Weatherby wool series

R

Ridge_Runner

I am looking into the line of weatherby wool pants for hunting deer during the rifle seasons in the west and it looks as if they have come out with a midweight range in there clothing. I think this would be suited for the time of year that the deer seasons take place and if more warmth was needed I could add to it by underlayering. What is your thoughts on this gear? Is it worth the extra money from the Columbia range? I do like the added liner for wet weather and also the washing capabilities. To me it sounds like the right stuff. Midweight range is from 40-70 degrees and heavyweight range is from 0-40 degrees. Any of you use this line? Your thoughts grately appreciated in advance.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner
"Now Pilgrim,you sure you can skin griz"

Gene,

I was just there at their place in Atascadero earlier this month but was looking at their hats. The one I was interested in will not be in till July so they could not help me in that respect.
I did look but did not try on the jackets/coats, they look good but can't say how they would compair to the others on the market like KOM or Sleeping Indian, I do have the Cabela's Pendleton brand of Outfitter jacket and Alaskan shirt they with an undergarmet, I can get pretty warm while wearing all of this clothing.
Brian

Thanks brian... I am just shopping at the moment and thought that it would be some good gear to add to the collection. Also planning a bit ahead for future hunts. I like the quietness of the wool plus the warming factory even when it gets wet. I don't like to wear a lot of layers so thought it would be good with perhaps adding thermals when the temp does drop. Are you saying that it would be to warm?

Happy trails
Ridge Runner

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-04 AT 10:33PM (MST)[p]Gene,
Yea, that wool is heavy on one of their coats, think it said 28oz and unless you were up in Alaska, Canada or northern US during the real cold weather, it would be warm with thermo's and heavy shirt.
I would probably go for the "bib's" if I were going to get some if they have them. They do have the pants. Have you got their Catalog 2004?
If not, go to their website: www.weatherby.com and request a 2004 Catalog and check out all of their items and there will be a price catalog with it also.
KOM, aka King Of The Mountain had a "railroader" wool cap and it has a crown that is reversible to blaze orange, to meet some states requirements. It comes in Autumn Brown or Blowdown.

Good luck on your decisions.

Brian

RR,
I have the Weatherby wool in the Jacket & Cargo Pants. I used them last year in the Yukon for a late September combo hunt. The jacket might be midrange but the cargo pants are very much suited for freezing conditions.
The weather during my hunt was unseasonably cold, even for the Yukon. With Snow & Wind every day. The temperature is confusing for me with the C verse F thing but I do know the rivers were freezing over, which complicated the hunt.
The Weatherby jacket(short)was used mainly in base camp but the cargo pants with suspenders were worn every day. My guide was envious of my pants and often commented on the the look(YES they are good lookin as well)& comfort. I was always dry & warm.
I highly recomend the Weatherby wool, I also was attracted to the weatherliner & wash ability.
It is quality clothing from the zippers, to elbows, to knees, to pockets, to the cuffs & waistbands.
Cabelas also has a line out that looks identical to the Weatherby line & uses dry plus in its liner, maybe made by the same manufacture?
Good luck,
Claude

Guys... thanks for the input. I have been to there site and they have come out with the midweight stuff which is 14oz instead of the heaveyweight 28oz material. I think this would be perfect for what I need. I am waiting to hear back from Cabela's to see if I can order the midweight through them as they only advertise the heavyweight which I think may be a bit overkill for my needs at the moment. I would probably go with the Pants and perhaps the midweight shirt to start with as I do wear Pendelton shirts as a under garment. Sounds like good gear and thanks.

Happy trails
Ridge Runner

I don't have the Weatherby pants but I hae two different kinds of wool pants. I live in Northern Alberta and hunt in Nov, It can get very cold, as cold as -25 celsius which is about -20 farenheit. I have columbia gallatin wool pants, they are very warm and have padded kness and seat and two pairs of Codet wool pants, both kinds are 28 oz. I prefer the codets despite being less than half the price of the columbia's. the col feel like you are wearing a diaper because of padded rump. I almost never wear them as a result. the codets are grwat, they can be bought from Wholesale sports in calgary and edmonton for about $60 cdn www.wholesalesports.com.
Highly recommends them.

Hey thanks for the info. I will go with the weatherby as they are making the pants out of 14oz material instead of the 28oz also. I think with a layer of thermals this will do fine for the cold that I should encounter.I have a parka already but not wool but will go with the vest for a layering over the top of my pendelton wool shirt. Man I'm sweating already! Hehehe

Thanks

Happy trails
Ridge Runner

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom