west desert vernon tag

S

shootinfool

Well gentlemen, I finally drew a tag for the west desert vernon unit this year. I know that this unit has received alot of attention from the media lately due to the poaching cases and hear alot of people say how much this has brought down the quality of the deer on this unit, but i still think there are some deer left on the unit. I am wondering if any of you can offer up some help as to where to start looking. I also would like some imput on what kind of size i can expect to find here. I am willing to do hike as far as it takes and am interested to hear any imput I can. Also could use some tips on great campsites or even a place to pull some dinner out of a river or lake if you know of any. You can pm me if you want to also. Look forward to your help getting started and the time I will spend this year with this tag.

Which tag do you have? I had an archery tag out there last year and did pretty well. You can expect to see A LOT of 18-22" 3x3 and 4x4's. Not "big" bucks but just decent younger 3 year olds. With that being said, my tooth data from the state says my buck was 9 years old. I figured 6-7 but didn't expect 9. No matter which season you drew there's absolutely no way I would pass up anything 165" or bigger. Also I don't think the recent poaching case will affect the unit very much at all. There's tons of bucks out there and with 18 or whatever poached, it will have little effect at least this year on the hunting. Good luck!

thanks for the reply. If you could pm me with the areas you hunted or any area that you saw that had primise I would really apreciate it. Just looking for a place to start the scouting at. thanks again.

I had a tag last year. I was to picky. Get off yer wheeler and put some boot leather in. If it doesn't matter on size u shouldn't have a prob. If it does matter odds r u need slot of scouting cause there's plenty of people that do and also run a business there as well. There r a few I'm sure but people guard them. I wish u well I don't know how to pm so I can't say to much. I do have some useful info.

lotsahuntn,

If you get the pm thing figured out i would love to hear any advise you have and any locations that produced for you. I do intend to be pretty picky about what i shoot and do plan to do a lot of scouting and also dont plan on spending too much time on the wheelers. Thanks for any help you can offer.

My oldest daughter drew a Vernon rifle tag and I plan to start scouting the heck out of it in about three weeks. She was in a serious car accident in May 2008 and mangled her ankle, which required 15 pins and screws and two metal plates to hold it together. She is limited in how far she can walk and can't stand for long periods of time, but I'm going to do my best to find her a decent buck. If I have to carry her on my back, I'll do it!

Well I've tried in the help box but no luck. How do I pm? I'd like to help u for sure. I just started this account last night so I'm uneducated on this.

on the top of the individuals post there are some icons. the first is to send an email and the second is to send a PM to that individual person. you have to be logged in and then click it and send your message.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-09 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]Love the desert deer. You all will see plenty of deer shoot staight and have fun.

Gotcha. Don't count on seeing many deer in October where you're seeing them now. I sent a couple guys to some areas that were full of deer during the archery hunt and they hardly saw any deer. IMO the muzzy tag is the best tag to have. I would say just scout as much as you possibly can come mid September and early October and just try and see where they're coming off the mountain to. The southern end of the unit might be your best bet during the rifle hunt.

good to know. Thanks for the information and i will keep it in mind come october. Thanks guys.

Hey dont listen to powellpounder he does not know what he is talking about. Hey just kidding mark see you on thursday.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom