What am I doing wrong.

huntn30inchers

I went up Ninemile today with the weather thinking that it would be a done deal to go up and cut a track and fill my B tag. So long story short I made a 5 or 6 mile loop and only saw one track that disappeared after about 300 yards. I dont know the first thing about whitetail deer and was just looking for some direction. I know there are deer somewhere up there but the only deer I ever see are in peoples yards right off the main road.

In the fall of 1971, I was in my 2nd year at the U of M. Three of us went hunting on the Nine Mile, my best friend Andy and his friend Scott. Andy did not hunt but had a tag and Scott filled the tag with a 2 point buck. In 3 or 4 hours I made a 5 or 6 mile loop and never saw a deer -- what did I do wrong?

After I told my story, Scott said that I moved way to fast and never took the time to hunt. Bull-poop if a person wants an animal he must move fast make it to the top of the mountain first and hike to farest point. A week later Scott shot a 407 6/8 non-typical. Check the BC book.

As time when on I learn to go slow, look, listen and hunt.

I'll second what was posted before. Slow way way down, sit more than you move.

Stan

I will be the first to say that I move too fast while im out hunting, especially with my rifle, but I really felt that I wasnt moving super fast and it really surprised me that I didnt see any sign in the fresh snow. Could I be too high? Do the deer move down pre-rut? It seems that all the shooting I hear is lower on the mountain than I have been hunting but I think all that is private land. Im just frustrated because I'm brand new to hunting timber and I dont know what my problem is.

From what I hear from people who live in Nine Mile, the wolves have knocked the heard numbers way down in that area. Just hearsay.

Mark

They don't call them gray ghosts for nothing. Whitey does can be some the most frustrating animals on the planet, especially the timber.
Last night, I took to just sitting on the edge of a clearcut, right up until I couldn't see anything anymore. I was shocked at the number of deer that rolled out of that timber right before dark. If I would have went tooling off walking around in the timber, I would not have seen anything.

>They don't call them gray ghosts
>for nothing. Whitey does
>can be some the most
>frustrating animals on the planet,
>especially the timber.
>Last night, I took to just
>sitting on the edge of
>a clearcut, right up until
>I couldn't see anything anymore.
> I was shocked at
>the number of deer that
>rolled out of that timber
>right before dark. If
>I would have went tooling
>off walking around in the
>timber, I would not have
>seen anything.

Mule deer are the ones called "gray ghosts", not whiteys

Not where I come from. Nothing ghostly about a stupid mule deer.

Why don't you just do an internet search, gray ghost deer and see how many whitetail hunts come up.

What part of the state are you in? Cause if you are in region 2 and are willing to share the location of that clearcut I would love to get out there a put a doe in the freezer.

>Not where I come from.
>Nothing ghostly about a stupid
>mule deer.
>
>Why don't you just do an
>internet search, gray ghost deer
>and see how many whitetail
>hunts come up.
>
>

Hmmmm....so David Long's new book coming out next fall, titled "Gray Ghosts of the High Country" is about whitetails???? I was under the impression he was a mule deer hunter...and a damn good one at that.

This is the 'real' gray ghost.

live_kudu.jpg

Mule deer are called the grey ghosts, but they should be called the grey rocks.
Hate to let you know there is nothing ghostly about a mule deer compared to a whitetail.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Haha, maybe in Montana. The muleys in Nevada don't act the same way as they do here. Now I know why everyone in Montana has no respect for these little bitty muley bucks you've got running around, get on a mature buck in the sagebrush and rim-rock and tell me what you think.

Not saying muleys are fish in a barrel but I have chased muleys and whitetails, in my experience, it is easier to shoot a mature muley over a mature whitetail(whitetails that are wild, no ranch, no feeders, cause that is fish in a barrel).

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I have been hunting muleys all my life, never have killed the "big one", been whitetail hunting twice. First time killed a 135" ten point, last year went again in Montana and killed a high 160's/low 170's gross 11 point. He was a smart deer, but I saw whitey after whitey, I am a little biased here but big muleys, not your average buck but a big mature buck are the treasure to me. They don't act like regular muleys, just my 2 cents

Rich

>Haha, maybe in Montana. The muleys
>in Nevada don't act the
>same way as they do
>here. Now I know why
>everyone in Montana has no
>respect for these little bitty
>muley bucks you've got running
>around, get on a mature
>buck in the sagebrush and
>rim-rock and tell me what
>you think.

Ask those montanans how many really big muleys they've shot...the answer is always "none"

The big ones are smart here too...

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-08 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]grey ghost? in the whitetail that would be couse deer. post up ur pics of all those stupid big mule deer will ya?

The two years I've hunted whitetails I have killed 140 inch deer and every one I have hunted with has done about the same. Easiest hunt I have ever been on, including jack rabbits.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-08 AT 01:02PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-08
>AT 09:07?PM (MST)

>
>

>The two years I've hunted whitetails
>I have killed 140 inch
>deer and every one I
>have hunted with has done
>about the same. Easiest
>hunt I have ever been
>on, including jack rabbits.

sure would like to see pics of all these big whitetails you are shooting and if it is really that easy im sure you wouldnt mind sending everyone exact directions and details.ive been hunting whitetails in western montana all my life and dont see deer like that, the biggest whitetail ive killed is 162 and the biggest mulie is a unique 8-5 there was a little luck involved with both,but if you compare younger bucks,does and young deer it is way easier to kill a mule deer,when you start talkiny mature old bucks anything can happen and they are both very intelligent,try hunting whities in the timber before you start ranting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom