Wet Weekend for Scouting

hntbambi

I packed up the motorcycle and headed to the Apache National Forest to do some scouting for elk hunting. It was an adventure. I had a couple of spots picked out just by looking at the maps and headed in to see what they looked like for real.

As I was about 20 miles from the paved road, a strap that was holding down some of my gear came loose and fell into the chain. The chain popped off of the sprocket. DOH! Ok, no real biggie, start digging for the tool kit. The rain starts. Just my luck. I finally get the bike back together and moving again and the rain starts pouring. Lightning flashing and thunder booming. I was at the top of the mountain and had no desire to be the newest lightning rod. I haul tail down the mountain on my bike in mud and after a few wrong turns eventually make it back to pavement. I was soaked and cold by then and decided to get to a hotel in Reserve.

A nice warm shower in the Rode Inn really hit the spot. Back out this morning to find my spot for ML season. I found some elk sign along with a couple fresh rubs. I did not see any elk, but the signs look promising. Weather was again coming in and I said good enough, and pointed the bike south to come home to Las Cruces. I stayed just ahead of the storm until Demming, as I got on I-10 the sky opened up. About 5 miles later it stopped and it was smooth sailing home. What a ride. Reserve to Las Cruces in 3.5 hours.

What a difference in gas prices. Las Cruces is $3.45 for Unleaded, Reserve is $4.07 for Unleaded. Glad I took the motorcycle.

Good luck to those starting tomorow.

I went to 34 and got soaked as well. Friday night I had 2 bulls bugling at camp. I started cow calling and called one in to camp but was too dark to see the size. About 3am it started raining, it was just a drizzle at daylight, so I went for a hike. The rain increased and remained staedy until 4pm. I spent most of the day under a tree waiting for an ease in the rain. Once it stopped, I had a bull bugle then another answer on a seperate ridge. By 6pm it was raining hard! I got soaked and returned home. If it slows up, I am going back up...hearing those bulls bugling was exciting!

Good luck on your hunt.

good luck on your hunt.
I just got back from taking the wife on a weeks vacation and I leave Friday for 34. Staying all season.

Let me know how you do Bob and we will hopefully share some photos.

I returned Sunday and hunted Monday morning. Monday was beautiful and the bulls were fired up. I heard 8 different bulls, called 2 in. You should have a great time.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom