Watch for Vandals in 5BN and 6A!!!!

TipMOver

I'm not sure what is in the air this year! Lots of crap going on during these early elk hunts for sure!
I spent some time helping a buddy in 5BN for his archery bull hunt. We had heard of 11 camps that had been vandalized while the hunters were away. Most had stuff stolen, but all had some serious damage done to trailers, equipment, etc.
When I was on the way home, Don Martin sent me a text about Bruce Hudson's camp in 6A. It seems that Bruce and his hunter left for a spell, and returned to 6 slashed tires (on the trailers, I assumed).

What are these people thinking? The folks that we talked to had filed police reports. I hope they all did, and that these idiots are caught and tortured.

Watch your stuff out there!!!

I smell possible NAU students! Had a few in 5BN stop us at the head of the road going in and form a human line so we wouldnt hunt elk. Had to get Fish and game up there before someone got hurt.

GBA

I have often wondered if this type of $%&* goes on. I know we keep alot of expensive stuff out and about at camp. Very troubling to hear stories like this.

We weren't too far camped from Don's guide in 6a..passed their camp on the way out...someone came in there and cut my mules and horses off the highlines...funny thing is they didn't go anywhere..which I'm lucky for that...none the less, good thing I didn't catch them...messing with my tires is one thing...my stock..whole different ballgame there....

I hope these vandals get caught and they get whats coming to them, and I don't mean by the law if you guys catch my drift.
These idiots better watch it! I guess they are to stupid to realize hunters have weapons and it is only going to take messing with the wrong person for it to go bad.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-11 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Not sure how it all went down with Don. His personal camp didnt get messed with from what I know. He was camped in the southern half, I think. Bruce (Silvergrand Outfitter) was camped in the northern half, and got the tires slashed.
Like was said in another post, these guys mess with the wrong camp and get caught, it could get real ugly quick. The 5BN stuff was all around the southern part from what we heard.

I was by Bruces camp a few times this past weekend and they did have all 6 tires on their toyhauler were slashed. nothing was stolen just vandalized. i kinda feel stupid i did not know who Bruce was until a few minutes ago. would have spent some time talking with him if I knew. Nice guy!

caelkhtr....this happened right in our area. pretty sad deal.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-11 AT 10:37PM (MST)[p]Sorry to hear all this crap is going on. You guys that have hunts coming up, need to set up a trail cam on your camp. A few of these a holes getting what they deserve might stop this kind of crap.

BC

For the last 2 weekends I have been in 6A on the north end and haven't seen or heard of anyone getting vandalized. The guy?s im helping out (TopGun here at MM and Friend) are still there and give me a report/update on their hunt every day. I loaned them my Canopy and will be picking that up on Thursday/Tomorrow and head on over to 5BN to help out 264X300 (also here on MM) with him and his buddy on thier early Bull rifle tag.

Thebonecollector, my trail cameras will be coming with me. Great idea to put them up around camp.

This is really disheartening to hear and a first in the 26 plus years I have been hunting the area. Other than the tree hugging kids we had the one year there hasn't been any issues that I have heard of. I just got threw telling TopGun who locks up everything like a fortress including his dog, (lol) that I have never had a camp issue with theft or vandalism. I will be buying locks and chains tonight. I guess there is no better time for a thief to strike then when the hunters are all gone a field. Very sad to me. Truly hope they are caught and severely punished. I just hope they are caught by the law and not a ticked off hunter.

GBA

Let me clarify my statement. Im not too sure what I would do myself in this situation. A thief or vandal getting caught by a ticked off hunter would probably result in the hunter getting himself in some serious trouble. Although the thief has it coming to him and the justice of it would probably be fair and just, what it would do to the victim of a theft or vandalism would or could ruin his life. Although I speak rationally about it now, being in a bad situation off the cuff could have a totally different outcome. Keep your cool guy?s and call the authorities.

GBA

I honestly think it would turn out bad for both of us, If I catch some-one in my camp doing that stuff, I'm sure I would end up in jail and the Vandal would get the last laugh right after he got out the hospital.

Now a couple of years ago in Payson they(young kids on dirt bikes) stole some stuff out my tent a sure fire flashlight(the sad part the battery was dead in and I sure they possiblly threw it way because it didn't work)

AND THOSE LITTLE SOB'S took my cheez its.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Guys this has been going on up there for years but it is becoming frequent! Camps have had generators stolen, tool boxes taken, lounge chairs, quad tires stolen, trailer spares stolen, propane tanks and batteries taken and then they've even driven up and stole a few guys deer or elk hanging. Gas and diesel cans will disappear too!!

The trail cam suggestion is a good one and I'd put one on the road going in and out so you can get the vehicles in case they see the one in camp. I caught a guy behind my trailer a few years back looking for Mike and we both knew there wasn't a MIKE in my camp. He saw that I was packin and got the hell out of there. That same year the generator and a few other things disappeared along the same road for other campers. We gave the sheriff the description and don't know if they ever caught the SOB.

IT's as bad as living in the big city. You need to secure things!! Cables and locks do wonders. Don't leave any weapons visable in your vehicles they'll smash a window and steal it!!

The jails are full so they'll just slap their wrist so you may want to have them bump their heads a few times waiting for the sheriff so they get the picture!

Boskee, I don't doubt what you're saying about the thefts but where is the majority happening? I know people camped at Ashurst and Marshal Lake every year and have never heard of any thefts. I don't camp in areas like those, I am pretty far out and the road in is one rough sucker in a few places. That may be the reason I haven't seen any trouble. I have friends camped at Ashurst right now and they live in Flagstaff. I just talked to him after seeing this post and all the years he has been there he hasn't had or heard of anyone with any thefts but he thanked me for the heads up just the same.

GBA

I hope they run into a few men in full camo masks with axe handles that beat them to a pulp and let them crawl out of the woods. One time and we will see a drastic decline in this kind of crime. That is how it was done when I was young and it works. We had outboards being stolen in the 70's in Oregon. One of my friends got hit and put a new Merc 9.9 on his jet boat. He put single edged razor blades under duct tape on the turnbuckles at the motel we stayed at. Woke up to a lot of blood but the motor was still there. Now we would all be in jail.

Got bowAZ, they seem to drive the roads all over. The incidents I've heard of are mainly in 5BS but I have friends that have been hit in 6A. Single Camps where they can drive by seem to be more vulnerable. IMO the multi unit camps seem to get hit less because of more chance of them getting caught. I used to think things were fine too until they hit camps in an area where I was hunting. Most incidents I've heard about happen when we're out hunting so they are targeting us when we're not there.

>Got bowAZ, they seem to drive
>the roads all over. The
>incidents I've heard of are
>mainly in 5BS but I
>have friends that have been
>hit in 6A. Single Camps
>where they can drive by
>seem to be more vulnerable.
>IMO the multi unit camps
>seem to get hit less
>because of more chance of
>them getting caught. I used
>to think things were fine
>too until they hit camps
>in an area where I
>was hunting. Most incidents I've
>heard about happen when we're
>out hunting so they are
>targeting us when we're not
>there.

They must be employed by the anoited one!
wolves are next!!!

Thanks Boskee, I am packed and loaded waiting now for 12 o?clock noon to get out of here. I will be stopping by TopGun and his Buddy John in 6A and grabbing my tent and canopy then popping back across the road to 5BN. TopGun and John had a really tough hunt, the rut is just too far out yet. I really feel for those guy?s.I will be up in the Marshal Lake area and I will let the guy?s know about the thefts so they can secure camp as much as possible. Heck I worry about getting ripped off in our parking lot here at work more than I have ever had to at camp and we have security patrolling. I actually went out last night because of this post and bought new chains and locks.

gleninaz, I sure a gree with you, a good old fashion beating when these guys are caught would cure most of this from happening once they crawled out of the woods and the word got around what happen to a thief. Just cant get away with that anymore. Alsolove the idea with the razorblades! They got exactly what they deserved and were let off the hook a lot more than they should have been. But your right, if we were to do that today we would be the ones going to jail. Just doesn't sit well with me.

GBA

hell- nothing is safe in your own backyard, what makes ya think it would be safeback in the woods.

I'm surpised they haven't been out in numbers in the Kaibab.
They have the new 30 ft rule - no vechiles to be parked more than 30 ft off the rd. really makes for fun when ya have to leave it next to the rd.
talk about drive by vandals- kinda like a drive thru window -

<hell- nothing is safe in your own backyard, what makes ya think it would be safeback in the woods.>

Because there is a better chance of getting you're A$$ shot in the woods and nobody knowing it than there is in your own back yard?? Seems to me there would be a bigger risk stealing from a hunter, in the woods, that will MOST likely be armed don't you think??

GBA

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-11 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]they also drive around, count vechiles and know that 99% of hunter leave very early and stay late

ya missed the point! if theives want what you got and they think they can get it, it really doesn't matter where you are!!

Wow....now by the way people talk about hunting down south I thought that was the only place this stuff happened at??? Maybe the guys from the southern units realized it much cooler up there and moved up into the forest. On a more serious note it's to bad this happens cause the woods is where we are supposed to be able to get away from the craziness that goes on in the city. Pretty soon most of us who use the outdoors as are therapy sessions are gonna really have to see a shrink.

Bruce Hudson and SilverGrand Outfitters,here.Arived home from archery elk hunt/vandal incident in 6a,yesterday and was going to "Post" a message,but ...

Sad but true,that it did happen.Hunted 1st 5 days of archery "Opener",but had to return to "Sin City" for family business.Returning 3 nights later,Friday.Our camp had been entered and all 6 tires had been slashed flat,by 2 legged Predators.Camped by the corner of 296 and 132D road,Our licence plate visible by passer-bys (Nevada Plates),message ??? Nothing taken,no other damage to 34' Toyhauler,could have been much worse,i.e. broken windows,damage to outer skin on trailer,fire.A $14k Polaris Crew inside,Ya ... Much worse ??? Called local Law,came out to file incident report,said had heard of no other vandalization and No past history ???

Did have a group of "Dirt Bikers" (3) and a "Sand Rail" come by.this past Tues.in p.m.20th and go out East on 132D and come back by about 20-30 minutes later,never gave it a thought till now ... the last "Dirt Bike" came back by and was waiting at intersection 132D & 296,as to be waiting till "Sand Rail" caught up,even waved as He drove off,N. on 296 towards Lower Lk. Mary area. and "Buggy" caught up.All had helmets on ...Maybe,maybe not,

Had camp "Robbed" in the Kaibab back in late "90's",since then tell all,do not leave anything outside,that don't want to loose.

Side note,hunt was toughest ever.Even when did have a "Great Bull" within range down by Kelly Tank,at daybreak and had been on since 5a.m.had a helicopter,circle Us several times looking at the Bull and cows till they all left.For sure a tough archery elk hunt in 6A and unfortunitely a very memorable ending to what should have been ...

Good Luck to "ALL" for the rest of Yours/Our hunts in 2011.Bruce & SilverGrand

Bruce-in all the decades of hunting here I have never heard another hunter complain about out of state hunters. I suppose a local outfitter might resent you but I really would be surprised at that. There are just plenty of dirtballs in the woods these days. Sorry to hear about your problems and better luck in the future.

Hey Eric---Now you know why I even had my $1000 pointer chained in his cage with all those locks! He's so friendly that he would go off with anybody and that's the last I would see of him! I have always locked all my propane tanks, generator, gas cans, and anything else that is of any value because of scumbags that are everywhere in this world. I also have a .380 Beretta right next to me at night after a guy walked by and stole a cooler full of jerky and some expensive stainless steel pots sitting right next to my trailer door as we slept one night in NM on our way to a ML mulie hunt in unit 15 in 2003. It's a shame, but you need to lock up all valuables and place any guns in your vehicle so that they can't be seen from the outside or you are just asking for trouble!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom