weapon/season of choice with 7 deer points

map1

Public land hunt. Not looking for unit specific info. With 7 deer points, what would be the best method to kill a good buck?. Muzzleloader-less pressured bucks up higher and scattered, plus shorter range weapon... 2nd rifle- no rut, pressure starting but also dealing with elk hunters...3rd season- rut may be starting but deer have been pressured and may move into private...4th season- rut hunt but deer have been hunted and moved into private...any info appreciated.

2016 has later dates for all seasons, making 3rd cloaer to rut and 4th in rut. Probably this will get application #s up. What took 7 pps in 15 likely will take 8 in '16. To make sure to draw in '16, these are 5 and 6 pt NR draws in '15:

6NR PP: gmu 80/4th, 76/arch, 62/muz, 48/early rifle, 40/3rd, 6/4th, 44/2nd

5 NR: 67/muz, 66 arch, 63/muz

Wait a year? W 1 more point in '17, you might be able to draw one of the several 7 pt units, after '16 attracts pointholders who have been waiting for the later season dates.

You don't have enough points to go for a premium 4th season hunt. So my question is how much experience do you have hunting mule deer? DO you normally hunt 2nd season? If so I would say pick that then, you know that the best. If its 3rd season then pick that.

I have enough points for a 3rd season hunt in our unit that we like but after helping on the hunt this year, I think I may go back to 2nd season cause I know it better and can pattern the bucks better then.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks everyone for the info...never hunted colorado, have hunted Idaho mule deer October rifle and late muzzleloader public but where i go I never have seen a hunter. I know colorado gets more pressure but is managed better. How many points will get a good 4th season hunt? I did have a Colorado biologist tell me he liked 2nd season better as well. Once i nail down a unit and season I will scout some in the summer and a few days before the hunt.......

>Thanks everyone for the info...never hunted
>colorado, have hunted Idaho mule
>deer October rifle and late
>muzzleloader public but where i
>go I never have seen
>a hunter. I know colorado
>gets more pressure but is
>managed better. How many points
>will get a good 4th
>season hunt? I did have
>a Colorado biologist tell me
>he liked 2nd season better
>as well. Once i nail
>down a unit and season
>I will scout some in
>the summer and a few
>days before the hunt.......

I don't really know anything about the premium 4th season hunts, cause I have never had that many points, nor will I. won't have the $$$ either. fun to dream though.
I have 2 units that I can hunt every other year, (1 or 2 point & 2nd choice). I know them both really well, especially 2nd season. I know where the bucks are and how they respond to hunting pressure so that is where/how I hunt.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom