Weatherby Problems

chewyman55

Gents, I and several friends shoot the Weatherby Mark V. Love the accuracy and the crisp triggers. BUT, we have noticed that the factory bluing is junk and even the lacquer on the stocks has a tendency to crack. By no means are these guns not being cared for. Anyone dealt with this issue? Dealt with their service department? Guessing it'll be something that the factory won't hear so let me ask you...

1. What process do I need to get done in order to have a LASTING bluing?

2. Anywhere/anyone in Utah/Wyoming you would recommend?

Thanks!

>Thanks, an amateur with a bottle
>of Birchwood Casey could do
>better than the original.

:)

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Weatherby's service has been fantastic in my case, but it was on a bolt recall for a Vanguard.
My Mark V does have a little blueing issue right on the crown of the barrel, but there's a lot of flash that comes out of the barrel and i would expect it.
Even my nickel plated Mark V "Alaskan" has a cooked barrel on the end.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I have had great service from Weatherby and their custom shop.I inherited a 1979 Mark V .300WBY which I sent in for a new stock and blueingstock. No problems for me. JB

JB
How much did it set you back for the new stock and the blueing? I also inherited a .300 weatherby only mine is a 68 model.
Jason

I would spend a little extra and have Ceracote put on all of the metal parts instead of bluing. I had Wayne York (541-278-4177) of Oregonsmithing do my Weatherby. He also built me a custom stock. It makes a pretty indesctructable and very light weapon and it looks fantastic!

4b4bcada6cc9836c.jpg

+1 on the cerakote. The weatherby deluxe stocks have always had a problem with that hi-gloss varnish cracking and turning yellow with age. They look nice when they're new but once that varnish starts to yellow they are hideous. I'd strip the stock down and put an oil rub finish on it. Or toss it and get a McMillan or B&C synthetic stock.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom