Western Oregon Trail Cam pictures

3fletch

4865bb2053e481af.jpg

4865bb4354645ed3.jpg

4865bb5d54ac05d8.jpg

4865bb7a553c657f.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4865baa851dc6a12
4865bc705acfc525.jpg

Just a few of the 6 or 7 different bulls that have been coming in...

Notice the bat that is flying in front of the bull in the last picture....

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

oh man, nice pics. Heathly looking rosies too. Where at in western oregon are you located. Im located near Molalla.

I am in the Medford area. There are a few very nice bulls coming in. I hope they hold this pattern until season opens, but that is still 2 months off.

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

Nice Pics. What trailcam are you using? Im goin to buy a trailcam soon but there are a million of them out there. Thanks for the pics.

Dave

We have 5 different ones. I like them all but they can get spendy. I would recommend the Wildview cameras as they are less expensive and they work quite well. These pictures are from a Wildview. The stealth cam we have takes better pictures.

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 12:16PM (MST)[p]whats the attraction in the depression, water or salt?...
I live in white city, I have seen some elk around here also up around Lake Crk...

That my friend is known as a natural mineral lick. They are hard to find but when you do you are in a special spot. I have found around 6 or 7 of them. Several in eastern Oregon and the rest over here in the west. I found one up in the wilderness that is the size of a house.

Here are some more photos. Ignore the date and time, I forgot to reset the camera.

486ad3886815352b.jpg

486ad3b0691a7087.jpg

486ad3e46cca6c9c.jpg

Aim small miss small!!!!!

>That my friend is known as
>a natural mineral lick.
>They are hard to find
>but when you do you
>are in a special spot.
> I have found around
>6 or 7 of them.
> Several in eastern Oregon
>and the rest over here
>in the west. I
>found one up in the
>wilderness that is the size
>of a house.
>
>Here are some more photos.
>Ignore the date and time,
>I forgot to reset the
>camera.
>
>
>
486ad3886815352b.jpg

>
>
486ad3b0691a7087.jpg

>
>
486ad3e46cca6c9c.jpg

>
>
>Aim small miss small!!!!!

well if you need any help packen out, just let me know..LOL

Believe it or not your not the first to offer to help pack out.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-08 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]Armone here a couple pics of my cross bucks and my first 6

487f84081dd7902e.jpg

487f84201e1c8c93.jpg

Wow that one with you in the picture is a real studd Looks like 180 range. Nothing wrong with any of yours. We may have to compare some notes from time to time. Your NT cross looks like an early season cape, must have been a California rifle hunt... Just guessing...

Good geuss, the rifle season started on Sept 18th back in 97, i hunted him during the bow season but could never seal the deal so opening morn of the rifle he was mine, 28 3/4" wide.

the other buck came from west of the aggate flats area back in 93, so its been awhile since i've taken any brutes.......

my trigger finger is itchin, you gotta pass up alot of bucks to harvest big ones and these days it takes years...

I hear you on passing up small ones to get to the big ones. My family has been real fortunate to take some big Blacktails. My dad has 10 that will go way up in the book. Two are in the Oregon book at #5 and #6 NT and one is #5 typical when entered all are archery. My dads Cousin has the #1 PY blacktail of all time... I have been fortunate also and have 3 bulls that make the book and around 10 deer all archery and most are Blacktails...

impressive chit!

I've hunted some monsters below the flats waiting for a clean shot, only to get away in the end, walked into the monument last season never saw a shooter doesn't mean that he wasn't there, i may be slipping in my old age..?.

If you want to see some bucks this time of year get up high around the lakes (Hyatt and Howard) there up there to stay out of the heat. I would bet there would not be too many big guys around the monument until mid November...

Manny: For the last 8-10 years I have been hunting harder and I believe smarter that I have in the past and yet I just can't seem to catch up with one of the big guys I see from time to time. Most of my good animals came in the early 90's and my dads all came from the 80's. We are definitely seeing a decrease in the older bucks and I blame it on the cougars. I have found several trophy bucks that I cannot confirm are cougar kills but I believe they are. Every year I see one or two of those really big guys but I just cannot close the deal. I am really after a 150+ blacktail and there are some out there but....there is many a slip between a cup and a lip....

Your right man, as I said, I used to guide for about 11 years, the flats was my stomping grounds since I was 13, and I gotta tell yah, when I saw more kats then mature bucks I knew I had to quite guiding.

I found a lion kill last season, a mature buck at that 150?s, what was left of his body was covered with tree limbs and stuff.

My nephew use tah trap on the flats back in the early 80's and he would trap a big cat bout one a week, couldn't hold 'em of course but they've been populating from Cali. Since they haven't hunted them since the 60's and needing more territory they migrated up here, its sad for me cause i remember seeing even elk on the flats in winter, no more of that either.

If I were to make a guess, I would say were bout @ 30% of what we had just 10 years ago, but I think with this selective logging and not clear cutting anymore has hurt ?em a bit also.

The timing seems to be right about when the tree huggers were crying about the spotted owl (which was another lie on their part, fruit growers proved that) ?

Yep... Pretty close to 1/3 of the animals we use to see. I will say that the Elk population is holding its own but the Blacktails are on the decline. I think we have a bigger problem with cats than even we believe...

The big Five is turning into a good bull. I also have some decent blacktails coming in.
4882aa7548b4aaae.jpg

4882aac34c8bc8a6.jpg

So if you don't mind me asking, are these bulls in the southern half of Oregon?

Oregonbowhunter: Yes it is in the southern part. My brother and I have 5 cameras out and are searching for more spots all the time. I just wish I had more time to search. In 7 days I had 457 pictures on this one camera.

To get there you will have to turn on the gravel road after the big Cedar and then stop at the first bend in the road. Head due north on foot for 1/2 mile then turn to the left on the old skid row. When the trail ends turn to the right and travel another 1/4 mile look around and you will see it.

It takes a lot of time and miles traveled to find spots like this one. I have been looking for them for as long as I can remember and when I find one its very exciting.

We found another spot last weekend and it was all we thought about all week. We couldn't wait to check our cameras. We were not disappointed, the new spot had 3 different bulls coming in and several good bucks. We also realize there is a big difference between getting photos of these animals and actually getting an arrow in one.....

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-08 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]

just goes to show your never to old to learn new tricks, me that is, I never paid much attention to natural mineral licks...

not any more.....

Well they are still coming in but not nearly as much as they were. I have had some people come through also so they may be pushing the animals out of the country.

4898f6ba7ba7dc64.jpg

4898f6e07cf7b6c8.jpg

4898f7077dfa9d6d.jpg

4898f7ad0519ba78.jpg

I tried to be as stealthy as I could, but, sorry I didn't mean to run 'em off.......Tee-Hee....

I figured that was you.... Well our other two spots are realy looking good. So far no one has ventured into them yet. We only have about 3 more weeks before its on!!!!

Well opening weekend was fairly uneventful. I had my dad sit in the stand two evenings and only Cows came in. Yesterday afternoon he went back up and sat in it and right before dark a spike bull came in and he sealed the deal. The bull is not the one of the big guys that were coming in but it ended up being his first bull with a bow (he is and always will be a meat hunter). He shoots a 20 year old Darton bow (bare bow and fingers).
48c0896d610fd7fe.jpg

It more than made my year to help him to take a bull with a bow.

3Fletch!

Good deal, I decided to do rifle this year saw a pick of a good bull a 7x6 off 140 from this year....

Most likely the one in the Bly area and yes it was a dandy. He has been after that bull for 4 years and finally got him. Kudos to him...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-08 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]I believe the spike dad got is the same one in the second photo in post #28.

3Fletch

A couple of small bulls are regular visiters but none of the big guys are showing themselves at the lick. I have located a few of the big ones in the surounding area but they are not ready to talk yet. I will be hunting most of next week and I will see if I can change that. I will let you know.

keep @ it, N good luck, I'm getting ansty myself and kinda regret not getting a bow tag....

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-08 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Well I could not pass up an opportunity at any bull with a bow in Western Oregon, so when I set up on Tuesday afternoon and called in a spike I had to take the shot. He came in silent and tried to get the wind in his favor, I heard him several times walking around. I never got a look at him until I moved so I could look further down the canyon. He was standing in some dark timber and I had to use my binoculars to see that he was a bull. I had a 6" wide gap between two trees to shoot through to get to his vitals. I made the shot and he went about 30 yards and then rolled down the canyon about 30 more yards.

48d1b73b48d5e515.jpg

48d1b76c4a68e339.jpg

He actually is a nice sized bull for a spike. He should eat very well. My brother has yet to kill anything so I will try to call one in for him before the end of the season.

Thank you. My brother had a big 5x6 come by his stand today and never was given the opportunity for a shot. He has one week left and only the weekends to hunt. I wish him luck.

>Thank you. My brother had
>a big 5x6 come by
>his stand today and never
>was given the opportunity for
>a shot. He has
>one week left and only
>the weekends to hunt.
>I wish him luck.

well if he needs any help don't hesitate to let me know .lol

hey, you been out buck huntin yet, was out at the flats today i think the deer are still up top cause we only seen 6 deer and one small buck, you?.......

I took my 13 year old daughter hunting on opening morning and she got a nice little 3x3. We saw 3 bucks and she passed on 2 forked horns. I will post pictures later...

On Saturday I went into the flats with two friends and we saw some deer but they appeared to be resident deer. I am bow hunting so I was just there as a bird dog and a spotter. I noticed at least 4 trucks on the power line road and that canyon looked like a pumpkin patch. I heard 10 or 11 shots and several sounded like they hit their intended target....

just wondering how you guys are doing on the buks, hit the east, west, and south ends of the monument havn't seen many bucks... you?

Manny: If this new weather pattern holds you should see them showing themselves in the next few days... The blue bird weather we were having had them down early and up all night.. The bucks we saw were jumped out of beds very early in the morning. We will go back out this weekend up high and I will set up my trailcams again. I took them down for rifle season and now I have to start my late season scouting... It is supposed to rain for the next few days, that ought to get them up and moving...

Good luck

i kinda thought so, it was hot, not used to the monument yet....
we'll be out this week end also, shoot a bigun. Manny

Funny you should ask, I just got this guy today. I was holding out for an older buck and I got just what I wanted.

49373f7719942244.jpg

nice buk, n dark horns must of spent alot time in the timber, was he rutting?

Yes, he had two girlfriends with him and I got between them and him. Like they always do this time of the year, he had to follow the does. I hit him perfect and he went about 60 yards and was done....

I was asked to post another picture of the buck I got this year. Here you go...

49600d247b7fb698.jpg

Back
Top Bottom