Wby 378 to Wby 30-378

watts

A quick question for you guys that know a lot more then I do
I have an opportunity to pickup three boxes of Wby 378 brass but
I will have to neck it down to Wby 30-378 will I need to buy
a set of reforming dies or can I resize with my standard dies?

Mind you I have no WBY experience but I have made .338 Buster brass (It is a .375 H&H necked down to .338 with a blown out ackley shoulder. A custom wildcat my buddy has from days before the .338 Lapua, RUM and the Edge.) from .375 H&H brass. In my experience you need a case neck trimmer as the brass will thicken a lot when necked down that far and it will shave the copper off the bullets when seating really bad. I just turned the case necks until the the bullet would seat easily.

Good luck and as expensive as that stuff is, I understand why you want to go through the trouble.

Todd

Thanks for the reply Todd you under stand my reason for even going to the trouble of reforming this brass. This stuff is just
expensive and I can pick up this 378 brass for all most nothing.
The guys at RCBS recommend a two die reforming set do the job
correctly I was just hoping that I did not have to spend the
$ 166.90 and could just resize with my standard dies.
Thank for taking the time.

The reason they are recommending a two die reforming set is for you to resize the brass in two seperate gradual stages that may prevent collasping the shoulder. If you are going to have this rifle for any period of time, I would get the RCBS dies and also look into a neck turner to reduce the brass thickness in the neck if needed.
If you can get the 378 brass at a big difference in price, you will pay for the dies and neck turner in a few years. It would also help you to sell the rifle if you chose to do so in the future as most guys shy away from custom calibers unless you can provide them with the tools to make their own custom ammo.

RCBS somewhat pioneered the idea of making custom calibers by converting from the parent brass over other factory die makers and they know what they are talking about. I would listen to their advice as they have been there and done that in the past.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom