a great choice and will hold heat better than a single wall Alaknak. One could even put a wall mounted stove jack to limit any roof leaks. Also a "sod cloth" option would be a worth while addition to this shelter. I agree the 5' walls are best.... More useable space. I like the wall tent's floor plan, and would be roomy (for 3)compared to my 12 X 12.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom