Well, we did it!

utahbigbull

Made the leap getting my first bow. Wound up getting a Bowtech Captain, trophy ridge 5 pin, rip cord drop away rest. Going to try shooting Easton Axis 340 FMJ's cut to 31" and 125 gr. tips. Being new to the bow world, I hope this setup will work. What do you guys think? Still need the quiver and a stabalizer (Damn this stuff adds up quick). Now I just need to get shooting and break the bow and myself in. Any pointers would be appreciated.
800dscn1124.jpg

Aah, you went to the dark side. I thought we had decided that you needed a Mathews. Oh well, I think you did just fine with that bow. Did you end up buying it at a local shop? If so I would expect that they would offer some lessons for a new shooter to get you off on the right foot. Its important to learn correct form from the beginning because its hard to change poor form later on. I have had several Trophy Ridge sights, and Ripcord rests, I think you did just right. For your stabilizer and quiver I would go on ebay and save some money, they are pretty easy to put on yourself. If you want a good one piece quiver the Sof-lock runs about $35 and works great, a Sims S-coil or similar stabilizer will do just fine for under $20.
Best advice I would give you is shoot every day. Even if you can only get 5 or 6 shots in at 20 yards, make them count by concentrating on form. Get to where you have to shoot at a different spot every time to avoid breaking your arrows. But feel confident at 20 before you move back to 30, then 40 and so on. There is no hurry to start shooting long range, you have a few months before the season starts. Good luck and I hope to see a buck posted next to your grinning mug in a few months.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-11 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the help grizz. I was going to get the Mission but for $200 less, I thought the bowtech was a quality bow a bit more affordable. The shop was very helpful last night and gave me a lot of pointers and help for sure. Now I just have to finish letting the epoxy set on the eastons for the 24 hours. We should be out tonight letting some loose.

You got a great deal if it was $200 less than a Mission you did get a good deal, you saved some money for needed for other gear for the bow (stabilizer, broadheads, etc.) Like grizz said shot everyday and focus on the best form for the best quality shot. Also try to make it like that is the only arrow you are going to get to shoot, more often than not when bowhunting you only get one shot, so do the make the shot count drill. Even if you have to draw and then not shoot and letdown, it is still sometimes the best shot you can make. If it doesn't feel right, letdown and try again. Have a good time shooting and welcome to the archery brotherhood.
WVBOWAK

Honestly I think that is a better bow than the mission and if you got it for twohundy less then good for you. Way to be smart with your shopping dollars.

Thanks guys. Just got in from taking it on her maiden voyage. I got it sighted in at 20, then 30, and 40 putting 100+ arrows through her. I am getting about 2-3 inch groups at 40 (the times I know I am getting a good feeling shot). Had a few strays lol but I know it was my form or jerking and shaking. Is that diecent for a newby or should I be doing better? 20-30 yards I am getting 1-2". I am hoping it is a matter of getting the muscles for shooting developed and shooting enough repetition to bring that 40 yard group in?

Thanks HuntinFool, I am finding out how vital the release is. About half of my shots are 5-6" groupings but I know they are going to be off as soon as I release. The other half are sticking within inches of the target and some will be damn near Robin Hooding the previous arrow and they feel good from the release. Any tips on keeping steady to get the good release? I can not pin down what is changing in form as to why some go off so good and others I just sense they are bad before I pull the release and are sticking low and to the right.

Congrats and welcome to bowhunting, sounds like..(low and right) you might be dropping you bow hand at the release, easy to do, trying to peak at the shot before it hits.
Like said above, try and really get good form down, and all the mechanics..bad habits can be tough to brake,..sounds like your already grouping pretty good! try to shoot with a relaxed grip on the bow also, as not to torque it at the shot.Have Fun!
Mike

Slick looking piece! stiff and nice, shot one last week! sounds like your happy. Thats what counts!

Another inexpensive item I would recommend is a wrist sling. It will help you relax your grip IMO. Sounds like your doing very well. Remember after a few hundred shots to take the bow back to the pro shop and have them retune. Most strings stretch a bit.

Sounds like you are punching the trigger instead of pulling through it. You need to have a surprise release, lots of opinions out there on how to do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom