Wby 165 BTs' For Sheep?

dreamer

I am going on a dall sheep hunt in a week and am thinking of using Weatherby 165 grain ballistic tips because of their flat trajectory. Has anyone had experience using this round?

You don't say what caliber you are using, but 165 gr. sounds like plenty of bullet from any decent caliber. May I suggest that if it's not a bullet you're used to using then don't mess around with it. Use what you know, have used in the past and are comfortable with. A critical shot at a Dall ram is no time to have doubts or try to remember ballistics that you are unfamiliar with. Keep it simple. Just my two cents worth.

Thanks RamDreamer

Thank. I am using a .300 Wby Magnum. I have killed my share of moose, elk, and deer with the rifle, but have never used a ballistic tip cartridge...always nosler partitions. I like the way the ballistic tips look on paper as far as ballistics, but I was wondering if you had any information on the knockdown power of ballistic tips. Thanks again.

RE: Thanks RamDreamer

I used 160 gr. nosler partitions in a 7 Mag on all four of my sheep. Ya, they are a little hard but they worked. I have seen what ballistic tips do to sheep and I was not impressed. They worked great but what a mess. I would not be too excited to use them on a short-haired August Dall for that reason. Whatever you choose take some good pics and good luck!!

dreamer,

I'm like ramslam in that have used 160 gr. Nosler Partitions (out of a 7mm Rem. Mag.) on all of my sheep. I don't have a Grand Slam like ramslam does, but I have taken 10 rams total. As such, I would encourage you to not change a thing and shoot your Nosler Partitions on this Dall hunt.

Have a great trip!

I agree with the other posters.
That ballistic tip will more than likely make a real mess from your rifle.
Use what you are familiar with and you already know the drop information for your bullet. If you know the yardage and your drop figures a couple inches of trajectory doesn't matter.
Nosler Partition is what I would recommend as well.

I have used the Nosler partitions for over 30 years for deer and sheep. They open up very quickly 'til they hit the partition then stop and will give excellent penetration and 65% weight retention if you recover the bullet which you very seldom do. The ballistic tips are designed to open up rapidly with less ability to penetrate but also are generally a little more accurate. But under hunting conditions the 1/4 to 1/2" better group you may get with a ballistic tip won't even be measureable and way over hyped. I'm more interested in bullet performance that 1/2 minute of angle. The new Hornady interbonds have ballistic tips and excellent weight retention and getting good reviews from sheep hunters. Swift-A Frames also give great weight retention.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I have shot sheep with both the nosler partitions (7mm Mag) and the ballistic tips (300WSM). I was not at all impressed with the ballistic tips and the way they preformed. They cause alot of hide damage. I'm with everyone else on this one, go with the partitions.....

Devin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom