Weather in G3

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Has any weather hit up there yet? Supposed to get some rain today and hopefully snow up higher but doesn't look like much in the forecast. Gonna be mid teens during the hunt. Questioning taking my 5th wheel now do to freezing temps.

Really hope you get some weather before your hunt. Sitting in Bishop right now. Not much snow up top.

Really hope you get some weather before your hunt. Sitting in Bishop right now. Not much snow up top.
Tell me about it. I know most or a lot of the deer will be down but I am not sure if those older bucks will chase those does down if they don't have to yet, you know? I leave on Thursday morning and will be out scouting by 3 pm hopefully. I have until the 12th if need be. I will find something I like I am sure.

Good day. I hope you have a safe and great hunt and some weather works out for you. On my hunt last year all the stars lined up for weather but it did not show the big bucks like we thought or other people thought for that matter. Was there for five full days and did not see one legitimate 4x4 except for the one my buddy and I helped drag out opening Sunday afternoon. All 4x3 and smaller. Everyone was lost for words on where they were at. I know of one tag that made into tag soup. That individual stayed two days longer than us and experienced more sever weather the next Saturday after opening Saturday. From his standpoint it was almost like it was getting worse. Again, I hope the best for you. Maybe some deer moved into the zone from some surrounding zones.

How well can you hike? I have a couple spots that I am sure will hold a good buck or two but you will have to earn it. Not many great bucks left in there. In fact not many good bucks left in there that are easy to get to

Looking forward to hunting G3 myself this coming month. Planning on doing a hike this first weekend into some backcountry spots to see what might be lurking in there. More of a scouting mission than anything. I’ll return later in the season for a longer stent to really pick the zone apart. Looks like there are a couple others in this forum that have the same tag. Hopefully we can document our hunts for everyone else to enjoy.

Yes, I enjoy all documented hunts for sure.

Of note if I read the harvest reports correctly from last year, there were 10 four point deer taken and 4 bucks taken with five points or better? We could have had 14 reports? But we did not.

And harvest reports tell little about spreads and other characteristics!

I do not have a tag, but was to travel to the G3 area this week, but suspect I will not make it though.

Best of luck to all hunters!

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I know most or a lot of the deer will be down but I am not sure if those older bucks will chase those does down if they don't have to yet, you know? I leave on Thursday morning and will be out scouting by 3 pm hopefully. I have until the 12th if need be. I will find something I like I am sure.
Are you going guided on your hunt or diy?

Good luck wizard and highsierra hopefully you report back with what you see and your success

The sage brush can hide many treasures, even lava tubes! I’m sure it’ll be fun. Defiantly seen some kings looking over the land from some of the nasty ridges

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom