Weiser River Zone Idaho

mattnduke

Hi Guys,

Anyone familiar with this area? Spent the last few days in it with a couple of friends from Idaho. I don't have a tag, both my buddies do. Put quite a few miles on the boots as well as hours glassing with nothing to show but about 20 muley does. Spent one day near Council and another outside of Cambridge. Resting tomorrow and hitting it hard next week. Anyone familiar and willing to help share strategy?

Thanks in advance!

Will definitely be watching this site much more going forward. I've focused mainly on Arizona Coues deer and Midwest whitetail over the last few years, mainly watching and helping on www.coueswhitetail.com and a few Arizona Facebook hunting forums. I've been fortunate to harvest a some great bucks over the last few years, so my attention is starting to turn to mule deer and elk. Really loving the big country that Idaho offers. Spent the day yesterday in Advent Gulch, but didn't head all the way to Cuddy. My buddy that I hunted with in the Midwest is now retired to Boise, so I plan on visiting him a few times a year to learn some new country.

Now that I've told you my life story, have any advice? :) I'm wondering if I need to go deeper in to the areas I've been. I hiked around 7 miles yesterday and an ungodly amount of elevation. I found sign , but not as much as I see in Arizona in elk country. I spend a ton of time behind the glass in Arizona, was planning on applying that same tactic to Idaho. But I have a feeling the animals are mainly in the timber. Trying to figure out the best strategy. Thanks!

That area won't have nearly the numbers that you're used to . The elk are definitely hiding out right now , they've been hunted on private property since August 1st and have been hunted on public since August 30th. They're there , but glassing won't be very productive.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense. Was just reading about the seasons prior to this OTC one. Would you suggest getting deeper and slowly/quietly walking the timber in to the wind?

A can't tell you anything more than d6native so good luck to you. If you have any specific questions I'll respond to a PM. Don?t want google to know too many specifics.

After a friendly shove in the right direction, mattnduke and his friends are packing out meat and horns !

I've certainly recieved some great help from a few MM'ers , feels good to return the favor when I can .

It's nice to see some actual help being given to someone relatively new to this forum. So many times people come to this site asking for info and are completely shot to shiť by keyboard wardens of MM. Good on you D6! Hopefully the favor is returned in your coming season.

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the wolf does not perform in the circus."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom