WEATHERBY VANGUARD RIFLES???

MULEYSTALKER

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-04 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p]I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A WEATHERBY VANGUARD RIFLE AND IF IT IS A GOOD QUALITY GUN. I'M LOOKING INTO BUYING ONE AT A LOCAL STORE 350.00 OR THEY OFFERED ME TWO OF THEM FOR 600.00 THEY HAVE IT IN 270 WIN., 300 WEATHERBY MAG, 30-06 SPRG., AND .243. I HELD ONE AND LOOKED AT IT AND THOUGHT IT WAS A NICE RIFLE I REALLY LIKED THE FEEL OF THE STOCK. I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ONE AND IF IT IS A GOOD RIFLE. I HAVE HEARD THEY COMPARE TO SAVAGE RIFLES AND PERSONALLY I DONT THINK MUCH OF SAVAGE RIFLES. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO THANKS,

MULEYSTALKER

Savages are good guns, from what I've read, they shoot well and are durable.

The Vanguards are also carried by Walmart. It sounds like that shop is giving you a better deal though.

They are not made by Weatherby. They are farmed out to somebody, I want to say in Japan. But, don't hold me to that. BTW, Japan is good, they make the best electronics, cars (as much as we hate to admit it), cameras and a whole bunch of stuff. Japanese stuff is well made...although most people regard Jap guns as crap.

Muleystalker;
Howa of Japan has been making the Vanguard for Weatherby. They are a very good gun and quite similar to the Rem. 700 action. In several respects, I prefer the Howa over the Rem. 700. they have a Sako style extractor hook which is better then the Remington. They also have the recoil lug as part of the action similar to Winchester, and not the flimsy recoil plate that Remington places between the barrel and the action.
I have used this action to build about 10 rifles and was very pleased with the Howa. I would go ahead and buy both rifles for the 600 amount, I am sure you will be pleased in the long run, and you are getting a bargain price.
RELH

I had the Vanguard in .300 WBY and had a brake put on it. That was a great shooting gun. Sorry I sold it. I did get a Howa action in .300 WSM recently and that is a nice shooter too. Have not heard of anything negative about Howa. Go for it.

My brother shoots a vanguard in .270. I've shot about 50 rounds thru his rifle and it is a very good gun. I was impressed with the smoothness of the action.
-Raptor

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom