Weatherby Ultra Lightweight

elkhuntr

Does anyone own one of these or been around one? How is the accuracy? I was thinking about buying one in a 300 Roy. If I dont do this I might have a lightweight rifle built. What gunsmith can build a lightweight rifle and have it shoot well?
Thanks, Elkhuntr

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-10 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]HunterHarry has one, I remember it cuz he shot his big brownie with it.

Bansner and Rifles inc. build fine lightweight rifles, as does Melvin Forbes at NULA, and a plethora of others, but those are a few of the most popular.

I've owned two of them, one shot great and the other was nothing to brag about. I prefer the Kimber Montana for a out of the box rifle myself, the bad press Kimber gets around here is totally the opposite of what the 10 or so Kimbers I've shot or seen bench shot deserve.

Like Reddog says Lex ( Rifles Inc ) builds a great lightweight, for the money the lightest and the best on the market. if you have a little more extra cash the Bansner Sheep Hunter is tops in my opinion, but it's kind of hard to justify the price over Lexs' rifle. I can go on for hours ( and have ) about how much I like the rifles these guys build, I've owned about every rifle there is over the years and for the last 10 years I've hunted almost exclusivly with them ( 270 WBY and 300 Win Mag ) and have never looked back. try one, there's no substitute for a quality sub moa rifle that wieghs from 5 1/2 to 7 lbs field ready.

Yep,
I have had one for a number of years.
I won it at a Safari Club banquet.
Very comfortable to pack in the mountains.
MUCH better than the Accumark as far as pack-ability.
The tightest grouping factory loads I've ran through it were the 200 gr partitions that I shot my big bear with.

If you are going to hunt elk moose or the big bears the .300 is a great choice.
I've shot lots of stuff with mine, but if I were going to hunt deer & antelope primarily, I'd opt for the ultralight chambered in .257 WBY, or better yet the Remington 700 CDL stainless .257 WBY and toss the wood stock in favor of a McMillan.
I just sighted in my Vanguard in .257 & am falling in love with the caliber.
Very mild recoil, as flat shooting as you can get and very destructive, all the makings for a great deer antelope rifle.
The only b*tch is the cost of factory ammo.
Strong hunch I'll get back into loading.

Thanks everyone. I already have 2 257 Roys and one accumark in a 300 Roy but was intrigued by the ultra light. What does your 300 group at 100? Have you ran any reloads down it?
Elkhuntr

I have a 257 in the ultralight and a 300 in the Accumark. For my whitetail hunting at home, the 257 almost always gets pulled out of the safe first. I love the ultralight. It is my favorite rifle I've owned.

I was hooked on a .300 in the ultralight for a long time..Everything I read about it, was exactly what has been posted here. I've heard a better lightweight rifle can be built by the aforementioned companies, and the skinny tube can make follow up shots a bit whippy.

Maybe one day I'll have one; but $1600 + scope + $60/box of ammo is pretty steep for me...especially if it might not be a tack driver.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I've been a reader for years, but have never posted. Guess I like the shadows. Anyway, this post spurred my interest. I've got two SBGM's. Essentially, the new Ultralight. One is a 270 Win. Best rifle I've ever owned. Light, past, accurate. Second is a 300 Roy. Love the gun, but haven't spent as much time with it. Great run, but it does buck. 26 inch pipe is a little long for packing and swinging, but does use all of the 300's potential. I can't complain about either gun. For the hunting I do (Blacktail, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Speed goat, elk) these two guns do it all well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom