Wasatch East observation and question

YoteGoat77

Spent some time with a buddy doing some scouting for mule deer in the Uinta outside of Heber City last weekend. High country was great and was a productive trip.

A few locals we ran into mentioned that area was hit or miss come late October with snow/conditions. Does anybody have personal experience they'd be able to share as far as access or what might to expect?

Observations: place was very green with a ton of water, the climate/topography changes greatly going south of hwy 40, and people love carving initials into aspens.

Scouting Pic.jpg

This guy was on the Wasatch East.

The last few years the deer have moved off the top by the rifle hunt. All depends on when it starts to snow and how much!!

Utah mountains can be 70's and hot or 3 feet of snow by the end of October so it's a crap shoot on knowing where the deer will be at a certain time of year. Some areas the deer leave the high country quickly and others you will find the biggest bucks still in belly deep snow.
If you don't know the area, I'd plan to have options on where you hunt and be flexible.
At least that's what I do.
Best of luck

The Modern Day Bucks Ain't As Tough As They Once Were!

Most Of them Now Start Running Down Hill When First half Assed Snow Storm Hits!

But I Sure Remember When The Big Wise Bucks Would Hold Back Until the Snow Was Un-Real Deep!

The Modern Day Bucks Ain't As Tough As They Once Were!

Most Of them Now Start Running Down Hill When First half Assed Snow Storm Hits!

But I Sure Remember When The Big Wise Bucks Would Hold Back Until the Snow Was Un-Real Deep!
Bess is always longing for the days in black and white.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom