Wasatch Moose Tag

hillshooter

I dont know how it happened, but lucked into a Wasatch moose tag. I really shouldn't have drawn it but its better to be lucky than good I guess! I've been out scouting a few times and have seen some cows and a couple of small bulls, a bunch of elk though, go. It's going to be a great summer. I'll try and keep this thread updated with pictures, my new spotting scope will be here next week, so hoping for some good digiscope pictures.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-16 AT 12:59PM (MST)[p]Congratulations on "popping" an excellent tag.
It's going to be GREAT fun!
How close are you to the unit?

I hike in the unit 3-4 times per week and found a trophy bull last year and posted pics on MM, as I remember, but no one reached out to me. (maybe the bull wasn't really that good, huh?) LOL

Zeke

I would love to see any pictures that you have of that bull from last year. I have been watching this site for quite a while before joining, but I don't recall seeing any moose pictures of yours from last year. Have you ran into him yet this year? I live in central Utah so I'm right in the middle of the unit. That being said, most of the country that I know really well doesn't hold many moose. So consequently I have expanded my horizons and ventured out of my comfort zone and have been exploring new country. Most of the moose that I've seen so far have been on these expeditions. It has been a blast so far learning about an animal that I've never hunted before. Thanks

I'll track down the pic when I get to my computer later this week.
I have not seen him yet this year but that doesnt surprise me. Those big black critters are like ghosts, at times, especially when it's this hot.
He hung around my cabin this winter (or his girl friends) and about ate a whole tree right in front of my deck. The snow would be all tracked up and the tree would get a little smaller every time I went up this winter. I was happy to feed them but my tree took a beating. No one knows what kind of tree it is but moose love it!
Zeke

70421dscn2168.jpg

Here's the best bull I saw last summer.

Not the best pic and you really can't see how good he is. My video shows it better but I have no idea how to show it to you.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-16 AT 08:39PM (MST)[p]Zeke,
I can't tell for sure exactly how big he is from the picture but he looks promising, definitely worth keeping tabs on! As far as the trees at your cabin are concerned, we may need to get together and do a little research as to what type of trees they are, my hunts only 3 months away so I need to get busy planting! A little miracle grow and me doing a rain dance or two and I may have a shot by September. I would definitely like to see whatever video footage that you have of him, I am going to send you a PM. Thanks

Sorry Waters, I don't have any current Intel on the Kamas unit. When I was younger though I hunted muzzleloader deer up there somewhere by kamas, not sure where exactly its been too long, and saw a whopper of a bull moose. He was wide with good palms, but he also had double drop tines, one coming from the back of each palm and they forked at the end. I've never seen that before or since then. Good luck with your hunt, I hope that you are having as much fun as I am scouting and learning about an animal that not many of us will ever hunt in this state. Good luck and keep us posted with how the scouting is going.

shooter, it has been fun i never thought i would draw so I'm not real familiar with the area. made a few trips and will make may more.do moose typically stay in the area you see them until the rut?

I hear ya about a surprise tag, I even thought about heading up to Idaho and getting a few Power Ball tickets after I recovered from the shock of drawing! I figured that it was a sure thing that I'd win with this new found luck that I found. My wife even suggested the same thing because she knows that I'm not going to hold anything back with this tag. Luckily she and my 12 year old son are just as excited as I am to get up at 3 am to go scouting, my other 2 kids, are not so eager! As far as your question about rutting, I'm not sure. There are way more knowledable people than me that could answer your question. The easiest answer for me to tell you is that I sure hope so! I took the whole hunt off from work so I'll find out the answer to your question later this fall and let you know! Keep your thread updated with your scouting progress, I'll keep my eye on it and do the same here. Good luck!

I know. You'd better sprinkle on the Miracle Grow pretty thick if you're going to bait in a moose in 3 months. LOL

PM sent back to you and I'll see what I can do with that video from last summer. If nothing else I can tell you where I saw him and how to get into the country. There are always a few moose around that area but you'll need to get in there early or late and wear out some boot leather.

Moose seem to gravitate to the same general areas from year to year but those things can really travel so they might be about anywhere from the top to the bottom of the canyons.

Zeke

Zeke
Sounds like a plan. PM sent. Unfortunately my green thumb only applies to annoying weeds that end up getting sprayed because they take over everywhere! I'll just accept my shortcomings for what they are, and just plan on working hard! My son and I are headed out scouting again in the morning so fingers are crossed. I'll let y'all know what we turn up.

Well..... I never thought that I could ever say it, but I'm getting fed up with looking at herds of elk and groups of deer! Go figure, don't you always find everything but what your after LOL!! We didn't turn any moose up over the last couple of days, but I've had an awesome time hanging out with the family and glassing some huge country. My kids have finally resorted to the fact that our summer is dedicated to moose hunting! Anyway, hope everyone else's scouting is going strong and your turning up some monsters!

Herds of elk on the Wasatch?? You must be mistaken, there's no elk left. While I'm out watching elk though, I'll keep an eye out for a good bull winkle.

Haha! Shadow that's what I heard too. I'm sure that if finding an elk was the goal, then I'd probably know where every moose on the mountain was at! I would appreciate any intel that you would share from your scouting trips, thanks. Did you draw a big bull tag? I've been out 3 more times scouting and have drawn a blank on the moose. On Saturday I found 2 bull elk that were opening morning, first light shooters. For me anyway! We saw 10 bulls, the biggest of the bunch was a 7x7 that I would estimate was north of 360". He had an extra tine on both sides that was in between his 4th and 5th point that was about 10-12" long. He was running with 4 other bulls and the others didn't hold a candle to him, it's been pretty fun being out in the hills. It's a pain in the a$$ trying to take pictures with a cell phone without having the right tools, so a phone skope is inbound. I'll keep y'all updated with my escapades.

You're having loads of fun and the moose success is forthcoming. Moose are darn hard to find (for me) this time of year.

While I've never chased them in Utah, I have chased them in Wyoming more than a few times and a couple years the tag was in my pocket. When the weather cools the bulls will get more visible.

You're learning the country and roads which will be a real benefit going forward. Keep up the good work and let me know when you want to drop by for a little info.

Zeke

Zekes right, moose seem to lay low until it cools some. Learn the country, relax and enjoy the time out and they'll appear when it's time. No bull tag for me I just enjoy getting out when I can. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bull though.

Wondering if the moose ate moving on the Wasatch unit.pretty slow on the kamas unit. Has any hunters been on the kamas side?

It's been pretty rough going! I know that the moose are there though, it seems like everyone else but me are seeing them! I've seen some pictures of bulls that archery hunters have seen and it's getting me pretty excited. I have been out scouting at least twice a week since I found out that I had drawn, I've seen a couple but not as many as I would like. I have learned a bunch of country in my unit, that will come in handy when it cools down and the moose start moving more. The moose will start roaming and stay out feeding later now that I have to wear a coat in the morning when I'm in the mountains. Have you seen any good bulls up there?

I haven't seen much others have seen some I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm hoping some bowhunters will find them. Will they start moving more when it is cooler?

Don't wear yourself out before the best part of the hunt even starts. The last 2 weeks are the best time to hunt. Scout some with a gun in your hand and really hunt it the last 2 weeks. Don't get too worried now and let it effect your hunt. If you scout a bull and shoot opening day, then great. But once the leaves fall and the bulls are wandering, then you will have opportunities.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Thanks for the input. I'm just nervous since I only got 1 shot to get 1 killed.I love reading all of the forums and hunters success stories. ...

+1 to Zeke and Packout.
My Wyoming moose scouting before mid September was pretty worthless, other than getting to know the country. Once the rut starts and frost hits the mountains, finding bulls is much easier. If you can locate some groups of cows that are hanging in a particular area, make note of it and start checking on them as the month goes on, because the bulls will be doing the same thing.
Best of luck boys!

Wanted to give you guy's an update on my moose hunting adventure. This has been the best hunt that I have ever been on, and the best part is that it is still going on. My family and I have logged many miles and hours behind the glass and have turned up quite a few moose, but so far nothing with the "WOW" factor that I'm looking for. I have seen pictures of some stud bulls that other hunters have taken, and wanted to congratulate all of you! I took the last week off to take my 12 year old son on his first deer hunt, and he was successful at taking a nice buck so now we are back to moose hunting. Hopefully the rut will be going full swing and the bigger bulls will be more visible. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Also thanks to everyone who has sent info or tips my way, they are much appreciated.

I talked to a guy today that found a couple great bulls.
Text me, and I will try to connect you.
801 368 3427

I just about smacked a nice bull on my dirt bike the other day while pulling trail cameras. If you haven't already killed I can send you his way. Text me and I can send you pics and video to see what you think. 8017876639

}}-SLIVER-->

The stars finally aligned for me, and I tagged out on Saturday with a nice bull! Thanks to everybody for all of the advice, and hot leads, I really appreciated all of it. I wanted to make this hunt an adventure for myself as well as for my wife and kids, and I'm positive that it was. I had my whole hunting crew there with me when I took my bull. I need to apologize to all of the spike elk hunters that were within 10 miles of us, because when I dropped my bull there was a lot of whooping and hollering coming from them! I hunted 16 days and I turned up a TON of moose, before I got my bull I passed 41 bulls, and seen about 100 cows, I was amazed with the amount of moose out there. Im trying to figure out how to post a picture right now, as soon as I can I'll put one up. If anyone has a tag and wants my 2 cents I'll help any way that I can. I'd like to try and repay the help that I was given. Thanks again everybody!

Way to go hillshooter! Sounds like you got it done in style!
I can't wait to see the pics.

Feel comfortable emailing them to bowhunt, If you want. He's a solid friend and will take care of you.

Zeke

Dammit hillshooter, THAT'S a keeper!
Way to go man!!!!
Here's a huge CONGRATULATIONS from me.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-16 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]Congrats that is an awesome moose. My wife also had a Wasatch tag this year it was a fun hunt. We definitely would have shot yours had we seen it. But we ended up with a nice bull as well. Yours is an absolute stud!!

Thanks for the kind words fellas, it was incredible pursing an animal that not very many people will have the opportunity to hunt in their lifetime, at least in the western states. I will say that it is addicting! Besides harvesting a respectable moose, my other main goal was to have my family as involved in the hunt as I could. From early morning scouting trips, to flinging mud balls at each other at lunch, my kids are still talking about this summer and falls adventures. I may not kill the biggest bucks on the mountain while I have my family in tow, but I'm hoping that they will have fostered a love of our sport like my dad instilled in me and tote me around when I'm old! Anyway, good luck to everyone on the deer hunt this weekend!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom