water purifiers

MuddyBoots

I was wondering what other guys are using for water filtering and purifying. Has anyone had any experiences with the new ultraviolet pens or MSR's little gizmo or is going old school with tablets still best?

I like my Katadyn Hiker Pro. I don't like the taste of tablets plus they take awhile to work. I have read mixed reviews on the Steripen's effectiveness but have no experience with it myself.

I also do not like the taste of tablets.
I also use a Katadyn Hiker PRO and love it.

I hate to sound dumb but I was always under the impression that filters just prevented bacteria and you would still need some kinda purifier to stop anything viral. If so, are there no worries in the Intermountain West with viral bugs in the water?

Most of us are worried about protozoa, like Giardia lamblia. I'm not worried about waterborne virus. In fact I can't think of a virus that I might encounter in the mountains of western Colorado.

Filter and tablets and you are safe, not worth the risk for me. Filter or pen are both good and then add in Micro pur tablets for minimal chlorine taste (less than city water taste)

I use Hiker Pro and Aqua Mira tablets, but I just bought a steri pen late last year and have not had the chance to use it. Some powdered drink mix to add flavor or disquise any bad taste in the water.
BB

I have used the sterile pen for last 5 or so yrs for my back country water needs. I bought one when they first came out as I liked the weight savings verses a filter. I have used my sterile pen on the bottom of Grand Canyon numerous times to purify colorado river water with no problems. The only drawbacks I feel are the battery usage (4 double AA"s) and the fact that you must first filter dirty water as the pen only works on clear water. If the water is cloudy I first strain it through a shirt or towel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom