Well, its started! Ethics are gone.

B

bucklover

There are already 4 blinds on one little seep. I know water sources are limited, but for crying out loud!!!

I guess the bright side is they didn't tear your blind down. I have heard of other people getting their blind torn down.

I don't have a blind up. It is a very good friend of mine. He starts early and even leaves a note hanging, letting people know of his intentions. He was the first one there. I helped him sit things up. Now there are cameras hanging and the works. It is just very frustrating.

LMFAO "I got a blind up first so this is my spot"

hornkiller.jpg

>It should be your spot if
>you got your blind up
>first, plain and simple.

***That would be the case if some of us found it, but that's not the way it works a good share of the time on public land in this day and age!

I'm not really complaining too hard. I knew exactly what response I would get from some. The same comments were made last year, but the crowding gets worse every year. Yes, I know it is public land and it belongs to "everyone". It's kind of like finding a nice quiet secluded spot to camp, with no one around. Then someone comes along and parks right next to you, and thinks its okay to turn up their tunes as loud as they want, half the night. I know its all legal, but it still isn't right. Go into a restaurant and just walk right up, and sit down with a group of people that are there eating. See what kind of a response you get. Some may put up with it, but most will tell you to go find your own table.

Himtn
So if I put a blind/stand in place now I should be able hunt the place in OCT all 5 days with out anyone else hogging in .

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

It is the way it is. As areas get more crowded we will all have to learn to adapt our hunting or it'll loose its pleasure. Your friend either needs to resign himself to sharing the spot or moving on. Either way, don't let it ruin the enjoyment of preparation and the hunt.

I know all about "the way it is". The sad part is, this little seep is about the size of a small kitchen table. The way it is going, there will be so many blinds surrounding it, the antelope will be practically fenced out of the water. I totally agree, that the first guy in on opening morning lays claim, but that doesn't happen. The other people just come on in, even after daylight and to anyone else be damned. And that is where the problem lies. So many people now days, have no sense of sportsmanship or manners. It's a very sad reality, but those days are gone.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-13 AT 09:49AM (MST)[p]Yep, and that's the way it is, as good old Walter Cronkite used to say when he closed the nightly news! It seems as though nowadays many people have no manners or courtesy in hunting or anything else in life and it's just the ME ME ME mentality!!!

Well, maybe everyone should only put up their blinds on the morning of their hunt, and first to the water hole should use it. Last year I took my son archery antelope hunting and was surprised. We had to search long and hard for water holes that did not have 1 to 3 blinds on them. The previous year you would only find a blind maybe on 1 out of every four water holes you scouted. The kicker was that for the week we were there hunting we only ran into 1 other hunter. He was having the same problem as us finding unclaimed water holes. I think your ethics should go both ways. Why should someone be able to put up a blind and lay claim to a water hole and then not use it.

Bill

In reference to the above, should you get to hunt the place as long as your blind is there, I can only speak for myself: I wouldn't be interested in hunting the spot if your blind is up and I would look elsewhere. As others mentioned, that's not the way it works with some other people, and public land is public land. I used to like the idea of leaving the note and also times I planned on hunting so that perhaps someone else could sit the blind when I am not there, but faith in fellow man is not the greatest these days. I usually just set up my blind and hope for the best.

I recommend looking on google earth. I've found a bunch of water and trails that I cannot see from the ground. My search for potential water holes in a new area has improved from 2 to 7. I will order those preferentially and if someone else is on #1, I'll move to #2 and so on down the line.

Sometimes you can wait for someone to move out. Last year a guy was on water I wanted to sit but he got there first. He killed his buck, pulled his blind, and I killed a buck a few days later on the same water.

HiMtn, I understand what you are saying. What I am talking about mainly is that it seems like more and more people are putting up multiple blinds. Like trying to lay claim to as many water holes as they can, and then only hunting on weekends or once in a while. Does that seem fair to everyone else? I think that is why we are starting to see multiple blinds on waterholes. My suggestion of putting up the blind the morning of your hunt is just that, a suggestion (thought). Just like who ever hikes into the bowl first or a ridge point in the morning gets to hunt it. It would be great if a note could be left on your blind and you could work with other hunters, but that usually does not happen.

Bill

Unfortunately, no. 1 needs to claim his spot, which in turn forces no. 2 to put his stand up earlier, which in turn gets no. 3 to thinking, maybe he'll just build a permanent stand and claim the spot for eternity.

The ethics were gone the instant no. 1 decided to claim a spot on public land.

My response, screw em all and actually hunt spot and stalk around the water and run interception to the water hole. Then I can move. and get the first opportunity. Of course this would be a little bit more like actually hunting instead of sitting around....

Who likes sitting all day anyways?

It is odd that in the last few years there has been this sudden surge in interest for Antelope hunting. People used to disregard them as prairie maggots, almost any rancher would let you hunt them, and it was rare to run into die hard goat hunters. Now they are being outfitted for anywhere from $1500-5000, ranches are leased by outfitters, trespass fees are hundreds of dollars, and die hard goat hunters are everywhere. Were they the last unappreciated big game species?

In dry years with limited water sources, I can see a water hole might be the place for a big goat. However, few things are funner than spot and stalk antelope. Cover some ground, glass, stalk... As fun as any hunting can get.

It won't be long and states will make it mandatory to take your blind with you when you leave. No more leaving them up for weeks at a time.

I believe in Wyoming you must take blinds/tree-stands down after the hunt is over? i could be wrong but i know the warden around here has a pile of tree stands, just waiting for the owner to pick them up...

It's too bad a few have to ruin the fun for many. It's the same way with other things, such as rampant disregard for ORV laws in many areas. Stupid people breed stupid kids, and so on down the line. There should be laws against it . . .

Maybe I'm the devils advocate, but I think that it is unethical to leave a blind up on public land and unreasonable to consider any specific spot to be yours and yours alone. If you want that kind of exclusive right, then save your money and buy your own place. Until then, don't try to lay claim on public land. While I have never tampered with any blinds or cameras, I have to shake my head sometimes with people's antics. Buy yourself a pop-up and then put it up as needed. Don't deface public lands by building some sort of contraption, then pissing on it to claim it as your own. Just my $.02.-----SS

I would love it if the USFS banned trail cameras on National Forest and especially Wilderness. I think they may already be banned in Wilderness but the USFS around here (Cody) won't enforce the law. It would require them to get out of the office. One of the many outfitters (BB) likes to put a trail camera in a Wilderness Area on a migration trail for deer.

Yes. Second only to mountain sheep, according to Jack O'Connor.

I have met Wyoming ranchers who told me they only shoot antelope to feed to their dogs.

I hold them in higher esteem.

What's the law in Wyoming for ground blinds?

I was told that on BLM ground you could only leave a blind for 14 days before it has to be removed. I was also told on state land you must set it up when you get there and take it down when you go.

Obviously I'm mistaken if there are already that many blinds set up a month before the hunt starts.

I think it is funny that someone would think they could put up a blind a month early with a note on when he will hunt his blind. It is like trying to reserve a camping spot. Maybe I will bring a sandwich board next time I go hunting to post my intentions of where and when I will be hunting. Is it ethical to try and claim your hunting spot weeks before the hunt starts?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-13 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]>What's the law in Wyoming for
>ground blinds?
>
>I was told that on BLM
>ground you could only leave
>a blind for 14 days
>before it has to be
>removed. I was also told
>on state land you must
>set it up when you
>get there and take it
>down when you go.
>
>Obviously I'm mistaken if there are
>already that many blinds set
>up a month before the
>hunt starts.

***Who told you that, as I've never heard of anything like that? In fact, I've been putting up a couple popup blinds in a piece of state land the last few years and leaving them up for as long as I'm out there. This year I plan on putting them up the third week of September and not taking them down until the end of October. The only reason I put them up is to have a place to get out of bad weather if anything hits and if anybody wants to use them they are welcome to do so. However, where I have them I've never seen anyone other than the couple people I hunt with.

Not much different than the guys who set up duck blinds and they've been doing it for years. 8 - 10 years ago some guys built a blind on the river. I set up 50 yards above that blind one time and they come in an hour after I set up. I asked them if they'd hunt somewhere else. They said this is our blind. Next time they came in, I'm sure they were surprised to see the land had been reclaimed. No use for jerks thinking they own public land...

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-13
>AT 08:05?PM (MST)

>
>>What's the law in Wyoming for
>>ground blinds?
>>
>>I was told that on BLM
>>ground you could only leave
>>a blind for 14 days
>>before it has to be
>>removed. I was also told
>>on state land you must
>>set it up when you
>>get there and take it
>>down when you go.
>>
>>Obviously I'm mistaken if there are
>>already that many blinds set
>>up a month before the
>>hunt starts.
>
>
>***Who told you that, as I've
>never heard of anything like
>that? In fact, I've
>been putting up a couple
>popup blinds in a piece
>of state land the last
>few years and leaving them
>up for as long as
>I'm out there. This
>year I plan on putting
>them up the third week
>of September and not taking
>them down until the end
>of October. The only
>reason I put them up
>is to have a place
>to get out of bad
>weather if anything hits and
>if anybody wants to use
>them they are welcome to
>do so. However, where
>I have them I've never
>seen anyone other than the
>couple people I hunt with.
>

The biologist for area 67.

I spent a couple days scouting already and have found a few water holes that I really want to hunt. It will be pretty frustrating to show up and find out I was following the rules (if correct) and nobody else is.

>Not much different than the guys
>who set up duck blinds
>and they've been doing it
>for years. 8 -
>10 years ago some guys
>built a blind on the
>river. I set up
>50 yards above that blind
>one time and they come
>in an hour after I
>set up. I asked
>them if they'd hunt somewhere
>else. They said this
>is our blind. Next
>time they came in, I'm
>sure they were surprised to
>see the land had been
>reclaimed. No use for
>jerks thinking they own public
>land...
>

***Yea, they're in the wrong, but what if they know the vehicle you drive by chance and when you're there one day you come back and find that they "reclaimed" it! Best to just move on and not deal with people like that because you have no idea what they are capable of doing!

I agree that the ethics are about gone for the most part.

For starters, any asshat that is putting up blinds with the limited water sources a full month before the season needs to adjust their thinking. Having 4 blinds on limited water, a month prior to the season, is ridiculous.

Since I've lived in Wyoming, I've never seen the central portion of Wyoming this dry. It would make sense to me to leave the pronghorns alone, leave their limited water alone, until a few days prior to the season. With the water that limited, they're going to come into the water, there is NO need to be using the excuse of "the antelope need to get used to the blind". IME, I've had the best opportunities by putting up a blind the evening before I intend to hunt.

Even more ridiculous is the childish, selfish, behavior being displayed...ripping apart adjacent blinds, putting 4 blinds on every water hole, etc.

I've shared many duck blinds with fellow duck hunters in the past. Its much easier to cooperate, and work together, rather than "ask" another hunter to "leave" public lands.

All I can say is hunters better get this chit figured out or there will be laws enacted.

Its largely up to us how we conduct ourselves, at least for now. Keep up the bullchit and it will be "solved" for you via regulations, laws, etc.

IMO, we should also be asking how our decisions are impacting the resource....rather than worrying about claiming a waterhole a month and half before opening day.

>I agree that the ethics are
>about gone for the most
>part.
>
>For starters, any asshat that is
>putting up blinds with the
>limited water sources a full
>month before the season needs
>to adjust their thinking. Having
>4 blinds on limited water,
>a month prior to the
>season, is ridiculous.
>
>Since I've lived in Wyoming, I've
>never seen the central portion
>of Wyoming this dry. It
>would make sense to me
>to leave the pronghorns alone,
>leave their limited water alone,
>until a few days prior
>to the season. With the
>water that limited, they're going
>to come into the water,
>there is NO need to
>be using the excuse of
>"the antelope need to get
>used to the blind". IME,
>I've had the best opportunities
>by putting up a blind
>the evening before I intend
>to hunt.
>
>Even more ridiculous is the childish,
>selfish, behavior being displayed...ripping apart
>adjacent blinds, putting 4 blinds
>on every water hole, etc.
>
>
>I've shared many duck blinds with
>fellow duck hunters in the
>past. Its much easier to
>cooperate, and work together, rather
>than "ask" another hunter to
>"leave" public lands.
>
>All I can say is hunters
>better get this chit figured
>out or there will be
>laws enacted.
>
>Its largely up to us how
>we conduct ourselves, at least
>for now. Keep up the
>bullchit and it will be
>"solved" for you via regulations,
>laws, etc.
>
>IMO, we should also be asking
>how our decisions are impacting
>the resource....rather than worrying about
>claiming a waterhole a month
>and half before opening day.
>
>
>

I agree Buzz this will get out of hand if the hunters just don't fix it them selves. If my blind is out I will close by the night before and or will be sitting in it. There is no reason to put it out a month ahead.
It's funny how many of these posts I have read that my game cam/blind was here so it's mine! Funny how this chit can get out of control.

Sounds like you guys need to learn the art of the midnight bonfire. Quick duck blind conflict resolution strategy on public water.

Blinds erected on public land, be it temporary or permanent, may be used by the first hunter to arrive there for the day until they leave, it doesn't matter who put it up. If you left it out there, you left it out there for everyone else to use.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom