Want an oryx hide?

efnm

Random post but I'm hoping to get an oryx on one of the next weekends during a badged hunt and I'm curious if anyone in Cruces, TorC or Socorro would want the hide (that's my route home). It seems like a waste of such a neat hide, but I don't have a use for it.

Normally I'd quarter it up since I do the gutless method, but I'd be happy to try to be good to the hide.

EFNM

I'd be happy to figure out how to get it from you.

Either just the cape or preferably full-body hide if it's a good bull. My taxidermist friend is always looking for them because guys shoot them up, get them too hot and hair slips, etc.

If you get a response from someone who needs it personally, get to them, but if you just don't want it to go to waste I can make sure it will get put to use.

I'm in ABQ, but could make a run to Socorro.

Good luck!

Carl

BTW as you can imagine, full-body makes butchering a lot more difficult. Best way is "dorsal cut", meaning slit from base of skull to base of tail and then no more cuts in the hide, basically peeling everything inside out. A tarp comes in handy for this method.

Cape-only is much easier, but be sure to leave it at least to 1/2 way back on the body to account for potential pedestal pose. For cape don't need hide below the knees.

Thx.
Carl

I'm planning on keeping the skull & horns for a euro mount, so this method sounds rather difficult to get the hide off without cutting further into the face. Is that right or am I missing something?

I was picturing providing something that could be turned into the following:

Oryx-Fell_2.jpg

I have been wanting something like this picture for my loft!! I will meet you in Socorro and pick it up from you!!

Hi Jared,

Are you up for tanning it - what you will get will be straight from the field and I'll do my best to get it off in a very nice single piece like that photo above.

If you don't want to tan it I give it to Hank.

Ephraim

Yeah, I will take it and tan it!! Thanks for offering this!! Will look awesome on the wall in the Loft!!! Wish I caped mine out to do it but I didn't....been wanting one for a while now!!!

We had a absolutely great hunt this weekend on the small missile range, with a fun 2 mile stalk to get close to a herd. It resulted in this 34" cow and tough haul of meat back to the truck.

vhdd12.jpg

Thanks. These guys are tough to put down, which I knew going in. The first shot was from its left side (side on the ground in the pic) and destroyed its left upper joint. You can see the large exit wound in front of the the right upper joint. It got up and fell back down within 5 yards but I didn't hit enough vitals so it looked around for a bit before I got in position to fire again. It was now presenting the other side showing in the photo. That shot went in right behind the right leg and went through the lungs but missed the heart.

That put it down for good, or so I thought, once it sunk its head and stopped moving fairly quickly. I gathered up my stuff and closed the distance from 270 to 230 yards and it got back up again (and promptly fell back down) so I got the final shot in through the right upper joint and through the heart.

Lesson learned that these guys are tough and I should have hit a little bit higher but I'm glad that I anchored it with the first shot.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom