What a trip!!!

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Here ya go guys. Not the biggest bull I saw up there but I am definitely pleased. Anybody care to guess the score?

46f1c5d255d2cd71.jpg

46f1c5f6563611dd.jpg

46f1c615576f69a4.jpg

Nice bull!! Let's hear the story. Did you bugle him in? How far was the shot?

I don't have much experience scoring elk on the hoof and again dead, but I will guess 303. ????

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Big congrats to you. That is a nice bull for sure. I also will guess that he is very close to 300... I guess 295.

Enjoy the memories and share with us.

LuckyFool

Hunted HARD for eight days on and off as work wouldn't let me pound it like I wanted but all's well. I was in elk every day but the wind was so unpredictable that if it could go wrong it did! I never saw my BIG BOY but there's always next year! They are just now really starting to get really fired up so calling wasn't working for me. I would try and sneak in on bulls by following their bugles but the @$%@! wind just wouldn't stay constant. Yesterday morning I decided to try sitting on a waterhole I had found the night before and at 3:45 this guy came in. I couldn't pass on him. 35 yard pin and let 'er fly. I guess he must have turned slightly towards me as he decided to get back up two hours later but he was hurting too bad and after about an hour of stalking I got within 15 yards and finished it.

I say 290 Gross Beautiful Bull. So When do we start focusing on the Ibex man??? How do you draw a big bull permit and an Ibex the same year. I really must not be in the "in" crowd.
Congrats man.

Jordan

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-07 AT 10:46AM (MST)[p]Junior thinks right and it was money well spent! This is the result of a 20 year "quest" for a nice elk mount for my wall. I have been on an adrenalin high for two whole days now!!! On a side note... my cousin is trying to tell me this bull is only three to four years old and I for one am NOT buying it. Game warden said 8-10 and taxi said "at least eight"

Congrats on a great bull Cookie! Thats a heck of a nice elk and should look absolutely great on the wall. The last picture is the best to try and size him up. He looks to have a real blocky head so I think he's a bit older , but your country down there grows em big on the hoof even at 3-4 years old. I think he is well into 300 and looking at the bottom pic I think he'll stretch the tape 324-326ish. He looks real symetrical and heavy and am certain the pics do not give this bull due justice, I'm thinking he is easily into the 320s'...Again congrats on thanks for sharing it , nice shot by the way....

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-07 AT 02:03PM (MST)[p]Gettin' close Nutt! Now I'm in dire need of any ideas on how to mount this beast so I can show him off on my "mobile Home." 7 foot ceilings don't leave a lot of room for something this size! any ideas?

GREAT BULL Curtis.

Whatever he scores, he's a hell of a trophy.

You did good sir. Thanks for the pictures.

Larry

I'll guess 328. I don't know if he's that old though. I have one bull that is about 9 yrs old. he had no back teeth and only about 1/8" left in front. His coloration in the face was very dull brown. his legs and underside were also very dull brown. Your bull is very very black everywhere. All old animals loose significant coloration. He cant be 8 to 9 yrs old. Notheless he's a good bull.

on second thoughts that bull isn't that great. My wife's first elk looks better than that calf.

Oh.........Thanks I guess I'll just have to post pics and GPS coordinates of all those elk we've been chasin. Just remember my gila 400's are still a mystery to you. Better be nice curtis.

I have to give him credit guys. He cant hear buglin bulls to save his life so I thought he didn't have a prayer. Took my father to the gila and tried to stalk a 400 bull twice. He sounds like a rino and cant hear a bull bugle at 10 yards. He missed several 320 bulls and I won't mention the rest. When Curtis and me went out he stalked to within 60 yard of about 10 different bulls and never came through due to very thick folage. When we decided to sit water I thought all hope was lost. No one in my family has any patience to sit for a whole day. When He called me at 4pm and let me know what happened I was elated. He's the first person in my family to kill a bull with a bow. If you guys want I will post a pic I took the day before of the 8 x 6 he got to within 30 yards of.

I'll send you a pick of a 5x5 that the form was altered just a bit but looks great...

Congrats Cookie! Nicely done! I was wondering where the pic was when you called your bull inadequate in my wife's thread. I would say your bull is a stud!

The pedestal will give you wall and ceiling room. Be careful though, Keep the pedestal as small as you can without getting too small. I have seen pedestals that look like dining room tables. My pedestal is on the small side, but could have been just a little smaller!

Again, GREAT bull!!!!!!

Hey cookie i was looking at your bull an noticed that knob on top of the base.

Have you noticed alot of our bulls in this area have that. I think its unique to our area. Some just have a bump there some have almost another tine.

hey Paul, it is another tine although I don't care if it counts or not as I like the typical 6x6 frame the best. That tine is 2" long. And yes I have noticed that we have a lot of that around here. BTW everybody he goes 328 and change.

Taxi,
No problem dude, and thanks. While I have you, what do you think about a full sneak, right turn, bugling, and then a left tilt on the head for a pedestal mount? I live in a mobile home and need more space to mount him!

Cool, that's what I'm going for. Not too much tilt on the head, just enough that the dagger tips aren't on the ceiling. that should allow me enough clearance to make the pedestal around 18" high instead of 12" or less!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom