Wasatch Muleys

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
I drew the General Archery tag and plan to start scouting next week. I am very new to Utah and would like some advise on what direction to start looking. I have heard that city creek is popular? I would like to get as faraway from people as possible. I am looking to kill a 180 plus. I would trade info on NV for UT info.

nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif

>Alot of guys hunt up a
>lifetime and dont kill 180
>and the wasatch is even
>harder good luck!
>
>
>
hornkiller.jpg

So I have heard. But I love to hunt and if I dont kill anything I will still have a blast!

Very few 180+ bucks on the Wasatch front, tall order. I would suggest using your state wide archery tag for the last time and head to the southern portion of the state.

I would stay clear of City Creek. I went there last season for a day and the amount of hunters there is crazy. You would think it was rifle season. Saw 4 different groups of guys all trying to sneak in on the same buck. Plus, not too many 180+ bucks hang out in the popular areas.
Above Bountiful/City Creek does have a lot of deer, but go higher, away from the crowds and you'll have a better time.

The wasatch is hard place to bow hunt. That being said there are some awesome deer on it. If you spend time on it and hunt hard you will see big bucks.

So you have never hunted the front and you just think you can get info from the MM crew and go kill a 180 buck with a bow on Public land? Hmmmmm.... Is this one of those MM jokes?

Go do your homework and hunt hard. I know several bow hunters that have hunted for 10+ years and never harvested a buck. A 180 buck with a bow is a tall order on any unit, LE or not.

My advice is spend several years learning areas and deer habits. Maybe one day you will get your chance at a nice buck. City creek is good, but you won't be alone. And most people don't just run into 180 bucks in an area they don't even know.

>So you have never hunted the
>front and you just think
>you can get info from
>the MM crew and go
>kill a 180 buck with
>a bow on Public land?
>Hmmmmm.... Is this one of
>those MM jokes?
>
>Go do your homework and hunt
>hard. I know several bow
>hunters that have hunted for
>10+ years and never harvested
>a buck. A 180 buck
>with a bow is a
>tall order on any unit,
>LE or not.
>
>My advice is spend several years
>learning areas and deer habits.
>Maybe one day you will
>get your chance at a
>nice buck. City creek is
>good, but you won't be
>alone. And most people don't
>just run into 180 bucks
>in an area they don't
>even know.

I work hard for the deer I have killed and I have killed some very nice bucks in NV. I just happen to live here now. BTW , I have helped alot of people on this site so is it so bad to ask for help?

City Creek can be good, but it's mostly oak-brush and the truth is that there are less deer than there have been in the past and more hunters to boot. Access is becoming more limited. As was mentioned, you may do will to try higher up N. Canyon, MP canyon or any of the other Canyon's north or south of the B. Or, you could try the zoo south of I-80, but it's not my first or tenth choice......

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

HJB

I don't know why you are acting like such a tough guy. Why wouldn't a guy help another guy out from another state. I have no problem giving NV_Hunter some good information. In fact I sent him a PM with information of where the so called "professional hunters" in Utah hunt on the front.

I chase multiple 180"+ bucks every year from SLC to Brigham City, and they really aren't very hard to find when they are chasing does and there is snow on the ground. Be a little bit more kind because one day you will need some help from a stranger.

Oh HBJ, don't be a weener :)

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

>So you have never hunted the
>front and you just think
>you can get info from
>the MM crew and go
>kill a 180 buck with
>a bow on Public land?
>Hmmmmm.... Is this one of
>those MM jokes?
>
>Go do your homework and hunt
>hard. I know several bow
>hunters that have hunted for
>10+ years and never harvested
>a buck. A 180 buck
>with a bow is a
>tall order on any unit,
>LE or not.
>
>My advice is spend several years
>learning areas and deer habits.
>Maybe one day you will
>get your chance at a
>nice buck. City creek is
>good, but you won't be
>alone. And most people don't
>just run into 180 bucks
>in an area they don't
>even know.

1st class DONKEY!!

Wow HJB I'm a little disappointed in your response. after all the help you received last year on your elk hunt, one would think you would be decent and if you couldn't help just keep quiet. You take take take but then the next guy comes and asks for a little help and you tell him to shove it???
Man I might have to rethink helping you on durst or skull crack? Just go get it done yourself

Heck don't get down on MJB his is a victim of the Utah draw system-----'One Tag Wonder'-------it sucks!

Robb

Yeah HJB, it wasnt to long ago you were asking for my advice. As far as the Front you really cant go wrong on the late season hunt get as far from the mountain as you can. Example a grocery store parking lot and glass as much as you can from a ways off. You'll turn up good bucks.

What would you guys that are familiar with the front have to say regarding the seasonal patterns of the bucks on the front? How long will they stay on their summer range?
Is the hunting pressure higher at certain times of the long hunt?
Just curious what your guys' thoughts are. I have spent a little time over the last few weeks checking areas here and there and have come across a few decent bucks. Definitely havent found a 180" wall hanger yet. I'm wondering how they will move over the next 4 months?

I cant say for the deer pattern, but I've noticed that in September and October you wont see hardly anyone. For the first few weeks of the hunt it seems crowded and then November is slammed.

Yeah, go with TB23 on the places he mentioned on the extended hunt. Let me know where you going so I can arrange a warden to accompany you hunting outside of the unit.

HBJ or HJB, Matt, has been very helpful for me in the past so don't bag on him for never giving back.

Think about this for a minute, think of your best deer spot you've hunted for years. Say a guy gets on here and says I'm coming in from out of state could use some help finding a monster. Are you really going to tell him all you know? If you do your best spot will be a little more crowded in the future, guaranteed.

Even worse, if some other guy replies and talks about your area that the bucks do this or that, wouldn't you be pissed? I think the majority of guys just ignore these requests or if there's a carrot dangled like this guys NV info, they might drop him a bone but definately not his best spots..

I think some guys get a little grouchy sometimes with these requests, but I say just ignore it. I have helped guys with info and have received help from guys so I'm kind of in that gray area on this but am a big believer in PM's for this.

Thanks to those of you who have offered to help. I have put some time on my boots and I have found a couple decent bucks with your help. For the record ... I moved here from NV over a year ago and now live in UT. Again I feel its fair to trade info or to have someone point you in the right direction. Not looking for a honey hole in any way. I find those on my own. So if you dont have something nice to say or have an issue with someone asking for help,then shut the hell up!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom