West Hills CWMU

slcmuley

Has anybody hunted the West Hills CWMU in the last few years? I drew a tag and will be hunting 11/1-11/5.
I've heard that a 160 buck is the top end on the 22,000 acre ranch located west of Tremonton. I would be happy with a 140+ buck.
Advice or any comments with past experiences would be great!

I went with a friend who drew that tag last year.
Saw a few bucks killed off that CWMU during the hunt.

I would tell you that it just depends on circumstances.
There are some great deer in the area.

Lots of the bucks that live in the valley farm fields will move up on the hill once the farmers cut the corn stalks and plow under the fields.

You won't get to scout it, look on google earth. There is a billion roads going all over the place up there.

If you find my thermos let me know.

J and J outfitters runs the hunts on that property.
http://www.jandjoutfitters.com

Last year there were just a couple bucks showing any rutting behavior during the hunt.

Hopefully it gets cold and nasty for you. Hopefully all the farmers cut their fields and the deer go up to the hill rather than to the river bottoms.

Spend a little time with your spotter looking from the public land frontage roads.
Check out the size deer hanging around the unit.
That ought to give you an idea of what to expect.

You can glass a lot of that units perimeter if you use the frontage roads along I-15 and use whites valley.

The deer did not tend to move a lot. Last year anyways.
The buck my buddy shot, lived in the same canon for three days.
We just stopped in and made sure he was still there every day.

Then, after not being able to find a bigger one, he decided to go shoot that one.

Very open country with loads of canyons.

Thanks for the replies.

Shedy- what time of year did you guys hunt?
What do you mean by a couple deer taken during your hunt? How many hunters were on the property with you guys?
What size were the bucks taken?
Can you suggest any particular elevation or part of the property?

Sorry, just nailed you with a ton of questions. Your repose was great, details, never enough details.

Ford- PM returned

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-14 AT 01:29PM (MST)[p]We hunted the same time of year you are going to.
The late hunt.

If I remember correctly, there were 4 draw tags on that unit.
During our hunt, the guides shot one three point on the first day.
One of the state draw hunters shot a 3X4 on the first day.
We shot a 3X4 on the third day.
the other state hunters that we saw had not harvested a deer by the time we left.

The property is broken up as far as access goes.

The chunk that is on the south end has access below the B on the mountain.
But, the roads don't go into the main unit from there.

The main unit is accessible from a few places on the east side. You will be shown this when you meet the guide from Jand J to show the the property boundaries.

The north east chunk up by the nucor plant has its own access.

You will find deer from the top to the bottom of the property.
There is a lot of deer on the grounds.

I have a buddy who's family owns the ground in the bottom of whites valley.
I can go in there all summer and watch 200 deer, some good bucks.
Cheaters, mass, tall, typicals, whatever.
As soon as they harvest the fields, the deer have no reason to stay and they move up into the hills.

Lost of the local guys who kill good bucks up there watch the bucks in the fields.
Once the corn is cut, the bucks have to go somewhere else to hide.

I work with a guy who shot a nice 28 inch typical 4 point two years ago.
Out of the field below your unit. Archery hunt.
There was a couple guys watching him that had been waiting for them to cut the fields so they could get at that buck up on the hill.
It had a nice tall, heavy 4 point with extras with it.

Last year, there was a few good bucks in a corn field that never got cut until end of november, the deer never left it.

There are lots of bucks that live on the unit.
Don't get me wrong.
I am only bringing up the other stuff as a means for you to be able to get an idea of what type of deer are around.
Also, it will show you that the deer use the entire elevation range.
There are deer in the low land stuff, deer on top, deer in the draws and canyons.

We looked at quite a few deer on my buddies hunt.

You will have a good time.
We got snowed on, so be prepared.

Get ready to glass.
I would have a plan.
Morning and evening you will see lots of deer.
Make a plan to glass different areas at those times.
If you see a buck you like, go for it.

I will try and put together a little map for you.
highlight some areas for you to look.

Check your pms

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's going to be fun. I hope it snows.
I will keep a sharp lookout for one Robb.

I can't speak for West Hills but I was on the Summit Point last year and it wasn't what we thought it would be. Too many cats after a snow storm we saw more cat tracks than deer and the one deer track we saw had a cat hot on it's trail. There are some real good deer in the area just not what it used to be. I believe that the Summit Point had tags left over after the draw if that tells you anything.

Hunt starts in 3 weeks and I'm getting excited. Hope the weather cools off a bit. It seems like this October is above average on the thermometer..

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom